F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Time to put your Summer's on!
GetBMWParts

12-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Unhappy Time to put your Summer's on!

So, it's going to reach 14 degrees tomorrow, and looking ahead the weather looks very mild! Starting to wonder if I should have bothered with winter tyres!

Although, buying winter tyres has prevented me getting stuck in snow, because it hasn't snowed since I first bought winter tyres last year!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
FSE23
Major
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG 2019

I wonder why you bothered so much about it. Don't be paranoid. unless you want to play with your tyres like rally driver changing them on and on and on every other day, maybe.
As I said somewhere here, couples of days ago my colleague in Jag didn't even start with wheel spinning on icy road, while I perfectly took my xDrive and winters on the road through the ice in the right direction and traction, paying attention to long distance breaking. Fine, I loved it. Even if it is 20C the day after tomorrow I'm not going to change my tyres before end of March/April.

2007 E92 335i BS ultimate drive
Appreciate 2
      12-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #3
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Still on the tyres it rolled out of the factory on.

Plenty of grip.

Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
jusdorange
YOLO
Monaco
Rep
Drives: #mw

Honestly in South of England, hardly seems worth it
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

It's not paranoia, I just can't believe that winter after winter I had huge problems with snow, being stuck at home for days, smashing up the front end of my 330ci, countless embarrassing moments holding up lines of traffic as I struggle to crawl up the slightest incline, neighbours having to push my car up the road to my parents house etc. And last winter I was finally financially able to buy winter wheels, and in a winter and a half I haven't even had the opportunity to try them in snow, ice or even a light frost!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
It's not paranoia, I just can't believe that winter after winter I had huge problems with snow, being stuck at home for days, smashing up the front end of my 330ci, countless embarrassing moments holding up lines of traffic as I struggle to crawl up the slightest incline, neighbours having to push my car up the road to my parents house etc. And last winter I was finally financially able to buy winter wheels, and in a winter and a half I haven't even had the opportunity to try them in snow, ice or even a light frost!

I think that is the same for many drivers, been caught out in those cold winters.

Looking at the weather around the UK at the moment, looks as if we are really in the middle of some strange patterns at present, get a slight wind shift and we could be in some pretty cold weather quite quickly, but the westerly quarter keeps pushing warmer flows back in again.

I had ice on my car yesterday until lunch time, plus remains of snow after showers on Monday, which followed 10C on Sunday. Saturday was white around here, a couple of inches of snow, remains of Thursday/Friday. Today is around 7C, back to colder weather by Friday, it is all over the place this winter.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 02:38 PM   #7
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I think that is the same for many drivers, been caught out in those cold winters.

Looking at the weather around the UK at the moment, looks as if we are really in the middle of some strange patterns at present, get a slight wind shift and we could be in some pretty cold weather quite quickly, but the westerly quarter keeps pushing warmer flows back in again.

I had ice on my car yesterday until lunch time, plus remains of snow after showers on Monday, which followed 10C on Sunday. Saturday was white around here, a couple of inches of snow, remains of Thursday/Friday. Today is around 7C, back to colder weather by Friday, it is all over the place this winter.

HighlandPete
The weather is very strange currently, I can't believe it's going to be 14° a few days before Xmas! A few summers ago it was barely that most days!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I keep thinking about buying winters but it just doesn't seem worth it at the moment
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 03:30 PM   #9
MRPoisson
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F36 435D M Sport+

Quote:
So, it's going to reach 14 degrees tomorrow, and looking ahead the weather looks very mild! Starting to wonder if I should have bothered with winter tyres!

Although, buying winter tyres has prevented me getting stuck in snow, because it hasn't snowed since I first bought winter tyres last year!
+1

Gone F30 320D 8AT M Sport Mineral grey
Gone E92 320D M Sport Sparkling Graphite
Gone E46 320D M Sport Silver Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #10
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
When we had the snow couple of years back I put a load of weights in the boot and never got stuck once despite a 50 mile commute on mixed roads. Last year as everyone was saying the end is nigh with snow drifts the size of Kilimanjaro I bought some new rims and snow tyres. Has it snowed since ... NO

But they are good on the ice ......if you fit them !!!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #11
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal27 View Post
When we had the snow couple of years back I put a load of weights in the boot and never got stuck once despite a 50 mile commute on mixed roads. Last year as everyone was saying the end is nigh with snow drifts the size of Kilimanjaro I bought some new rims and snow tyres. Has it snowed since ... NO

But they are good on the ice ......if you fit them !!!
I remember someone I worked with put a huge electrical device in the boot of his Supra and he said it worked well! Not great for fuel consumption though!
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 07:10 PM   #12
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
I remember someone I worked with put a huge electrical device in the boot of his Supra and he said it worked well! Not great for fuel consumption though!

You mean like a flux capacitor
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:36 PM   #13
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

The weather models are showing a big snow event in the UK after 26 Dec.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 12:11 AM   #14
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

HighlandPete
Dare I say it....but the UN climate change warnings do predict the weather patterns we are getting in northen Europe.

8 of the warmest years in the last 350 years has been in the last 20 years....Those kind of stats are hard to ignore, and it's hard to blame those numbers on nature, given the rapid change.

But theres nothing anyone can do about it, I'm just glad I've learnt to swim in the last year, and we live 60 meters above sea level.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:31 AM   #15
Nick the Greek
Banned
France
Rep
Drives: M135i. I don't do diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Dare I say it....but the UN climate change warnings do predict the weather patterns we are getting in northen Europe.

8 of the warmest years in the last 350 years has been in the last 20 years....Those kind of stats are hard to ignore, and it's hard to blame those numbers on nature, given the rapid change.

But theres nothing anyone can do about it, I'm just glad I've learnt to swim in the last year, and we live 60 meters above sea level.
For the more senior members of this forum, with long memories, 30 years ago the very same people were warning of the next ice age!!!

Fact is, the planet's weather has been in a constant changes of flux for the last three billion years.

The powers that be with push what ever theory suits their agenda, usually a way to tax us...??.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #16
Frosticles
Skint as always
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick the Greek View Post
For the more senior members of this forum, with long memories, 30 years ago the very same people were warning of the next ice age!!!

Fact is, the planet's weather has been in a constant changes of flux for the last three billion years.

The powers that be with push what ever theory suits their agenda, usually a way to tax us...??.
This.
      12-18-2014, 03:09 AM   #17
moonshine
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 718 Boxster S

as a geologist, i take a slightly different view to most on climate change - as my view on the Planet is in the realms of 10-100s on millions of years.

global climate has waxed and waned over this timeframe - with periods of glaciation and arid times depending on continental position, global sea levels have risen and fallen etc, and i have a skeptical view that human influence will have a lasting effect on the global climate. geological inputs such as volcanic eruptions are enormous contributors of greenhouse gasses which we have no control over

what is significant tho is the short term - i.e. 10-100s of years that we have as a society for the human race is the effect that the effects of change from the current position will bring - short term glaciations and droughts will bring mass migrations and social unrest / conflicts which will have a significant effect - imagine 100 million people migrating from arid Africa Northwards, or a frozen North southwards -

that is the issue - Humans are not the pinnacle of evolution - just the top at the moment, and unless we achieve interplanetary travel and colonisation, as a species, we will become extinct at some point -

thats my view on it!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:14 AM   #18
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
as a geologist, i take a slightly different view to most on climate change - as my view on the Planet is in the realms of 10-100s on millions of years.

global climate has waxed and waned over this timeframe - with periods of glaciation and arid times depending on continental position, global sea levels have risen and fallen etc, and i have a skeptical view that human influence will have a lasting effect on the global climate. geological inputs such as volcanic eruptions are enormous contributors of greenhouse gasses which we have no control over

what is significant tho is the short term - i.e. 10-100s of years that we have as a society for the human race is the effect that the effects of change from the current position will bring - short term glaciations and droughts will bring mass migrations and social unrest / conflicts which will have a significant effect - imagine 100 million people migrating from arid Africa Northwards, or a frozen North southwards -

that is the issue - Humans are not the pinnacle of evolution - just the top at the moment, and unless we achieve interplanetary travel and colonisation, as a species, we will become extinct at some point -

thats my view on it!
Are you Christopher Nolan in disguise?!
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:15 AM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal27 View Post
You mean like a flux capacitor
Lol, maybe it was! He found it in the loft of the electrical company we worked for, don't what it was but it needed 2 men to carry it!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:18 AM   #20
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post

thats my view on it!
This is deep, very deep!

But I totally agree that we should worry about destroying the planet, earth has recovered from far worse in the past than humans could ever do to it! It will recover eventually. What we need to worry about is destroying the human race!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:19 AM   #21
shane_hants
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 318D Sport

It's probably snowed 3 or 4 days in the last 4 years where I live down South. No need for winters. Standard tyres have served well apart from 3/4 days. Those days I just work from home.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 03:31 AM   #22
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Winters aren't just about driving in snow..........
Appreciate 0