F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Tesla fighting BMW i5 concept teased? BMW promises 12 fully electric models by 2025
ARMA SPEED
Closed Thread

09-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
H.I.T
Private First Class
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran Coupe

Tesla fighting BMW i5 concept teased? BMW promises 12 fully electric models by 2025

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Update:

BMW has likely previewed the i5 Concept in a short video it showed promoting electromobility. It looks identical to the design patent revealed last year. See those design patents @ http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1311029

Presentation screenshot:

Name:  BWW-i5-revealed.jpg
Views: 12439
Size:  102.0 KB

Design patents:

Original post:

Shown in a short video to promote electromobility, the model looks virtually identical to the car which was revealed in design patents last year.

Just saw it on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/BMWGroup/po...55692972283057

Quote:
Krueger: The future is #electric. Our #BMWGroup commitment: By 2025, 25 #ElectricVehicles in total – 12 #fullyelectric. Next level #emobility. #sustainablemobility #electricdriving
Name:  bmw-i5-concept.jpg
Views: 15991
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  bmw-i5-concept1.jpg
Views: 15837
Size:  156.9 KB

Added spy photos:

BMW Announces 12 Fully Electric Vehicles by 2025:

Quote:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...a-preview-2017

7 September 2017

Good morning, Ladies and Gentlemen!

For a century now, the BMW Group has demonstrated that it is willing to evolve – to set new ideas in motion. Technological leadership is part of our DNA. That’s why we are here today – to talk about what the BMW Group has planned for the future.

There are two main topics I would like to address:

1. The radical change in our business environment.

2. And, electro-mobility.

Regarding the first topic:

The automotive industry is in the midst of a fundamental change – that is clear. I’d like to begin by saying that the success of the BMW Group has always been based on long-term thinking. For decades, we have been working on the development of more efficient and alternative drive trains. In 2007 we launched Efficient Dynamics. On the way to an emission-free future, we will continue to optimize combustion engines.

In many of the current discussions, the customer’s needs are often ignored: Customer demand cannot be forced. Customer needs must be anticipated and met. Therefore, we do not advocate driving bans and quotas. We believe in convincing offers with modern, efficient and emotional vehicles. The challenge at

hand is that industry, government and NGOs work together on realistic solutions and timeframes. Only so, can we achieve the requirements for sustainable, emission-free mobility – and deliver attractive solutions for our customers.

The BMW Group is a company with both tradition and vision. Around a decade ago, we anticipated the "iconic change" and we put forward a clear strategy – far ahead of our competitors. We have clearly taken major steps in this transformation. Because: When the rules of the game change, we want to be the ones rewriting them.

We call the driving forces of future mobility the ACES: Automated, Connected, Electrified, and Services – specifically, mobility services. These are key elements of our corporate strategy, NUMBER ONE > NEXT, our roadmap for the future. The BMW Group is becoming more and more a "tech company" – and we are in an excellent position to move forward with the ACES. Many others are convinced too: Major players such as Intel, Mobileye, Delphi and Continental have joined forces with us to shape the future of automated driving. Our test fleet is now on the roads in Germany, Israel and the US – making daily trips.

That brings me to my second topic. As a pioneer in e-mobility, we began testing our MINI E fleet worldwide back in 2008. Valuable know-how was integrated into our first fully-electric production car, the BMW i3, the "original". It’s been the world’s top-selling electric car in its segment since its launch in 2013. We are successfully transferring BMW i’s technologies to our core models.

And today, we are very proud to offer customers the broadest range of electrified premium cars worldwide. This fall, we will have ten electrified vehicles available: nine electrified cars and our fully-electric C evolution.

This year, we will deliver 100,000 electrified vehicles to customers. By the end of 2017, there will be a total of more than 200,000 BMW Group electrified vehicles on the road.

What are our plans for the future?

Sustainable growth and profitability play a key role in shaping our future. We deliver on our promises: For seven consecutive years, our EBIT margin in the Automotive Segment has remained within our target range of 8-10 percent.

At the same time, we have been taking major steps in transforming our company. As part of NUMBER ONE > NEXT, we aim to substantially increase our sales and revenues in the luxury class. The BMW X7 and 8 Series both play an important part in this. Furthermore, the BMW Concept X7 demonstrates it is perfectly possible to combine a large sports activity vehicle with an electric drivetrain. Our strong commitment to e-mobility is underlined in NUMBER ONE > NEXT. We will be increasing the share of electrified models across all brands and model series. And, yes, that also includes the Rolls-Royce brand and BMW M vehicles.

Furthermore, we are currently gearing all BMW Group plants towards e-mobility. In the future, we will be able to equip all our models with every drive train. Two flexible vehicle architectures and a flexible production network will allow us to respond quickly and efficiently.

Let me make one thing very clear: In e-mobility, the BMW Group will also be the leading provider in the premium segment. By 2025, we will offer 25 electrified vehicles – 12 will be fully-electric. Today, and at the IAA, you will see the concept vehicle for the first series electric MINI, for release in 2019. As we have announced, we will be introducing the first BMW core model – the X3 – as a BEV in 2020. Going forward, all fully-electric BMWs will belong to BMW i. This also applies to the X3. We have also announced the BMW iNEXT – our next innovation spearhead – for 2021.

At this year’s IAA, we will unveil another significant milestone in our roadmap for e-mobility. It is a vision of how we imagine a four-door, fully-electric vehicle between the i3 and i8. It is a vision we want to realize in the foreseeable future. And a further step in our commitment to sustainable mobility.

Ladies and Gentlemen,

We believe in the mobility of the future – an individual mobility that is connected and emission-free. Modern society needs mobility. For many people, a car is a vital component of their everyday lives. We take our responsibility to society, our customers, our employees, and the environment seriously. That is why we are working hard and fast on the shift towards sustainable mobility.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:00 AM   #2
ciaranob
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Convertible

Decent bet being pitched alongside the i3 - curves look interesting - something unique with lines around door area.
      09-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #3
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Rather than an i5 or other i-brand vehicle, my guess would be the electric 3 Series concept that has been discussed in the recent past:

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1398581

As noted in the above thread, this has been rumored to debut in Frankfurt.
Appreciate 3
      09-07-2017, 08:32 AM   #4
JL76
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Rather than an i5 or other i-brand vehicle, my guess would be the electric 3 Series concept that has been discussed in the recent past.
Roofline too low to be a 3 series. Looks like a low slung coupe or gran coupe sedan of some kind.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:37 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL76 View Post
Roofline too low to be a 3 series. Looks like a low slung coupe or gran coupe sedan of some kind.
As a concept vehicle, its aesthetics needn't mimic what we know of today's 3 Series. This may not even be meant to foreshadow tomorrow's 3 Series for that matter. It could simply be what BMW's forward thinking designers suggest as one possibility for a future generation electric 3 Series product. A design exercise, if you will.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Ok, with the text of the press conference now added, I'm a bit confused. This statement:

"Going forward, all fully-electric BMWs will belong to BMW i. This also applies to the X3."

is bewildering. Is he simply saying that the X3 will be branded the "BMW X3 iPerformance Electric" (or something along those lines)? Or is he saying that will now be called the "BMW iX3" (or something along those lines) and be positioned as a true i-brand vehicle?

BMW seems to be undergoing some very rapid iterative changes in branding, strategic direction, and product development refocusing. Very confusing message, IMHO.
Appreciate 1
michal12200.00
      09-07-2017, 08:52 AM   #7
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Wait a minute now. Just months after Mercedes announces "CASE":

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/s...lity/case.html

BMW is rearranging the letters to form "ACES":

"We call the driving forces of future mobility the ACES: Automated, Connected, Electrified, and Services – specifically, mobility services."

Really?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 08:54 AM   #8
4BMWGarage
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Some crappy pics from a german forum. The pictures were taken during the construction of the IAA in Frankfurt.

Source:
https://www.motor-talk.de/news/welte...-t6135687.html
Attached Images

Last edited by 4BMWGarage; 09-07-2017 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: Missed to upload a picture
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
ndvv
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL76 View Post
Quote:
Rather than an i5 or other i-brand vehicle, my guess would be the electric 3 Series concept that has been discussed in the recent past.
I agree. Looks like a coupe to me. Couldn't be more excited about the development of another i car. Goodnight, Tesla.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:07 AM   #10
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
It looks to be a baby i8 with a more conservative profile and I'm okay with that! Perhaps something to complete with the Tesla 3?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:11 AM   #11
TheUltimateDrivingManiac
Freude am Fahren.
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 xDrive35i

Garage List
i8 Spyder? No?
      09-07-2017, 09:17 AM   #12
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Wait a minute now, is the included press conference transcript even real? Just months after Mercedes announces "CASE":

BMW is rearranging the letters to form "ACES"

Really?
Harald Kruger, 1st July 2016.

Our focus on future mobility addresses four areas – which we call “ACES”:

Autonomous driving,
Connectivity,
Electric and/or emissions-free
and Sharing – especially for urban mobility.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #13
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski View Post

Autonomous driving,
Connectivity,
These are all things I want in an appliance like iPhone not a "driver's" brand auto manufacturer.
Values of older ///M cars about to sky rocket.
Looking to get E92 M3 ASAP!
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #14
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #15
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Time and time again I read the statements

"There will be no i8M"...
"i and M are different ends of the spectrum" ... "they are completely different philosophies"...

Well it looks like BMW have missed a massive trick because the statement I just read stated electrification of M cars - the i8 was the perfect way to show off what could have been done by M with hybrid tech in a mid engined car.

This seems an even bigger own goal since the promised i8s centenary car never materialised!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #16
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

Quote:
Ok, with the text of the press conference now added, I'm a bit confused. This statement:

"Going forward, all fully-electric BMWs will belong to BMW i. This also applies to the X3."

is bewildering. Is he simply saying that the X3 will be branded the "BMW X3 iPerformance Electric" (or something along those lines)? Or is he saying that will now be called the "BMW iX3" (or something along those lines) and be positioned as a true i-brand vehicle?
Would be funny to see BMW iX3 X-Drive
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:10 AM   #17
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Autonomous driving,
Connectivity,
So BMW "called shotgun" first, then? I think the Mercedes press release I linked to and use of the term CASE dates back only to last year's Paris show which was in September (it alternates bi-anually with Frankfurt). As you you point out, BMW used ACES as early as July of last year.

At any rate, I still think BMW has gone absolutely scatter-brain with their electric strategy. They are all over the place.

And what happened to the electric 3 Series that was spoken about in the other thread I linked to, which was suggested to be coming to Frankfurt? Has that too now been scrubbed in favor of promoting the i brand? What about the announcement just recently of electric versions of other CLAR BMW Series vehicles? All gone? Just what the heck are they doing? Whose steering the ship, BMW?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #18
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Could it be something resembling this under the cover?

i5 patent images discovered last year: http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1311029

Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel
Appreciate 2
H.I.T409.50
1230vani648.50
      09-07-2017, 10:31 AM   #19
fiftee50
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
"At this year’s IAA, we will unveil another significant milestone in our roadmap for e-mobility. It is a vision of how we imagine a four-door, fully-electric vehicle between the i3 and i8. It is a vision we want to realize in the foreseeable future. And a further step in our commitment to sustainable mobility."
There you have it. Whether it's called i5 or not is secondary but clearly it is an i5 concept in execution.
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7508.50
      09-07-2017, 10:43 AM   #20
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
All gone? Just what the heck are they doing? Whose steering the ship, BMW?
Level 5 Autonomy....
      09-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #21
BMWRL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 528xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Could it be something resembling this under the cover?

i5 patent images discovered last year: http://bmwi.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1311029

God, lets hope not...
      09-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #22
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Quote:

Autonomous driving,
Connectivity,
So BMW "called shotgun" first, then? I think the Mercedes press release I linked to and use of the term CASE dates back only to last year's Paris show which was in September (it alternates bi-anually with Frankfurt). As you you point out, BMW used ACES as early as July of last year.

At any rate, I still think BMW has gone absolutely scatter-brain with their electric strategy. They are all over the place.

And what happened to the electric 3 Series that was spoken about in the other thread I linked to, which was suggested to be coming to Frankfurt? Has that too now been scrubbed in favor of promoting the i brand? What about the announcement just recently of electric versions of other CLAR BMW Series vehicles? All gone? Just what the heck are they doing? Whose steering the ship, BMW?
I couldn't agree more, their strategy is all over the place and they've missed golden opportunities
Appreciate 1
mkoesel7508.50
Closed Thread