F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > New emissions test causing grief
Extreme Powerhouse

07-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #1
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
New emissions test causing grief

Does anyone know what's going on? My son is waiting to pick up his new F-Type next Wednesday and he gets a phone call this Wednesday to say the car was ready but Jaguar weren't releasing it because of the new emissions tests (WLTP) and it could be weeks or months before he gets his car.

So, they expect him to wait for months while his new car sits in a field somewhere

Anyone else had a similar experience? The salesman told him he was the 10th customer he had had to phone that day.

I really don't get it at all. Get the car out the door, someone wants to buy it. Not really complicated. Question then is, what's scaring the car makers so much that they are prepared to piss off lots of customers?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 05:25 PM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

This new test is a disaster. When I was in Germany recently it was constantly in the news. All the German manufacturers are kakking themselves. Even ADAC the German test house is overrun by OEM's trying to get access to any test facilities they can. Apparently they have to test every variant of every car including options, so .... 18" M400, 19" M403, 19" M442, with and without sunroof, individually....you get the picture.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2018, 05:40 PM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
This new test is a disaster. When I was in Germany recently it was constantly in the news. All the German manufacturers are kakking themselves. Even ADAC the German test house is overrun by OEM's trying to get access to any test facilities they can. Apparently they have to test every variant of every car including options, so .... 18" M400, 19" M403, 19" M442, with and without sunroof, individually....you get the picture.
Fucking ridiculous!
Appreciate 2
Lux700551.00
t5pilot977.50
      07-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #4
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Blame VW, BMW and the other German manufacturers for their emissions cheating scandals. That's what caused the increased scrutiny.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #5
GEP77
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model 3 Long Range.

While the volume of testing is an issue the fact that it has to be done should not be a surprise. The final testing procedure for the WLTP has been available for quite some time now. The issue as I see it is a lack of proper forward planning by the manufacturers. This I believe has been a conscious decision as the new testing methodology and emissions standards will affect the cars available for sale. An example of this is the Golf R which has had to have a power reduction to get it through the new test, the M3 which is no longer available after September and I'm sure the list goes on.

What is puzzling about this F type is that the car is ready for delivery. And any car sold now can be sold under the old regulations.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 02:22 AM   #6
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D se auto sold, Macan S

There are a lot of manufacturers and cars you actually cannot place an order for at present, eg Porsche, Audi saying check availability on cars like SQ5 etc

The issue is that every single variant/option that means a weight difference has to be tested and there is just not the facilities to that on the timescale required. The final standards were agreed too close to the September deadline for that to be achieved.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:08 AM   #7
Mike_H
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M40i

I have been trying to order an RS3, but the order books closed 2 months ago and rumours are they will not re-open until March. Then they expect build backlogs meaning 9 months delivery. Ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:13 AM   #8
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP77 View Post
What is puzzling about this F type is that the car is ready for delivery. And any car sold now can be sold under the old regulations.
I wondered about that too. Perhaps that could mean that there is a cheat device / software involved and a matter which is currently under dispute preventing the sale. Quite a few VAG cars sat gathering dust at dealerships for months and were unable to be sold until the cheat devices had been removed.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:19 AM   #9
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Quote:
Yes and that's what Porsche have done pushed stock into the network so they have something to sell between now and the restart of factory orders.
      07-07-2018, 04:37 AM   #10
MackM4Comp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Pack

It’s gonna fall on its arse when manufacturers can’t sell any cars and millions loose their jobs, absolutely fucking crazy
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:38 AM   #11
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills2 View Post
Yes and that's what Porsche have done pushed stock into the network so they have something to sell between now and the restart of factory orders.
And none of the Porshe Macan stock coming on sale before September seems to have the 5 items I would consider essential for a purchase.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:50 AM   #12
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_H View Post
I have been trying to order an RS3, but the order books closed 2 months ago and rumours are they will not re-open until March. Then they expect build backlogs meaning 9 months delivery. Ridiculous.
I am not expecting the car market for powerful petrol cars to the same again. We have yet to see an impact from the overall test of average CCG figure across cars sold by a manufacturer. This must reduce the no of "powerful cars available and hence the discounts available on them.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:59 AM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
That is what I don't understand, if it can't be sold before the new tests come into force in September, something else must be at play here. New model changes, introduced since last September? Could be a possibility.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 05:49 AM   #14
pmgreenwood
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
That is what I don't understand, if it can't be sold before the new tests come into force in September, something else must be at play here. New model changes, introduced since last September? Could be a possibility.
There was a facelift with a 400bhp model only on sale for one year,

HTML Code:
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-slightly-new-2018-jaguar-f-type/
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 04:45 PM   #15
vadimo
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 320D X-Drive

Garage List
2020 M340i  [0.00]
yep its a shit storm if you were in the market for new car this summer

discussed here recently https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1509477
Current Ride: 2020 G20 M340i in Metallic Black Sapphire with Individual Full Merino Ivory White and Piano Black Trim Previous Ride1: 2014 F30 M Sport 320D X-Drive Auto, Dakota Beige Leather, M Sport Brakes, Adaptive M Suspension, Paddle Shifters, 19" 403 Alloys, Folding Mirrors, Pro Sat Nav & Harman Kardon Surround Sound. Previous Ride2: 2004 E46 M Sport 320CI Auto, Montana Beige Leather & 18" 135M Alloys.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2018, 05:39 PM   #16
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 340i on order

Very glad I didn't waste a second longer on getting the m3!

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:24 AM   #17
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan4 View Post
Very glad I didn't waste a second longer on getting the m3!
Loving my new 440i
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 11:50 AM   #18
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
The only update he has had, is that his car had actually been loaded onto the transporter when Jaguar called it back!?

Separately, I have read that Jag have scrapped the XE S and XF S with the reasons that there is very low demand for these cars (hence the introduction of the 296bhp 2 litre ingenium engine) and also, they would have performed very badly under the new regulations. His F-Type has the same 3 litre supercharged V6 but it was understood that the sales volume was so small, that it wouldn't affect the company's overall figures therefore they were keeping that engine in the F-Type.

He has been told that the dealer will hear from Jaguar next week concerning the disposition of his car. But still no explanations or answers to questions he has posed to the dealership. Poor treatment indeed. You expect that of an Audi, Merc or BMW dealer, not a Jaguar dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 12:40 PM   #19
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
The only update he has had, is that his car had actually been loaded onto the transporter when Jaguar called it back!?

Separately, I have read that Jag have scrapped the XE S and XF S with the reasons that there is very low demand for these cars (hence the introduction of the 296bhp 2 litre ingenium engine) and also, they would have performed very badly under the new regulations. His F-Type has the same 3 litre supercharged V6 but it was understood that the sales volume was so small, that it wouldn't affect the company's overall figures therefore they were keeping that engine in the F-Type.

He has been told that the dealer will hear from Jaguar next week concerning the disposition of his car. But still no explanations or answers to questions he has posed to the dealership. Poor treatment indeed. You expect that of an Audi, Merc or BMW dealer, not a Jaguar dealer.
Sounds like he’s bought something and then they’ve moved the goal posts on him.

It seems like we are being controlled and can’t even purchase what is actually being offered. What are they going to do about Ferrari’s and Lamborghini’s etc...? They (the ‘they’ people) will only be happy when we’re all driving around in Nissan Leafs (or is that Leaves?), or if we are not, paying gynormous penalties for the pleasure.

The road tax / vehicle excise licence structure has recently been a huge stuffing to car drivers - even electric cars!!! And we just have to take it up the arse like powerless mugs if we want to carry on enjoying a drive now and again. I think that’s it’s now one of the most disproportionate taxes to affect people. Give them time, and I’m sure they’ll astound us with some other extortionate penalty for daring to walk around on the surface of the earth. Then they wonder why governments are losing popularity - they’re all as bad as each other.

Don’t start me on brexit! I’m surprised that someone hasn’t had the idea of having another referendum on whether we should have another referendum!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 01:40 PM   #20
allachie9
Grumpy Old Man
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G30 520i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

My new X3 was built in mid January and arrived Southampton on 11th February.

It then sat at Southampton for 4 months and 2 days (yes, I was counting the days), pending delivery and fitting of a modified exhaust to ensure the car conformed to the new regulations prior to being released to the dealer and then me.
I argued that they could have, and should have, released the car to me and, if necessary, recalled it when the parts became available. BMW however, were adamant that they would not release any of the affected cars until modified.
      07-08-2018, 02:45 PM   #21
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
Poor treatment indeed. You expect that of an Audi, Merc or BMW dealer, not a Jaguar dealer.
I think I would have expected worse treatment from a Jaguar dealer than BMW at least. Not sure about the other marques. I have always viewed Jaguars as lower-end, slightly inferior alternatives to BMWs, with customer service to match. The XF has always fallen short of the 5 Series.

That said, I do like the look of the F-Type and for looks alone would take one over a Z4 if I was in the market for a 2 seater.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:34 PM   #22
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
This sort of mucking around makes me glad I’m hanging onto my car

Reckon the used market will get a bit stronger on the back iof this and the other decentiives the governments are introducing.