F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Notes on a 2015 435i with Harman Kardon system and JL Audio trunk sub/amp add-on
ARMA SPEED
Closed Thread

03-27-2015, 12:09 PM   #1
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Notes on a 2015 435i with Harman Kardon system and JL Audio trunk sub/amp add-on

Customer complaints about the apparent lack of deep bass in his 435i HK system. No matter how the 7-band EQ and Bass adjustments are set, the elusive deep bass that he is looking for is just not there.

Well, without a trunk sub it will never be.

So the idea is to add the trunk sub and provide an adjustable power upgrade to the 7ohm OEM mid-bass woofers to keep up with the new sub bass. And first of all, this upgrade must be price-effective.

Thus a JL Audio 10W0v3 BassWedge Ported built-in box/sub was selected by the customer. And then an XD500/5v2 as the 3-channel amplifier -stereo for the OEM woofers and mono for the sub. An Audiocontrol LC2i active line output converter is selected to interface between the OEM amp and the XD500/3v2 using a Technic PnP HK harness -100% PnP, 100% reversible back to stock as this is a lease.

The LC2i active LOC is used in the HK OEM system in particular due to the 30V+ peaks of the OEM amp woofer outputs. No remote turn on is possible with the OEM amp as all its outputs are Class D -no existing signal sensing circuits can trigger with those Class D output signals. The LC2i can handle up to 40V peaks.

Now the install...

HK OEM amp (12V accessory jack connectors can be seen on the trunk right trim panel):

Technic PnP HK harness to be plugged in between the OEM amp and the OEM amp harness in the car (no messing around with OEM amp power or MOST connector):

The Technic PnP harness for the HK allows the install of a trunk sub, extra power to the underseat woofers or both installs, no need to cut any wires:

Custom LC2i/XD500/3 mounting rack in a slanted design to clear trunk floor when closed -completely removable:

Direct battery and ground connections:

Custom cables connected to the LOC and woofer connectors at the Technic PnP HK harness (remote signal not shown):

Trunk sub Molex quick-disconnect:

Trunk sub installed:

Notes:

1. Midbass and sub bass everywhere. In any song. Even Cha-cha-cha.

2. Woofers and sub were tuned with the iDrive Bass adjustment in the center. The purpose is to use the Bass adjustment as a bass "knob" for both the OEM woofers and trunk sub, while the 100Hz 7-band EQ slider is the trunk sub level adjustment. Trunk sub was set to 100Hz low pass, OEM woofers were set at 80Hz high pass for some overlapping. Gains were set minimum for the sub (anything more and it was overwhelming), and 9 o'clock for the OEM woofers.

The LC2i was set to output via the Main port (no need for the Accubass feature of the Bass port). The remote turn on was set to turn on only the LC2i and then the XD500/3 to turn on via signal sensing from the LC2i. The purpose of this arrangement is simple: the OEM 12V accessory port at the trunk turns on when any door/trunk is opened, exactly like the OEM amp. However, it turns off in about 13 minutes or so. That is too long for the XD500/3 to be on -it will draw too much current from the battery.

The solution was to keep only the LC2i on/off via the 12V accessory port line and make the XD500/3v2 to turn on/off only when the iDrive is on/off. The XD500/3v2 receives its inputs only when the iDrive outputs a signal via the LC2i. No signal, no XD500/3v2 turn on. The LC2i current draw is tens of times less than the XD500/3v2 thus battery load would be insignificant for just 13 minutes. No need to tap or run a wire from the iDrive OEM remote turn on signal to the trunk either. The 12V accessory port wiring is just above the OEM amp. A custom blade connector interface was created for the OEM 12v accessory jack -no wires tapped, 100% PnP, 100% reversible back to stock.

The XD500/3v2 is set to use only 2 RCA inputs to generate 3 channel outputs.

3. Although the OEM woofers are 7 ohms and the XD500/3v2 is rated at 75W RMS/150W max at 4 ohms, they sound way louder with the technically less than 150W than the OEM amp supposedly 125W at 7 ohms. I mean, they were so loud and deep with this XD amp that I suggested to the customer to return the sub if he liked what he was hearing/feeling.

He politely refused. He wanted more of that. Once you go Bass you cannot go back.

4. The Basswedge trunk sub is something else for its price. Yes, it takes quite a lot of trunk real state, it is not an elegant solution, it is bulky. But it solves all sub bass problems. All of them. Deep, loud, tight bass. Perfect complement to the OEM woofers new midbass impact.

Customer was happy. Very happy.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #2
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Gorgeous
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2015, 07:18 AM   #3
mbradlawrence
Rep
Drives: 435 gran coupe xdrive

This looks fantastic but I am slightly confused. It looks like the LOC take only one channel. I'm assuming you are using the bass output from the HK as that input. If that is so, what signal is used for the midbases, is it a direct connect from the HK amp to the other amp and then out to the speakers?

Edit: Sorry, It just dawned on me that all the "sub" is contained in the woofer signal, this just parsed it out into two signals.

Last edited by mbradlawrence; 05-06-2015 at 07:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
      05-06-2015, 08:24 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

There are two woofers in all BMW OEM sound systems, a left and a right woofer. Those are the 2 signals input into the LC2i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blawrecne View Post
This looks fantastic but I am slightly confused. It looks like the LOC take only one channel. I'm assuming you are using the bass output from the HK as that input. If that is so, what signal is used for the midbases, is it a direct connect from the HK amp to the other amp and then out to the speakers?

Edit: Sorry, It just dawned on me that all the "sub" is contained in the woofer signal, this just parsed it out into two signals.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #5
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

He must have been very happy to lose that much boot space:thumb down

Had the same predicament with the standard UK system cured that without losing boot/trunk space.

Did a write up on the UK section http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1064506

Used JL Audio subs too but in a bespoke housing underfloor
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Customer is always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sussex_F32 View Post

Had the same predicament with the standard UK system cured that without losing boot/trunk space.

Did a write up on the UK section http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1064506

Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #7
Tomahawk
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328I MSport

Quote:

Ah but you did lose space. Might not have been visible space, but usable space none the less. And this speaker/box combo probably cost same as one of your subs alone, much less the fab costs associated. So, while yours is pretty, I am sure this guy is pleased when his budget is considered. But dont knock Technic because he gave his client what they wanted.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2015, 04:47 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
Ah but you did lose space. Might not have been visible space, but usable space none the less. And this speaker/box combo probably cost same as one of your subs alone, much less the fab costs associated. So, while yours is pretty, I am sure this guy is pleased when his budget is considered. But dont knock Technic because he gave his client what they wanted.
... and when the customer needs his trunk he then unplugs the box and puts it somewhere else. The HK OEM woofers with aftermarket power will still pound loud and deep enough so the box would not be missed as much for awhile.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 04:16 AM   #9
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
... and when the customer needs his trunk he then unplugs the box and puts it somewhere else. The HK OEM woofers with aftermarket power will still pound loud and deep enough so the box would not be missed as much for awhile.
This is the same philosophy with the underfloor housing it can be lifted out and unplugged too. Being my only vehicle I use the boot/trunk continuously and often fold the seats for long items, did look at building a unit to the left side of the boot in the fender area too but chose under floor as it did not reduce usability of main boot/trunk area. To be honest my last E92 I filled the underfloor with 'stuff' that stayed there unused until I sold the car. This one I never put anything there to start with so don't miss it.
Removing it does change the staging and if set up correctly to optimise the sound stage would be noticeable when disconnected.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:32 PM   #10
mightycrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 320d black sport

Quote:
This is the same philosophy with the underfloor housing it can be lifted out and unplugged too. Being my only vehicle I use the boot/trunk continuously and often fold the seats for long items, did look at building a unit to the left side of the boot in the fender area too but chose under floor as it did not reduce usability of main boot/trunk area. To be honest my last E92 I filled the underfloor with 'stuff' that stayed there unused until I sold the car. This one I never put anything there to start with so don't miss it.
Removing it does change the staging and if set up correctly to optimise the sound stage would be noticeable when disconnected.
Can you please provide some detail how you made the sub closure in the boot? It looks very well designed.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 02:59 AM   #11
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Used the underfloor liner as a mould for the fibreglass - covered in it tape first. The top deck was made with mdf then built up with mdc rings to space the subs up at either end then the whole thing fibreglassed together.

It drops snuggly into the existing liner when complete. Looks great but really simple, takes a little time compared with building a square box but the results a re so much neater.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 09:03 AM   #12
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Do the two little compartments in the F30 trunk meet the minimum volume requirements that are optimal for those subs? Looks fantastic btw - wish i knew how to work with fibreglass and where to get the materials....

You wouldn't want to build/sell another one would you? ... or write up a detailed DIY ...

EDIT: Never mind .. lol - did a little more digging and noticed your 8W3v3's are only rated at only 250W looks nice, but need something that will kick some serious ASS. And at 0.30 cu ft minimum JL audio recommends for sealed box, you are lucky to get the min volume you need for those things in those tiny little F30 cubby holes. Next.

Last edited by squidlyboy; 05-17-2015 at 12:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2015, 01:00 AM   #13
Pamela
Private
Rep
Drives: Hayden

This is fantastic, how you have fixed it? These compartments are very small but this kind of space is really good for deep bass.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #14
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

If you want to listen to music the sound is so rich and full it is incredible to believe you are in a car and not six rows back at a concert.

If you want to rattle the windows out then a boom box with 50,000 watts might be more suitable, i leave that to my 20 year old i'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:47 PM   #15
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
Used the underfloor liner as a mould for the fibreglass - covered in it tape first. The top deck was made with mdf then built up with mdc rings to space the subs up at either end then the whole thing fibreglassed together.

It drops snuggly into the existing liner when complete. Looks great but really simple, takes a little time compared with building a square box but the results a re so much neater.
Mate, I'm about to take delivery of a new F32. I really like your design.

I currently have a JL Audio 10w6v3 that I'm looking to move to the new car. I know I can get the enclosure volume right with that much space but is the top dimensions of that storage compartment big enough for a 10" sub?
      07-24-2015, 08:12 AM   #16
stevenlb22
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi all
I have a 2015 435I M Perf. I got Technic Lc2I and the HK harness. Love it because no wire cutting. All is good except where can I get the remote wire. Any suggestions will greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #17
stevenlb22
Rep
Drives: X5

Hi
Can you please tell me where you buy the custom box from.

Thanks

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      07-24-2015, 08:25 AM   #18
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlb22 View Post
Hi all
I have a 2015 435I M Perf. I got Technic Lc2I and the HK harness. Love it because no wire cutting. All is good except where can I get the remote wire. Any suggestions will greatly appreciated.
See above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
No need to tap or run a wire from the iDrive OEM remote turn on signal to the trunk either. The 12V accessory port wiring is just above the OEM amp.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 02:48 AM   #19
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenlb22 View Post
Hi
Can you please tell me where you buy the custom box from.

Thanks
It was made by using the underfloor stowage as a mould. I obtained another thinking it would be damaged in the process but was not necessary. I used a guy who does fibreglassing all the time who completed it in a few evenings.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #20
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Mate, I'm about to take delivery of a new F32. I really like your design.

I currently have a JL Audio 10w6v3 that I'm looking to move to the new car. I know I can get the enclosure volume right with that much space but is the top dimensions of that storage compartment big enough for a 10" sub?
It depends on the land around the speaker as the top deck of the box is added to the mould there are numerous options including angling the driver to gain an extra half inch
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 08:38 AM   #21
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
It depends on the land around the speaker as the top deck of the box is added to the mould there are numerous options including angling the driver to gain an extra half inch
Thanks mate. I've since received my car and tested the sub in the space available. Unfortunately it's over an inch too deep. Even without a box around it.

Guess I'll have to do the enclosure above the battery.
      07-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #22
Sussex_G20
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Oh well I think that is why the slim line subs are becoming so popular now.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread