F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Greasy looking car - Sapphire black
proTUNING Freaks

04-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #1
silver28
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 435i xdrive 6 speed

Greasy looking car - Sapphire black

Hey guys - just got this last month and only in the sun did I realize the paint looked like this. I can't wipe or wash it off...wondering how do I get this off? Assume this is from a crappy wax job?

The car was pre-owned so don't think I can ask them to take it off.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
CS328Ci
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Your car is not greasy and does not have film of fluid. The clearcoat is marred up causing micro-scratches and swirl marks. These scratches give your car that kind of halo appearance.

Your car requires a cut-polish to remove the damage. You can look up in the detailing subforum how to remove it yourself or look up a reputable car detailer in your area to help you remove it.
Appreciate 1
BrettKA7566.50
      04-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Wow - previous owner did not know what they were doing - or maybe it was the dealer's "detailing" crew...

That being said, yes, only a paint correction will get rid of this. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:13 PM   #4
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Solution:

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS328Ci View Post
Your car is not greasy and does not have film of fluid. The clearcoat is marred up causing micro-scratches and swirl marks. These scratches give your car that kind of halo appearance.

Your car requires a cut-polish to remove the damage. You can look up in the detailing subforum how to remove it yourself or look up a reputable car detailer in your area to help you remove it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonkey View Post
Wow - previous owner did not know what they were doing - or maybe it was the dealer's "detailing" crew...

That being said, yes, only a paint correction will get rid of this. Good luck.
What these guys said--it is not as bad as it looks--you could used a DA polisher and some Meguiar's M205 or M105 and take it out. In taking out my swirls on my BSM I have at times been left with micro-marring and had to go back over and take it out.
      04-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
silver28
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks - I figure I should be able to "buff it out" but as I haven't waxed a car in 20 years, not sure what's out there. I'll research more but thanks for the initial advice here.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Research detailing & holograms - plenty of info about this common issue:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...QF0xhipujfs.97
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...polishing.html
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
madmonkey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi Alpine White

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in VA View Post
Research detailing & holograms - plenty of info about this common issue:
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...QF0xhipujfs.97
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...polishing.html
Both links posted by John are excellent sources of info.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
silver28
Private First Class
Rep

So an update to my greasy car. I finally had a chance to fix it for the spring. Thanks for all the advice here and also found a lot of info on Reddit.

Here's what I did in a nut shell - bought almost everything from Amazon except for the waxes.
- Two bucket wash with new microfiber wash mitts
- Clay bar
- Clean up using alcohol wash
- Meguires Ultimate Compound with Chemical Guy Orange hex pad using the Porter Cable DA Polisher
- Meguires Ultimate Polish using white hex pad
- Meguires Spray on Detailing wax (got lazy)

I got out all the swirls, and lots of scratches, but some still remain but fairly minor. Took 4-5 hours over two days. The DA polisher is amazing, so easy to use. Overall, not 100% perfect but good enough to my liking. I was parked one day near a pizza joint during lunch where a bunch of high schoolers were coming towards...saw a few people staring, a few others saying "clean", etc, etc.

Anyway though I would share my success story!
Attached Images

Appreciate 6
      05-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Excellent - good work!
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

I have BSM 335 and I give my car a good polish twice a year. Usually my spring polish it 3 step and my fall is just a light polish seal. My paint looks great.

M105\lake country cyan cutting pad
M205\lake country tangerine light polish pad
jescar/menzerna power lock sealant.
All steps using my porter cable RA polisher.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #12
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post
I have BSM 335 and I give my car a good polish twice a year. Usually my spring polish it 3 step and my fall is just a light polish seal. My paint looks great.

you'll have no clear coat in a few years if you keep doing that twice a year.
      06-05-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
Tribalpinoy911
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F34

Good job many people don't know the difference between a swirl x scratchx or compound
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2018, 02:16 PM   #14
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanbmw View Post

You should only be polishing when absolutely necessary. Remember, polishing is basically removing a very very thin amount of clear coat to even out the microscratches and swirl marks. Preventative measure is better than polishing. That means 2 bucket system, using a foam cannon, etc. Wax will help fill in those swirls too, it's a more temporary, but less abrasive method than polishing. If you don't have to polish for years, you are doing it right.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82

Last edited by jmg; 06-07-2018 at 04:53 PM..
Appreciate 2
      06-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #15
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
You should only be polishing when absolutely necessary.
+1. I just did a full recon of my three year old F34, as there were enough scratches in the paint to justify it. I rubbed it out with Menzerna 400, then Menzerna 2500, finished it off with Power Lock. I normally do Power Lock each spring and fall. Last year I also used Menzerna 2500 in the spring. I only did the 400 because I had to go that strong to get rid of the sanding marks where the paint was repaired, and then 2500 to get rid of the swirl marks left by the 400, which look like the pictures at the top of the thread, but not nearly that bad.They obviously did a quick rub out to try to make the paint look fresh but probably did it in less than an hour, then didn't follow it up with a machine polish to get rid of the swirls.
Appreciate 1
wdeerfield2745.00
      06-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #16
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
This is clearly the result of some idiot improperly using a buffer that was either dirty or using a buffer on an improperly cleaned car. Take it to the best auto detailer you can find. Preferably one who works on high end cars. They will be able to make it look streak free. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #17
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver28 View Post
So an update to my greasy car. I finally had a chance to fix it for the spring. Thanks for all the advice here and also found a lot of info on Reddit.

Here's what I did in a nut shell - bought almost everything from Amazon except for the waxes.
- Clay bar
- Meguires Ultimate Compound with Chemical Guy Orange hex pad using the Porter Cable DA Polisher

I got out all the swirls, and lots of scratches, but some still remain but fairly minor.

Took 4-5 hours over two days. The DA polisher is amazing, so easy to use. Overall, not 100% perfect but good enough to my liking. I was parked one day near a pizza joint during lunch where a bunch of high schoolers were coming towards...saw a few people staring, a few others saying "clean", etc, etc.

Looks much better.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:43 PM   #18
silver28
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
This is clearly the result of some idiot improperly using a buffer that was either dirty or using a buffer on an improperly cleaned car. Take it to the best auto detailer you can find. Preferably one who works on high end cars. They will be able to make it look streak free. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Ya it's called the BMW dealership where I bought the car. I only noticed it after I took the car home and on a sunny day a week later. They told me they would fix it and I refused...they did enough damage already!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:31 PM   #19
f32king
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F32

Quote:

- Clay bar

I got out all the swirls, and lots of scratches, but some still remain but fairly minor. Took 4-5 hours over two days. The DA polisher is amazing, so easy to use. Overall, not 100% perfect but good enough to my liking. I was parked one day near a pizza joint during lunch where a bunch of high schoolers were coming towards...saw a few people staring, a few others saying "clean", etc, etc.

A great work. That is very beautiful black car, so well I own a black BMW F32 too, but your car is blacker than my car. Because well during this time many pollen came, so thats why I am very lazy to wash my car always...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #20
M2Rush
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335i x-drive

Quote:

- Clay bar

You're one brave soul brotha! Looks great!
Appreciate 0