F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 2018 iDrive 320i to 2014 328i retrofit?
Studio RSR

05-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #1
bmwtrainee
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

2018 iDrive 320i to 2014 328i retrofit?

Hey all,

BMW newbie here. I'm a big tech guy / audiophile. I have a 2014 328i (I'm happy to figure out all of the codes and options etc if needed). It has the standard iDrive system in it (bluetooth calling only, no bluetooth music streaming etc).

I currently am driving a BMW loaner as my vehicle is being serviced. The loaner is a 2018 320i. The iDrive system is the new system with touch screen display, navigation, bluetooth everything, etc. It's, well, awesome in my opinion.

Now, my question, and I apologize in advance, I'm not a huge forum user, so if this belongs somewhere else...

Is there any official retrofits that would be able to get the new 2018 head unit / display / touch screen and audio components in my 2014 328i? If not, are there any aftermarket systems?

I still have a factory warranty, and basically don't want to invalidate it. Ok with paying a little extra at the BMW dealership.

Thanks so much in advance!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtrainee View Post
Hey all,

BMW newbie here. I'm a big tech guy / audiophile. I have a 2014 328i (I'm happy to figure out all of the codes and options etc if needed). It has the standard iDrive system in it (bluetooth calling only, no bluetooth music streaming etc).

I currently am driving a BMW loaner as my vehicle is being serviced. The loaner is a 2018 320i. The iDrive system is the new system with touch screen display, navigation, bluetooth everything, etc. It's, well, awesome in my opinion.

Now, my question, and I apologize in advance, I'm not a huge forum user, so if this belongs somewhere else...

Is there any official retrofits that would be able to get the new 2018 head unit / display / touch screen and audio components in my 2014 328i? If not, are there any aftermarket systems?

I still have a factory warranty, and basically don't want to invalidate it. Ok with paying a little extra at the BMW dealership.

Thanks so much in advance!
No official retrofits.

There are OEM hacks but its not cheap, especially if you want touchscreen. If you want to keep connected drive it’s much more complicated.

There are aftermarket non-OEM “hacks” but they are not very good and riddled with issues.

steve@codemybimmer
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 03:48 PM   #3
rhennessey3
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Smile

Hey , it is possible . With these two caveats.

1) connected drive is dependant upon a telematics unit which is located in either the trunk or the roof of 2017+ models of 3,4,5,6 maybe X ? not sure...
the connected drive is from what i understand connected to a micro chip not so unlike your cell phone - which has a unique identifiying chip which is matched to the head unit ( NBT5/6 with GPS ) All that said.... its possible to use a nb5/6 unit flashed with a matched vin to the telematics unit - not the other way around. IT also involved running wires to your telematics unit.

2) touch screen is possible with proper coding.

I would recommend shooting for car-play or android configuration. Connected drive is cool but i forsee BMW going the way of integrated apps from remote devices . thats just my gut feeling... i doubt BMW will continue to support its own connected drive apps much with the development platform of mobile ios and andriod being so much easier .

So check out the bimmertech website and look at the retrofit kits. if you have the money its the easiest path forward.

If you dont have the money you can try to locate the parts

NBT 5/6 head unit with blue gps terminal in the back of the unit.
Itouch dial controller for center console
Wireharness and telematics emulator to get rid of the telematics issue.
After you install everything correctly you will need to code your car or use a remote coding service so that it works correctly in your vehicle.

Im currently in process of locating all the parts on my own. If anyone in the forum would be willing to chime in on NB5/6 serial numbers or bring clarity to which head units work that it would be awesome !

Good luck man !
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2018, 05:38 PM   #4
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

You can jus do nbt and not the newer evo. No touchscreen or id5 but still big improvement. That’s what I did. Same car as you.
Appreciate 0