F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor and Seller Review/Feedback Forum > BAD experience with Passport BMW
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-28-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
10
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i GC M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

BAD experience with Passport BMW

I’m not sure if this is the right section to post this but I wanted to share my experience with Passport BMW in Maryland.

I wanted to buy 2015 435i GC for ED and contacted several dealers for quotes.
Passport BMW gave me the lowest quote but it was above my budget so I sent another build link that takes out Driver’s Assistant Plus Package, but I made sure Top and Side camera is opted in. (FYI, DAP package contains Top and Side camera but you can select Top and Side camera option individually)

Ian, the CA from Passport BMW, gave me a new quote, which I really liked, and I put down my non-refundable $1000 deposit, signed the Purchase Order, and received build information.

And I noticed that Ian made a mistake by selecting wrong Trim color. I emailed Ian to change the trim color and I get no response. After few hours, I received an email from Ian’s manager, Han, with VIR attached. I looked closely to see if everything matches what I originally sent. Everything looked good except the price went up by about $800. I asked why my price went up and he said the original quote Ian gave me did not have Top and Side camera.

I told Han that this is not my fault and clearly Ian’s fault by not adding Top and Side camera back after removing DAP package. He did not admit that it was his employee’s fault. Ian, on the other hand, told Han to take out $800 because he admitted it was his fault but Han wouldn’t.

Han told me to contact BMWNA if I wanted to.
This is the end of story.

Normally BMW recommend to order 3 months before ED and that incident happened 2 months before my Euro Trip which I already booked my flights.
I was lucky enough to find another dealer who would match the price Passport gave me but I’m still frustrated what might have happened if I couldn’t find any other dealer.

I already reported to BMWNA about the incident and this should not happen to any other customers AFTER they signed the purchase order and put down deposit.
I requested BMW to compensate me by giving me few accessories such as Kidney Grills, M Pedals, M license plates.

What would you have requested for the compensations?
Would you have requested more?


P.S. - Please don’t ever go to Passport BMW!!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Philipangoo's Avatar
33
Rep
466
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

Sounds like a PITA to deal with especially considering the logistics of ED. Glad to hear that it worked out and it would just be best to leave it behind because in the end you get the car that you wanted, at the price that you expected AND you get to drive in on the Autobahn!
__________________
13 335i Msport
89 E30 325is 5spd
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 10:50 AM   #3
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
10
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i GC M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipangoo
Sounds like a PITA to deal with especially considering the logistics of ED. Glad to hear that it worked out and it would just be best to leave it behind because in the end you get the car that you wanted, at the price that you expected AND you get to drive in on the Autobahn!
Yeah but this is my first BMW and was really unsatisfied with the experience.
Glad it worked out.

What would have requested to BMWNA?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
Chipper
New Member
2
Rep
21
Posts

Drives: '11 135i Lemans Blue/Coral Red
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northern Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I would not recommend using Passport BMW.

I had issues with their finance and accounting department calling me a few weeks after I signed for the car talking about how they were missing $1000 of my down payment.

That and the paint sealant they were offering (Xzilon) ruined the paint on my new car, leaving micro-swirls on every inch of the paint.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
ft1330
Major
225
Rep
1,271
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

I would not have asked for any compensation.... It's just not in my nature. Looks like you had it taken care of by another dealer at the price you expected to pay.... What more to ask... Maybe I should feel more entitled in life, but as long as I get the car I want for the price I want, I'm a happy camper and I don't need freebies in life.

Also, I believe that dealing with an Internet dealer has a much greater chance of problems, for savings of what, $200 over a $50k car? I got quotes from passport and many others you hear about on the forums, and they did not have a crazy price difference over my dealer down the street. And now I don't pay for loaners because I bought local...
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
762
Rep
1,501
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2brian703 View Post
Yeah but this is my first BMW and was really unsatisfied with the experience.
Glad it worked out.

What would have requested to BMWNA?
An dealer screwed up and you took your business elsewhere. I don't see why you feel like BMWNA should give you anything, to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
ardyer
Private
2
Rep
83
Posts

Drives: 2014 320xi
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to hear that, I bought mine from them and been quite happy with my dealings with them . I'm pretty sure I know the salesman you had as well and I think he's new, which could explain the mistake on his part. The manager is not one I'm familiar with though, and those don't sound like very responsible actions on his part.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
10
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i GC M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
An dealer screwed up and you took your business elsewhere. I don't see why you feel like BMWNA should give you anything, to be honest.
Was it my fault to take my business elsewhere?

IMHO, whenever BMW dealer screw things up they should make up for it, otherwise BMWNA should.
It's like your kid does something wrong and never apologize, then you should go and apologize for your kid.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
10
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i GC M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyer View Post
Sorry to hear that, I bought mine from them and been quite happy with my dealings with them . I'm pretty sure I know the salesman you had as well and I think he's new, which could explain the mistake on his part. The manager is not one I'm familiar with though, and those don't sound like very responsible actions on his part.
Someone in this forum bought the car from that dealer and recommended Ian. And that's one of the reason why I was so mad.
If it wasn't for him, I would have not wasted my time and worried about not getting ED delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #10
alienranch
First Lieutenant
16
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

We've all read plenty of horror stories on here. This is not one of those. Move on.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:29 PM   #11
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Philipangoo's Avatar
33
Rep
466
Posts

Drives: F30 335
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TX

iTrader: (0)

It's unfortunate but the fact is each dealer is independently owned and operated. They have their management styles and they staff their departments. They were the ones that dropped the ball, so they paid for it by losing your business.
__________________
13 335i Msport
89 E30 325is 5spd
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
J2brian703
Enlisted Member
United_States
10
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2015 435i GC M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienranch View Post
We've all read plenty of horror stories on here. This is not one of those. Move on.
Did you have a story like this before?
Apparently you don't know how I feel and other people feels about their situations.
Please don't mind me and move on to another thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #13
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
762
Rep
1,501
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2brian703 View Post
Was it my fault to take my business elsewhere?

IMHO, whenever BMW dealer screw things up they should make up for it, otherwise BMWNA should.
It's like your kid does something wrong and never apologize, then you should go and apologize for your kid.
You did the right thing cancelling your order and taking your business elsewhere. That resolved the issue quickly, completely, and with no harm to you.

Something that would rise to the level of deserving compensation, imho, would be an issue with the car. Maybe your new car ends up being in the shop for a few weeks for something, then sure ask BMW to cover a lease payment. Or the dealer damages your car while it's in for service, then ask them for something.

You will almost certainly encounter more unsatisfactory customer service with your BMW. You'll go in for service and the loaner you were promised won't be available. You'll go to pick up your car and have to wait an extra 30 minutes because it wasn't quite ready. You'll get it back from service and it turns out the problem wasn't fixed. You'll have to wait 2 weeks for a part. Or you'll get your car back with grease marks on the floor mats.

If you plan on asking for material compensation from BMWNA every time that kind of stuff happens, then I have a feeling you may end up with a disappointing ownership experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #14
alienranch
First Lieutenant
16
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 335i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
You did the right thing cancelling your order and taking your business elsewhere. That resolved the issue quickly, completely, and with no harm to you.

Something that would rise to the level of deserving compensation, imho, would be an issue with the car. Maybe your new car ends up being in the shop for a few weeks for something, then sure ask BMW to cover a lease payment. Or the dealer damages your car while it's in for service, then ask them for something.

You will almost certainly encounter more unsatisfactory customer service with your BMW. You'll go in for service and the loaner you were promised won't be available. You'll go to pick up your car and have to wait an extra 30 minutes because it wasn't quite ready. You'll get it back from service and it turns out the problem wasn't fixed. You'll have to wait 2 weeks for a part. Or you'll get your car back with grease marks on the floor mats.

If you plan on asking for material compensation from BMWNA every time that kind of stuff happens, then I have a feeling you may end up with a disappointing ownership experience.
^^ this sums it up ^^
Plus, why the hell would BMWNA be liable to you for anything? The dealer screwed up and you went elsewhere. Maybe I should hold you liable for wasting my time with this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
justinnum1
Major General
634
Rep
5,803
Posts

Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

threaten to give the dealer all zeros.
__________________
F30 330i Alpine white/Coral red Msport 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
snowghost
Colonel
snowghost's Avatar
United_States
129
Rep
2,263
Posts

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
threaten to give the dealer all zeros.
Don't threaten, do it.
__________________
F30 Sapphire Black M-Sport 335i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #17
TERAKO35
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
35
Posts

Drives: 13 328i Xdrive M-sport
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Herriman

iTrader: (1)

Mistakes happen. It was caught and they lost your business. Hopefully, a lesson learned by the dealership and it's staff. I do believe You should have left it at that instead of plastering their name on this forum for such a small issue.

I could understand if you had actually lost money or you were delivered a vehicle that was not equipped as promised, but you lost nothing and asking for freebies is ballsy.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #18
bmw-again
First Lieutenant
bmw-again's Avatar
United_States
72
Rep
358
Posts

Drives: 17 440xi GC-15 X1 xline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Illinois

iTrader: (1)

If your budget is that tight on $800 maybe you should purchase something you can afford and not be stretched on a payment. Everyone makes mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #19
bahasad
Major
bahasad's Avatar
United_States
314
Rep
1,498
Posts

Drives: F30, E90
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhereinamerica

iTrader: (4)

I had a bad experience with passport as well before I bought mine from BMW of Mount Laurel in NJ (great dealer). They didn't actually let me test drive any of their cars, and didn't cut me a single dollar off the asking price. I drove 2 hours but I left. I am thankful they didn't receive my business.
__________________
Current: 17 Mustang GT no bmw
Gone but not forgotten: 07 E90 335I, 04 UA6, 95 E36, 04 EP3, 16 S550 EB, 14 F30 328I Stg 1, 08 E90 328I
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 05:18 PM   #20
Mike_L
Banned
United_States
268
Rep
1,969
Posts

Drives: 2015 335xi GT M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: New York City

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahasad View Post
I had a bad experience with passport as well before I bought mine from BMW of Mount Laurel in NJ (great dealer). They didn't actually let me test drive any of their cars, and didn't cut me a single dollar off the asking price. I drove 2 hours but I left. I am thankful they didn't receive my business.
Same here. That was why I bought my 750 at a freaking Mitsubishi dealer and end up getting screwed over. Passport just wouldn't work with me, even after I drove for five hours to get there.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #21
carzaddict
Lieutenant Colonel
139
Rep
1,553
Posts

Drives: M-Sport 328i X-drive
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brooklyn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-again View Post
If your budget is that tight on $800 maybe you should purchase something you can afford and not be stretched on a payment. Everyone makes mistakes.
you dont know the OP from a hole in the wall...so dont make asinine comments like that.

Theres a level of expectation and business conduct...theres no reason for you to pay a price for someone elses mistake. If they really wanted his business they would have waived the $800, or found some happy middle ground. At least the sales man was nice enough to step up and say he made a mistake.

This could have actually led to a bigger problem where the OP would have arrived to germany to pick up his car and it doesnt have the packages.
__________________
2011 Jaguar XFR
2013 VW Beetle
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #22
chazmink
First Lieutenant
chazmink's Avatar
United_States
79
Rep
389
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Medford & LBI, NJ

iTrader: (0)

I bought my extended warranty from Passport at a great price. Beat BMW of Mount Laurel, my local dealer, by nearly 1k.
__________________
Best,
Charlie

2013 328i MSport Estoril Blue, 6spd MT, Premium, Tech & Drivers Assist +, Bavsound Stage One/Ghost, Bimmertech Amp
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST