F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > We Sample the BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe (Review)
ARMA SPEED

05-22-2014, 07:58 PM   #23
Jaguar
Mark 42
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajami View Post
Even bimmerpost is confused by this car.

Whyyyyy didn't BMW make this into a true 4-series Gran Coupe, without the hatch? If they really wanted to make this car, just call it the 4-series Gran Turismo and be done with it. Now we're never going to get a true baby 6GC.
Why the hatch rather than trunk? SIMPLE. The hatch makes this car extremely versatile. You can do things in this that you can not in the 3 series and 4 series coupe. If there was not a hatch, it would be way too similar to the coupe and not offer enough reason/benefit for someone to choose this over an F30/32.

This car is also sportier and has the same torsional rigidity as the 4 Series coupe-it also gets the same steering programming and suspension set up as the coupe. It has additional struts and suspension components making is stiffer and more sporty than the 3 Sedan.

To sum it up: This car is for the person that loves the look of a coupe, and the sporting characteristics of a coupe, but needs the versatility that a sedan offers, with the added benefit of a hatch opening without a rear shelf getting in the way of loading large objects
Appreciate 2
      05-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #24
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Why?

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:10 PM   #25
EMpunker
M3 Veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daily Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew View Post
Why?

Because the F31 is only available in 328xi and 328xd trim in the USA. And this looks 1,000 times better than the F34.

That's why.
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2014, 08:16 PM   #26
BimmerQuest
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35ix M-Sport MPPK

If the 435i GC xDrive model was available now, I would have ordered one instead of the 335i xDrive. Why?
  • I prefer the GC appearance
  • The GC is more versatile, fitting my lifestyle (coupe looks, 4 doors, hatch)
Appreciate 1
      05-22-2014, 08:37 PM   #27
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld
Love the hatch, much more practical than the sedan but without turning into a 3GT. If I didn't need to carry bulky stuff though it would be hard to justify over the F30.

Mine docks in less than a week and hopefully less than 2 weeks after that I'll be behind the wheel

Lots of people complaining about the lack of a manual. If there was a business case for a manual, they would have made the 6MT available. There wasn't, so there isn't. (complaining on a forum does not make a business case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powaup View Post
Porsche macan FTW
I had a Macan S on preorder and cancelled it for the 4GC. Macan is faster and will go offroad, but I neither need to go fast or onroad. So I picked the car that doesn't look like a baked potato.
435xdrive will be faster 0-60 than macan s.

In fact I think the 435gc is rated 4.9 while macan s is 5.2.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 08:39 PM   #28
///Matthew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3, 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMpunker
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Matthew View Post
Why?

Because the F31 is only available in 328xi and 328xd trim in the USA. And this looks 1,000 times better than the F34.

That's why.
Thanks guy!

2013 Santorini Blue M3
1999 Estoril Blue M3
mfatuation.com
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #29
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Why the hatch rather than trunk? SIMPLE. The hatch makes this car extremely versatile. You can do things in this that you can not in the 3 series and 4 series coupe. If there was not a hatch, it would be way too similar to the coupe and not offer enough reason/benefit for someone to choose this over an F30/32.
I don't believe this argument holds water for a couple of reasons. First, the 3-series Gran Turismo already exists for those that want versatility from the F3x platform. Second, to your point about too much similarity with the 4-series coupe: this is precisely the relationship that exists between the 6-series coupe and the 6-series Gran Coupe, and nobody bats an eye about it.

Quote:
This car is also sportier and has the same torsional rigidity as the 4 Series coupe-it also gets the same steering programming and suspension set up as the coupe. It has additional struts and suspension components making is stiffer and more sporty than the 3 Sedan.
And heavier (top-heavier, no less) as well.

Quote:
To sum it up: This car is for the person that loves the look of a coupe, and the sporting characteristics of a coupe, but needs the versatility that a sedan offers, with the added benefit of a hatch opening without a rear shelf getting in the way of loading large objects
That's an awfully narrow niche. I represent the market segment that loves the look of the coupe (check), and the sporting characteristics of the coupe (check), but needs the versatility that a sedan offers (check), with no requirement whatsoever of the added weight and bloated lines that the hatch brings.

BMW had a great relationship between the 6 coupe and the 6GC. Additionally, the Gran Turismo models exist for those that needed the extra cargo room that a hatch provides but didn't want to drive an SUV. The 3GT wasn't sporty enough? Fine, name this car the 4-series Gran Turismo that it is, and leave the 4-series Gran Coupe unmolested by that hatch. Why they felt the need to combine both segments into one is beyond me.

It's because contrary to what their marketing department would have you believe, BMW as a business is extremely reactionary and risk averse. And rather than lead into a segment, they simply wanted a piece of the A5 Sportback pie, even if it came at the expense of their own product segmentation and naming strategies.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:13 PM   #30
chylld
Major
Rep
Drives: G08 iX3

Garage List
Quote:
I don't believe this argument holds water for a couple of reasons. First, the 3-series Gran Turismo already exists for those that want versatility from the F3x platform. Second, to your point about too much similarity with the 4-series coupe
The 3GT looks like a dog, but is practical
The 4 coupe looks awesome, but isn't practical

Let me get this straight, you don't like the 4GC because it looks awesome, and is practical? We're not allowed to have both?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:21 PM   #31
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chylld View Post
The 3GT looks like a dog, but is practical
The 4 coupe looks awesome, but isn't practical

Let me get this straight, you don't like the 4GC because it looks awesome, and is practical? We're not allowed to have both?
One man's practicality is another man's useless bloat. That's what happens when you compromise.

My point is simply that this should have been called the 4GT, because what defines BMW's GT models is they take an existing platform and apply a hatch to it. That's what this car is.

By naming it a Gran Coupe, BMW closed the door on a true hatchless 4-series sedan. A baby 6-series Gran Coupe (in addition to this car) would have adhered to BMW's naming convention nicely, made all potential market segments happy, and by the way, looked significantly sleeker.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem

Last edited by aajami; 05-22-2014 at 09:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:26 PM   #32
Ramsey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340 xi

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
2011 335 M Sport  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///McRae
Just doesn't make sense. Why buy this rather than a 4 door 3 series? BMW just has far, far too many models.
Agree, the line up of the F has become confusing. You need a chart to navigate it.
      05-22-2014, 09:28 PM   #33
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My point is simply that this should have been called the 4GT, because what defines BMW's GT models is they take an existing platform and apply a hatch to it. That's what this car is.
It's not that clear-cut.

BMW took a 4-door 3-series and added a hatch to it, to make the 3GT.
BMW took a 2-door 6-series and added rear doors to it, making the 6GC.

The 4GC may be a GT in the sense that they added a hatch, but it's a GC in the sense that they started with a 2-door platform. Certainly it's a much better looker than either of the existing GTs
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:35 PM   #34
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not that clear-cut.

BMW took a 4-door 3-series and added a hatch to it, to make the 3GT.
BMW took a 2-door 6-series and added rear doors to it, making the 6GC.
And now they have 3 non-SUV, non-station wagon cars with a hatch: two of which are called a GT and one of which is called a GC.

And they have two Gran Coupes, one of which has a hatch and one of which doesn't.

Needlessly confusing a naming convention that a lot of people were already confused by.

Quote:
The 4GC may be a GT in the sense that they added a hatch, but it's a GC in the sense that they started with a 2-door platform. Certainly it's a much better looker than either of the existing GTs
Indeed, it looks far nicer than either GT. And a hatchless 4-series GC would have looked nicer still, and would have performed better too.

Last edited by aajami; 05-22-2014 at 09:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:47 PM   #35
BimmerQuest
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

That's an awfully narrow niche. I represent the market segment that loves the look of the coupe (check), and the sporting characteristics of the coupe (check), but needs the versatility that a sedan offers (check), with no requirement whatsoever of the added weight and bloated lines that the hatch brings.
Despite "representing the market segment", are you truly in the market or keeping your M3? I match all the requirements you mention above, but would much rather have the hatch - regardless of the "bloat" you mention. The GC is a perfect match for me, the timing just isn't right due to the 435 GC xDrive not being available until late summer.

Small niche? Maybe, but check your confirmation bias - that niche might be much larger than you think .
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #36
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
And now they 3 non-SUV, non-station wagon cars with a hatch: two of which are called a GT and one of which is called a GC.

And they have two Gran Coupes, one of which has a hatch and one of which doesn't.

Needlessly confusing a naming convention that a lot of people were already confused by.
I'm glad that the main criticism of the car is that the naming scheme is confusing. While there are so many models to choose from, there definitely isn't too many. I wanted a good-looking, sporty 4-door car that can swallow things that wouldn't fit through a sedan boot opening. Is there anything in BMWs range besides the 4GC that satisfies my requirements?

Also, would a confusing naming convention actually stop people from buying the car that suits them? Have people actually ended up buying the wrong car because they spoke the wrong name to the sales person?

Quote:
Indeed, it looks far nicer than either GT. And a hatchless 4-series GC would have looked nicer still, and would have performed better too.
I've read about the F30's less-than-stellar handling compared to the F32. As long as it is closer to the F32 than the F30, I'm happy to forego the extra rigidity of a fixed parcel shelf. Lower centre of gravity and wider track should hopefully take care of this
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #37
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
It does not matter if it has a hatch or a proper GC, neither if it is a 4-GT or something different, the bottomline is it looks really great. I imagine when I see it in person, I would really want one. Also, do not think too much into BMW new numbering scheme ... as a fan, all I care about is more new models and more and more
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #38
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Question is, why wouldn't you get this over the 3 sedan? Aside from the lack of MT...
      05-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #39
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual
Hmmm, can't say if I like it or not.
I'm not feeling it unfortunately. The only 4 door coupe I like is Mercedes' CLS.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:04 PM   #40
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerQuest View Post
Despite "representing the market segment", are you truly in the market or keeping your M3? I match all the requirements you mention above, but would much rather have the hatch - regardless of the "bloat" you mention. The GC is a perfect match for me, the timing just isn't right due to the 435 GC xDrive not being available until late summer.

Small niche? Maybe, but check your confirmation bias - that niche might be much larger than you think .
Large enough for BMW to green light this car, no doubt. As for me, I will be in the market in 12-24 months and would have readily bought an M4 Gran Coupe had it been a true, hatchless GC car in the same vein as the current M6 Gran Coupe. Part of the reason you sense frustration in my tone is that I'm now relegated to the F80 if I want to stay in the BMW family.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #41
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm glad that the main criticism of the car is that the naming scheme is confusing. While there are so many models to choose from, there definitely isn't too many. I wanted a good-looking, sporty 4-door car that can swallow things that wouldn't fit through a sedan boot opening. Is there anything in BMWs range besides the 4GC that satisfies my requirements?
You'll never hear me complain about too many models. Market segmentation is great, and the more granular, the better. It's just, in naming this car the 4GC, BMW effectively cut off a market segment when it could have just as easily had two.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:16 PM   #42
lsmkr01
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I want to like it so bad but that rear looks more GT than Gran Coupe
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #43
chylld
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by f31mtl View Post
Question is, why wouldn't you get this over the 3 sedan? Aside from the lack of MT...
1) You can't afford the 4GC
2) You want a tiny bit more headroom
3) You think the 4GC looks ugly / don't like the fender grill / etc.

Quote:
You'll never hear me complain about too many models. Market segmentation is great, and the more granular, the better. It's just, in naming this car the 4GC, BMW effectively cut off a market segment when it could have just as easily had two.
On that point I agree. If this was a 4GT then there would be room for a 4-door 4-series (this is really a 5-door).

Although this does satisfy their current trend of odd numbers being GT (3GT, 5GT) and even numbers being GC (4GC, 6GC). I read somewhere else that the odd-numbered vehicles were purpose-driven, and the even-numbered vehicles were style-driven?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 10:34 PM   #44
BimmerQuest
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Large enough for BMW to green light this car, no doubt. As for me, I will be in the market in 12-24 months and would have readily bought an M4 Gran Coupe had it been a true, hatchless GC car in the same vein as the current M6 Gran Coupe. Part of the reason you sense frustration in my tone is that I'm now relegated to the F80 if I want to stay in the BMW family.
Big assumption on the M4 GC front...rumors or not. I hope you get the irony in your "relegation". 'Tis such a horrible choice you are presented with.

All kidding aside, I feel the same way about Acura - they've lost me in pursuit of other niches.
Appreciate 0