F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > connected drive on US import car
Studio RSR

07-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2014 428i

connected drive on US import car

i got USA import 428i (4/2014) in Europe with tech package, prof. navi, TCB, apps etc. the car has been coded to eu specs already (temp, lights etc).

I am trying to get connected drive working in Europe but various bmw dept. are giving me a run around.

eventually got a call from Germany CD help desk and they say I just need to swap a simcard to a European one inside my car...

Anyone knows where to look for one and where is the IMEI code written down?

tx for any help
xS
      07-12-2015, 02:18 PM   #2
buysk
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i M-Sport

I have also been trying to get this done. After talking to a few techs, it seems like we may need a new Telematics control unit. The US spec part number is 65902219127 and the European one is 84109362852. I have been told that this box contains the SIM. I am not sure if the card can be changed. Here is a note from RealOEM. I haven't tried this yet, as the unit is around 500 euros.

"Order and installation of an encoded
telematics control unit will deactivate
the currently installed SIM map.
ConnectedDrive and Teleservice services
can then only be implemented with the
new control unit. The ordered control unit does not
operate in any other vehicle,
only this one!"
      07-13-2015, 05:18 AM   #3
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buysk View Post
I have also been trying to get this done. After talking to a few techs, it seems like we may need a new Telematics control unit. The US spec part number is 65902219127 and the European one is 84109362852. I have been told that this box contains the SIM. I am not sure if the card can be changed. Here is a note from RealOEM. I haven't tried this yet, as the unit is around 500 euros.

"Order and installation of an encoded
telematics control unit will deactivate
the currently installed SIM map.
ConnectedDrive and Teleservice services
can then only be implemented with the
new control unit. The ordered control unit does not
operate in any other vehicle,
only this one!"

thanks for the info! have your heard about the "magic" date of 07/2013 after which the cars have different TC units and supposedly do not need much HW change to get this "sim change" done? My car is from 4/2014....

or I wonder if an aftermarket/2nd hand unit can be re-used? maybe some "innovative" coding would suffice?

Last edited by keltis99; 07-13-2015 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 09:43 AM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltis99 View Post
i got USA import 428i (4/2014) in Europe with tech package, prof. navi, TCB, apps etc. the car has been coded to eu specs already (temp, lights etc).

I am trying to get connected drive working in Europe but various bmw dept. are giving me a run around.

eventually got a call from Germany CD help desk and they say I just need to swap a simcard to a European one inside my car...

Anyone knows where to look for one and where is the IMEI code written down?

tx for any help
xS
The TCB is inside the trunk right beside the fusebox and all you need to do is pull out the trunk carpet cover. The IMEI and the ICCID should be written on a label there.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2015, 01:49 PM   #5
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aritaurus View Post
The TCB is inside the trunk right beside the fusebox and all you need to do is pull out the trunk carpet cover. The IMEI and the ICCID should be written on a label there.
you are 100% correct Aritaurus! its right there.
      07-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #6
buysk
Private
United_States
Rep

I also have a newer model. I have looked at the coding in the TCB section in esys. It doesn't look like there is much to code in that module. Here is the link to the TCB that is in my vehicle. It looks like it is built specific for AT&T which is the provider used by BMW in the US. My thought is to purchase a European version and see if that works. From my research, this seems to be the only different module in the Telematics system between european and us vehicles.

http://developer.att.com/developer/d...2-169eb707cb78
      07-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buysk View Post
I also have a newer model. I have looked at the coding in the TCB section in esys. It doesn't look like there is much to code in that module. Here is the link to the TCB that is in my vehicle. It looks like it is built specific for AT&T which is the provider used by BMW in the US. My thought is to purchase a European version and see if that works. From my research, this seems to be the only different module in the Telematics system between european and us vehicles.

http://developer.att.com/developer/d...2-169eb707cb78
thanks for sharing! my only (cheap) hope was that there was an Australian forum member that confirmed that he brought his 328 from Australia to UK and there was no need to change the TCB unit - he just registered and unregistered with CD services...he claims it works for him;

what are your thoughts about buying a 2nd hand unit?
      07-16-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltis99 View Post
you are 100% correct Aritaurus! its right there.
Don't know if this is a coincidence but my BMW Assist all of a sudden stopped working. When I go to the ConnectedDrive Menu, all of the options like Concierge, Roadside Assistance, BMW Online and Internet all say that there is no network connectivity and the start option is entirely greyed out.

When I press the SOS button, it just says establishing call and stays like that for 5 minutes until it times out.

Is this also what happens for you guys when you attempt to use any of the ConnectedDrive services on your US spec'd cars in Europe? I'm trying to troubleshoot to see if this is a problem with my ATM module or with the SIM card.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #9
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Don't know if this is a coincidence but my BMW Assist all of a sudden stopped working. When I go to the ConnectedDrive Menu, all of the options like Concierge, Roadside Assistance, BMW Online and Internet all say that there is no network connectivity and the start option is entirely greyed out.

When I press the SOS button, it just says establishing call and stays like that for 5 minutes until it times out.

Is this also what happens for you guys when you attempt to use any of the ConnectedDrive services on your US spec'd cars in Europe? I'm trying to troubleshoot to see if this is a problem with my ATM module or with the SIM card.
when i press emergency call button the idrive system just freezes...there is no connection here in Europe with US sim card. i need to change that SIM somehow
      07-19-2015, 02:41 AM   #10
steve@codemybimmer
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltis99
Quote:

when i press emergency call button the idrive system just freezes...there is no connection here in Europe with US sim card. i need to change that SIM somehow
Does it look like this whenever you try to use the telematic options?

I think my SIM card got deactivated somehow.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #11
buysk
Private
United_States
Rep

On mine, I have never been able to get the menu to show at all. Under options the "Update assist" is just greyed out. When I press SOS, it does nothing. It seems to me that your sim got unregistered somehow.
      07-20-2015, 04:51 AM   #12
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep

i get the following menu options on my CD (mobile care, teleservices, hotline) ...nothing is functioning. sos button also does not work.

however I did manage to subscribe to a German Connected Drive services portal - i do have an account with them where my car is listed "active"....however no services is seen under menu options there....obviously the signal does not reach my vehicle

S
Attached Images

01-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #13
Mistertmac
Chief Warrant Officer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 ZCP,20 G06,24 G05 M60i

Garage List
So did anyone ever figure this out? It would be nice to be able to get BMW connected services in Germany!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 08:15 AM   #14
keltis99
Private
Belgium
Rep

yes some people had it done (in Romania i hear) by replacing the TCB unit in the back (usa->eu) and registering it with the bmw servers officially (new IMEI tied to your VIN). However its hardly worth it for a whopping ~500eur fee. A phone with google access provides for a similar (and better in my opinion) functionality. TCB hardware are made for different markets so there is no way around this and hardcoded sim cards are also tied to specific providers (ATnT in US). Dealers are usually of no help since this is way too advanced for them (in Germany i just got "not possible"). one needs to go to retro-fitters. In Russia they managed to install a local (russian) sim card into an american TCB and get RTII services (but not other connected drive functions). In the end i gave up on this DYI and just use my phone. The only remaining question if I could somehow activate spotify App on my connected drive menu...maybe via the dealer

Last edited by keltis99; 01-04-2018 at 12:33 PM..
Appreciate 1