F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > are ACS springs needed for the 435d?
ARMA SPEED

07-07-2018, 03:19 PM   #23
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlad99 View Post
tThanks guys for the feedback

I think I'll be ok with the lower ride on ACS springs, as the more I stare at the wheels when having a cig at the front door the more I keep staring at and noticing the unusually larger gap between the wheels and arches due to xDrive lol

Are you saying I need to spacers to maintain that gap? I thought many people get ACS springs to not only firm up the comfort ride but also reduce that gap so it looks normal ?
Lower ride height reduces the arch gap but doesn't change the relationship between the face of the wheels and the outside edge of the arch. Spacers move the wheels further out, which can help with stance (if that's something that you like the look of).
Exactly this. The wheels look a bit pushed in but it might not bother you in which case you don't need them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 03:24 PM   #24
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

You'd have to fit ridiculously lowered springs to move the face of the inwards due to an increase in negative camber.

Spacers move the wheel outwards on the hub to bring the wheel face more in line with the outside face of the wheel arch. Again, you'd have to fit thick spacers for the wheel face to protrude beyond the arch.

I have 12mm front and rear. Some fit 12/15 F/R. Many don't run spacers.

It all depends on what you like the look of.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #25
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435d Convertible xDrive M Sprt

Just a quick read up since my last post, which corroborates exactly what you guys are saying too, it seems I deff need to get the spacers, which ACS also provide, and most with 20" and xDrive appear to get 12mm front and 15mm rear.

Thanks guys. It goes in for its end of year warranty check in a week, so I'll aim to get this stuff after and give you an update.. just want to make sure the car is not a dud before spending more on it lol
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 01:45 PM   #26
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep

I think I've just realised the car doesnt have adaptive suspension, so just 435d xDrive . So is it xDrive that causes the floaty ride then?

in my iDrive settings it lists drivetrain & chassis, but I believe without adaptive, only the steering is made firmer (even though the car does feel much less floaty when in sport) but the the vin listing doesnt mention adaptive.

Is there a visual way without it going under a ramp to tell fully confirm?

If it has none, it seems you can get sports suspension for the xDrive, which whether adaptive or passive, does away with adaptive anyway...

https://shop.rossiters.co.uk/sports-...rom-3712-p.asp

But you have to select in adavance if the car comes with adaptive or not, so I dont want to pick the wrong one

Last edited by madlad2000; 07-08-2018 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 02:20 PM   #27
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Swing the car onto full lock and take a look at the damper. Adaptive has a proportional valve block on the side of the damper strut, with a wire coming out of it.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:14 PM   #28
drykoke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Peugeot 408 1.2GT

Quote:
I think I've just realised the car doesnt have adaptive suspension, so just 435d xDrive . So is it xDrive that causes the floaty ride then?

If it has none, it seems you can get sports suspension for the xDrive, which whether adaptive or passive, does away with adaptive anyway...

https://shop.rossiters.co.uk/sports-...rom-3712-p.asp

But you have to select in adavance if the car comes with adaptive or not, so I dont want to pick the wrong one
XDrive has similar floaty characteristics as SE suspension.
If you contact Lorcan at Rossiters with your VIN, he should be able to help select the correct one.y
Appreciate 1
Watsey6406.50
      07-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #29
madlad2000
Private First Class
Rep

I've just taken a pic..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vp3UhGDzXnaSveD7A

That looks like no adaptive suspension right?

It's strange though as flicking to sports mode makes the car less bouncey.

Also, can anyone tell me what the difference is between sorts mode and flicking the auto to the left... I've just driven home from work trying both out, they both seem sportier, but slightly different from each other but I don't know how?

If they're the same, I could then just swap sport mode from drivetrain & chassis, to use chassis, and always run it in sport mode for the firmer ride. Then when I want actual sport mode speed, flick the auto shift to the right which will enable drivetrain too?
Appreciate 0