F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Air suspension kit on F32 440i xDrive???
Studio RSR
View Poll Results: Which suspension set up?
Accuair E-Level Electronic Leveling System 1 10.00%
Sport Spring Set 1 10.00%
Performance Coil Overs 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

09-04-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
grantheider
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive with MPPSK

Air suspension kit on F32 440i xDrive???

Anyone have experience with an air suspension kit on their 3 or 4 series? Seems like it would be cool to adjust ride hight on the fly.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantheider View Post
Anyone have experience with an air suspension kit on their 3 or 4 series? Seems like it would be cool to adjust ride hight on the fly.
It's a product made by clowns for other clowns.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2017, 08:25 PM   #3
grantheider
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xDrive with MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
hahaha, what are some of the downsides of air suspension?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 08:42 PM   #4
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
hahaha, what are some of the downsides of air suspension?
There are plenty of downsides and very few upsides. Downsides including rising spring rates for one. Others include unnecessarily increasing the complexity of your suspension which usually results in decreased reliability.

Air suspension may be found in the rear suspension of SUVs and they definitely have a functional purpose there. But if you have a performance car, one good way to turn it into a non-performance car is to f*ck with suspension dynamics.

If air suspension were so great, you'd see it more frequently on the track instead of stock, BMW M Performance Suspension Kits, Ohlins and AST coilovers. But I'd take a wild guess and say that the only demographic you'd see air suspension installs on is the stance/clown crowd.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2017, 09:27 PM   #5
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: A nice car

Quote:
There are plenty of downsides and very few upsides. Downsides including rising spring rates for one. Others include unnecessarily increasing the complexity of your suspension which usually results in decreased reliability.

Air suspension may be found in the rear suspension of SUVs and they definitely have a functional purpose there. But if you have a performance car, one good way to turn it into a non-performance car is to f*ck with suspension dynamics.

If air suspension were so great, you'd see it more frequently on the track instead of stock, BMW M Performance Suspension Kits, Ohlins and AST coilovers. But I'd take a wild guess and say that the only demographic you'd see air suspension installs on is the stance/clown crowd.
Agree with most points above. It's also good for old ppl cars like s class, Lincoln continental, tesla model s, etc so they don't feel the road.

ZCP | ZHP | ZTR | ZE0 | MSport | ZMP | DHP | MStickerPack | THP | MPPSK | MPPK
BMW MSP Lightweight Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 12:27 PM   #6
cdwalls
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32

I had airride on my previous VW for 3 years. I can't even fathom anybody thinking of putting that stuff on a newer model BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Air suspension has come a long way, there's a video I saw not long ago testing air and coilovers intensively on the track. Air was on par with coilovers if not better on some test.
Used to be mainly for vanity but there's been some thrive in riding performance from what i see.
Appreciate 1
bmbweber235.50
      10-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #8
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Quote:
Holy shit you win all fucking comments for a year on here!!

And yes OP, air ride is a fucking joke.....just to associate yourself with the crowd that finds that amusing is a fucking insult. I don't care if it's a bagged GTR, Ferrari, or fucking Volvo....the shit is like having a tough looking beard, and thinking your tough- then wearing homo ass skinny jeans. Don't do it. Please.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #9
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
Air suspension has come a long way, there's a video I saw not long ago testing air and coilovers intensively on the track. Air was on par with coilovers if not better on some test.
Used to be mainly for vanity but there's been some thrive in riding performance from what i see.
So saw that too. It was bullshit. Bags degrade at an extremely fast rate, their elasticity/rebound and characteristics go bad fast. That's why they are not good for performance based cars.

They are good for the fuckboy crowd though!
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2017, 09:14 PM   #10
jv004
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
So saw that too. It was bullshit. Bags degrade at an extremely fast rate, their elasticity/rebound and characteristics go bad fast. That's why they are not good for performance based cars.

LOL someone must of done you guys wrong

I don't hate people with air suspension, I think they're awesome on newer decent cars, but I do think they're lame on old beaters. I would never have them on my daily driver though but would definitely have it on a weekend car if I had the finances.

Last edited by jv004; 10-25-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
bmbweber235.50
      10-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jv004 View Post
Quote:

LOL someone must of done you guys wrong

I don't hate people with air suspension, I think they're awesome on newer decent cars, but I do think they're lame on old beaters. I would never have them on my daily driver though but would definitely have it on a weekend car if I had the finances.
I don't hate the people, I hate their type....skinny jeans, Jordan's, typical fuckboy stance scene follower crowd-pleaser "do it for the gram" crowd. I'm sure those guys, and their male life partners are very nice people! May be my age and my "less tolerant of bullshit" attitude as the years go by but a spade is a spade.

Even the hydraulic low rider crowd hates bags. That's just what it is man.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 02:45 PM   #12
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport

You guys sound extremely salty.

I had high end air suspension on my previous G37 for 4 years. Zero issues other than it requiring more maintenance. Rides great, there is no such thing as "bag elasticity/rebound degrading." If there was they wouldn't be found on 1M mile semi's or be DOT approved.

I'd be willing to be the ones in here talking shit have no experience with air, they just despise the crowd that it's associated with.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2017, 03:51 PM   #13
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Pretty accurate IMO.
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2017, 05:40 PM   #14
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbweber View Post

I had high end air suspension on my previous G37 for 4 years. Zero issues other than it requiring more maintenance. Rides great, there is no such thing as "bag elasticity/rebound degrading." If there was they wouldn't be found on 1M mile semi's or be DOT approved.

I'd be willing to be the ones in here talking shit have no experience with air, they just despise the crowd that it's associated with.
Hey bud.....I'm a corporate Safety Director that deals mostly with DOT compliance (and other over the road shit obviously) those bags do wear out very often, as they are designed to. Those things fail regularly, ask any truck driver. Those pillows are made to cushion heavy loads. Explain to me again how that improves performance in a sport compact car? Lol you can't.

There is no argument here, shit is stupid, shit looks stupid and stupid fucking people are into that "culture".
Appreciate 1
Polo088161593.50
      10-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #15
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Hey bud.....I'm a corporate Safety Director that deals mostly with DOT compliance (and other over the road shit obviously) those bags do wear out very often, as they are designed to. Those things fail regularly, ask any truck driver. Those pillows are made to cushion heavy loads. Explain to me again how that improves performance in a sport compact car? Lol you can't.

There is no argument here, shit is stupid, shit looks stupid and stupid fucking people are into that "culture".
You sound like a 5 year old throwing a fit lol

But I'm going to guess ur about a 45 yr old BMW purist who still sit on forums to tell millennials what they should and shouldn't do with their money

Nobody gives a shit about your opinion that is based off zero personal experience, sorry to tell you.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #16
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You sound like a 5 year old throwing a fit lol

But I'm going to guess ur about a 45 yr old BMW purist who still sit on forums to tell millennials what they should and shouldn't do with their money

Nobody gives a shit about your opinion that is based off zero personal experience, sorry to tell you.
38 years young here, not really a purist but that's irrelevant.....and I'm not on the forum telling people what to do with their money, but I will steer youngsters away from committing present day fuckery! I figure you're about what....24 Brett?? so I understand the issue you face. That's a universal issue with today's kids in general. I know your dumbass already wasted money on that bullshit, I'd be mad too if I didn't know how I was perceived, it must suck.
OP was looking for opinions. Read the initial post that's all I was doing there with that.

Now let's talk about what you were trying to say, but couldn't , which led to your saltiness. Your retarded ass was trying to say that there is a "performance" aspect of air ride for sport compacts (or tuner modded cars) which is absolutely not the case. If you think there is, prove it with some data. 4 years riding on a ghetto ass infinity G is not data.
I have 20+ years of IDRC, NHRA, SCCA racing/licensing and various other racing org experience, teach me something about air ride and how many race cars use it. You prob have a better knowledge of vape mods and skinny jeans!

I'll wait.

Get some years in here then contribute.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #17
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll read it one day.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #18
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
No problem junior, but I know you already read it and couldn't come up with jack shit to say in response.

Enjoy those bags!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:04 PM   #19
bmbweber
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No problem junior, but I know you already read it and couldn't come up with jack shit to say in response.

Enjoy those bags!
No, I really didn't, old timer. I'll enjoy both my cars equipped with KW and Ohlins suspension, thanks.

Maybe if you didn't spend so much time arguing on forums with 24yr olds, you would drive nicer cars than us
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #20
classyfast
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Enjoy those bags!
No, I really didn't, old timer. I'll enjoy both my cars equipped with KW and Ohlins suspension, thanks.

Maybe if you didn't spend so much time arguing on forums with 24yr olds, you would drive nicer cars than us
Hey dickhead, read some posts.....I have an e36m, e46m, the f30 335 and a 17 X1. The last two are daily beaters....and the company I work for pays for those 2 along with fuel, so what are you trying to get at? When you have money you get into cars you enjoy driving. Do you think a 335 or a petty ass 435 is a luxury car? Lol. You have much to learn kid.

Someday when you wake up and move out of your parents house or the bullshit apartment you most likely live in because your spending your nut on that 435 monthly......you might get to the level that most of the "successful" folks on here are at.

Until you have a couple Mill in property and assets in multiple states, you own 4-6 cars at a time, and you have enough invested to retire at 43.....take a walk.

You should be asking me for life tips!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #21
classyfast
Banned
Rep

OP: So sorry man! I'm done no more bs
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 06:52 PM   #22
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Hey dickhead, read some posts.....I have an e36m, e46m, the f30 335 and a 17 X1. The last two are daily beaters....and the company I work for pays for that along with fuel, so what are you trying to get at? When you have money you get into cars you enjoy driving. Do you think a 335 or a petty ass 435 is a luxury car? Lol. You have much to learn kid.

Someday when you wake up and move out of your parents house or the bullshit apartment you most likely live in because your spending your nut on that 435 monthly......you might get to the level that most of the "successful" folks on here are at.

Until you have a couple Mill in property and assets in multiple states, you own 4-6 cars at a time, and you have enough invested to retire at 43.....take a walk.

You should be asking me for life tips!
Lol. The problem is that the BMW forums are filled with fuckboys that majored in social science in college at best and are living at home with the parents.
Appreciate 1