F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > X-Drive future update?
Extreme Powerhouse
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-26-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
963mw
BMW Fanatic
963mw's Avatar
United_States
284
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (0)

X-Drive future update?

Do you think that X-Drive will ever see an upgrade that allows the user to toggle between automatic power distribution to the axles and the option to vary the power distributions to the axles manually (Making car FWD or RWD in city...)
__________________
18 BMW M2 | ER DP | ER CP | Wagner Evo 2 Comp Intercooler | Aquamist HFS4 | BM3 | CSF Oil Cooler | AFE Drop-in Filter | Bilstein B16 PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
R0ut3r
Private First Class
R0ut3r's Avatar
Canada
72
Rep
155
Posts

Drives: 2020 X4M, 2019 X3, 2016 X1
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

That seems unlikely.

The only hope for any control over x-drive functionality is when (if ever) M cars get xdrive.

Even then, you can't play with xdrive settings in the X5M or X6M so I would say this is a sign that it is really not something BMW is thinking about.

Cheers
__________________
___________________________________________
Current: 2020 X4M, 2019 X3, 2020 Porsche C4S Cab (992)
Past: 2009 e92 335XI, 2012 e92 M3, 2014 335XI, 2016 X6M, 2019 M5, 2013 Ferrari California, 2017 Ferrari California T
Montreal, Canada
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2015, 11:08 PM   #3
vince88
Second Lieutenant
vince88's Avatar
Canada
24
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '13 328i Xdrive Sports
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

I'd love that!
__________________
2018 - 440 Grand Coupe M1/M2 - SB with BD
2015 - 435i XDrive - M Perf Limited Edition - Santorini Blue (Ice storm recall)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:20 AM   #4
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
23
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 14' 435i xDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

I would like them to do a software update to improve the xDrive's performance setting while in Sport(+) mode. To allow the drive to drive more aggressively in dry and wet conditions.
__________________
[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="1"]2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:21 AM   #5
963mw
BMW Fanatic
963mw's Avatar
United_States
284
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (0)

I just wish someone from BMW reads this and goes like "hmm, let's do it".
__________________
18 BMW M2 | ER DP | ER CP | Wagner Evo 2 Comp Intercooler | Aquamist HFS4 | BM3 | CSF Oil Cooler | AFE Drop-in Filter | Bilstein B16 PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:50 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
4296
Rep
12,451
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhelou View Post
I just wish someone from BMW reads this and goes like "hmm, let's do it".
Or they may say "why?"

Isn't the concept of xDrive already doing pretty much what users want... 'automatically'. Don't users buy xDrive because they want best grip, achieved by transferable torque, across a wide range of conditions and driver inputs?

What specific gains would there be adding manual control, other than not wanting an xDrive function?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 2
      07-27-2015, 05:11 AM   #7
963mw
BMW Fanatic
963mw's Avatar
United_States
284
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Or they may say "why?"

Isn't the concept of xDrive already doing pretty much what users want... 'automatically'. Don't users buy xDrive because they want best grip, achieved by transferable torque, across a wide range of conditions and driver inputs?

What specific gains would there be adding manual control, other than not wanting an xDrive function?

HighlandPete
More function for the car. It would make the car more enjoyable if you go on a track day, or if the user simply wants a more fun car whilst retaining the functionality of X-Drive, i.e switching X-Drive from auto to manual and vice versa without the need of changing cars. This would hugely bolster X-Drive sales IMO.
__________________
18 BMW M2 | ER DP | ER CP | Wagner Evo 2 Comp Intercooler | Aquamist HFS4 | BM3 | CSF Oil Cooler | AFE Drop-in Filter | Bilstein B16 PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 05:13 AM   #8
Polo08816
Brigadier General
1204
Rep
3,314
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Or they may say "why?"

Isn't the concept of xDrive already doing pretty much what users want... 'automatically'. Don't users buy xDrive because they want best grip, achieved by transferable torque, across a wide range of conditions and driver inputs?

What specific gains would there be adding manual control, other than not wanting an xDrive function?

HighlandPete
Well, I would argue that the xDrive isn't doing exactly what I would want. I would like to see the xDrive have the ability to actively torque vector between left and right wheels of at least the rear axle. Similar to the Audi S4's Quattro.

xDrive is great in inclement weather, but it isn't a "performance AWD system" until it can do the above.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 05:43 AM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
4296
Rep
12,451
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Well, I would argue that the xDrive isn't doing exactly what I would want. I would like to see the xDrive have the ability to actively torque vector between left and right wheels of at least the rear axle. Similar to the Audi S4's Quattro.

xDrive is great in inclement weather, but it isn't a "performance AWD system" until it can do the above.
BMW have marketed xDrive in the 3-series as an 'all-weather' vehicle rather than a performance drive. Ride height and suspension options being real indicators of the intended marketplace.

I guess future M-cars may get the full works, with torque vectoring like the X5/6 M models.

Not sure BMW have xDrive as a priority for performance 3/4 series at present. Could change I suppose, as they are missing a trick with Audi out there taking potential sales.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 05:49 AM   #10
....,,,,..,,..
General
No_Country
6640
Rep
20,659
Posts

Drives: xxxx
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: xxxx

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
Well, I would argue that the xDrive isn't doing exactly what I would want. I would like to see the xDrive have the ability to actively torque vector between left and right wheels of at least the rear axle. Similar to the Audi S4's Quattro.

xDrive is great in inclement weather, but it isn't a "performance AWD system" until it can do the above.
Would you be willing (and all other Xdrive owners) to pay say 5k ($8k) over and above current price?

The new M5 when it comes out may show what can be done with a performance car and xdrive.

However, xdrive is not and not marketed as performance,

I would even say the majority of owners would not even know what the next set up was even if they could adjust it.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 06:20 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
4296
Rep
12,451
Posts

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
..I would even say the majority of owners would not even know what the next set up was even if they could adjust it.
I was thinking a similar way before my first post. Never commented on this, as I was waiting to see how this thread takes direction.

Do many owners/drivers even know how xDrive is working now during their driving? The thought on an "aggressive driving" (Sport+) setting, what would that be? xDrive is supposed to already adjust to grip levels and driver input, so other than a more advanced system like torque vectoring, how can it be adjusted to be more attuned to a Sport+ type setting?

I suggest other than disconnecting the front axle drive (make it RWD with all the disadvantages of a front heavy car with additional rotating mass and inertia) any switching implementation has to have some positive advantage. What that is... any definitions?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 07:23 AM   #12
hinckley
Lieutenant Colonel
hinckley's Avatar
United_States
1002
Rep
1,862
Posts

Drives: '20 X4 M40i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Would you be willing (and all other Xdrive owners) to pay say 5k ($8k) over and above current price?
Yes. Absolutely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
The new M5 when it comes out may show what can be done with a performance car and xdrive.
Audi does it with its sport diff. I'm certain BMW's engineers can do it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
However, xdrive is not and not marketed as performance,
And it's marketed properly. BMW's system is designed for foul weather traction, not for performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
I would even say the majority of owners would not even know what the next set up was even if they could adjust it.
That's why is should be an extra cost option, like Audi's sport diff.
__________________
CURRENT: '20 X4 M40i | '15 Porsche 911 GTS Cab 7MT
RETIRED : '18 M4 6MT | '13 M5 6MT | '08 550i 6MT | '04 545i 6MT | '98 540i 6MT | '94 530i 5MT | '84 528e 5MT
Other retirees from Chevrolet, Buick, Subaru, Honda, Acura, Merkur(!), Volvo, Saab, Audi and Porsche
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #13
Fat Panda
Private First Class
Canada
23
Rep
140
Posts

Drives: 14' 435i xDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Toronto, ON

iTrader: (0)

Matt Farah on the smoking tire took a 235iM xDrive out on a track in both wet and dry, and he did not like it in the wet at all. In the dry, it was good, but when it became wet the xDrive did not let him drive the car the way he wanted to.



__________________
[COLOR="DimGray"][FONT="Verdana"][SIZE="1"]2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport "Elphie" | Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Interior | M Performance Package I | Premium Package | ConnectedDrive | bootmod3 OTS Stage 1 93 Octane Tune | M Performance Exhaust | M Performance Stainless Steel Pedal Covers | Dinan Performance Spring Set | Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #14
Michael Schott
Colonel
343
Rep
2,119
Posts

Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Farmington Hills, MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhelou View Post
More function for the car. It would make the car more enjoyable if you go on a track day, or if the user simply wants a more fun car whilst retaining the functionality of X-Drive, i.e switching X-Drive from auto to manual and vice versa without the need of changing cars. This would hugely bolster X-Drive sales IMO.
While this would benefit you and some other enthusiasts, the typical BMW owner only buys xDrive because of the perceived poor weather benefits. These added functions would be over their heads.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
bahasad
Major
bahasad's Avatar
United_States
305
Rep
1,498
Posts

Drives: F30, E90
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Somewhereinamerica

iTrader: (4)

Since BMW is planning to implement xdrive on their true M-cars, they better put some effort into developing it to be more like Quattro.

I also like the ability to control power distribution. More choice is always better in my eyes, which is why I like functions like the Active Chassis Control and Throttle Control.
__________________
Current: 17 Mustang GT no bmw
Gone but not forgotten: 07 E90 335I, 04 UA6, 95 E36, 04 EP3, 16 S550 EB, 14 F30 328I Stg 1, 08 E90 328I
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 12:43 PM   #16
BruceOmega
Private First Class
23
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sportline
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alexandria VA

iTrader: (0)

What I find interesting is the changes that have been occurring in xDrive implementation.

On the F30, for the first time as far as I can tell, BMW started offering an optional suspension, sport AT, and variable sport steering with xDrive.

On the M235i and the 6 series, they are offering the same sport suspension and ride height on xDrive as on RWD.

One thing I don't understand-
BMW seems to market the 4 series as sportier than the 3 series, similar to the 6 vs the 5. Given that I don't know why BMW doesn't offer the same sport suspension and ride height for xDrive as for RWD in the 4 series.

Bruce
__________________
2017 340i M-Sport, xDrive, Estoril, Adaptive M Suspension, 18" Staggered, Increased Top Speed Limiter, AT, Black Kidney Grilles, ZCW, ZDA
2011 X3 35i Sold
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #17
Polo08816
Brigadier General
1204
Rep
3,314
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Would you be willing (and all other Xdrive owners) to pay say 5k ($8k) over and above current price?

The new M5 when it comes out may show what can be done with a performance car and xdrive.

However, xdrive is not and not marketed as performance,

I would even say the majority of owners would not even know what the next set up was even if they could adjust it.
It depends. Is BMW with it's new AWD system delivering a better value/package than it's competitors at that price? If so, then yes. If not, then no.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 02:52 PM   #18
WilliCO
Captain
WilliCO's Avatar
United_States
98
Rep
900
Posts

Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
What I find interesting is the changes that have been occurring in xDrive implementation.

On the F30, for the first time as far as I can tell, BMW started offering an optional suspension, sport AT, and variable sport steering with xDrive.

On the M235i and the 6 series, they are offering the same sport suspension and ride height on xDrive as on RWD.

One thing I don't understand-
BMW seems to market the 4 series as sportier than the 3 series, similar to the 6 vs the 5. Given that I don't know why BMW doesn't offer the same sport suspension and ride height for xDrive as for RWD in the 4 series.

Bruce
Agreed - though I believe the changes in the F30 you refer to above have come with the LCI. I can only assume they will flow down (up?) to the F32/F36 when it hits LCI next year.
__________________
-Will
2013 535i xDrive M-Sport | 2005 545i Sport (Retired and missed) | 2001 X5 3.0 Sport (Retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 03:20 PM   #19
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
iconoclast's Avatar
No_Country
5227
Rep
5,249
Posts

Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: In, Out & Around...

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhelou View Post
Do you think that X-Drive will ever see an upgrade that allows the user to toggle between automatic power distribution to the axles and the option to vary the power distributions to the axles manually (Making car FWD or RWD in city...)
sounds like you want a pick up truck with a low range box.

the xdrive system is a combination of electronically and mechanically controlled components. haldex is mostly electronic and torsen is all mechanical all the time.

i highly doubt any bmw driver would want this ghastly device propped up next to their comfort access doors, leather dash and other "luxury" features:

Appreciate 0
      07-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #20
963mw
BMW Fanatic
963mw's Avatar
United_States
284
Rep
1,079
Posts

Drives: M2
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Mexico

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
sounds like you want a pick up truck with a low range box.

the xdrive system is a combination of electronically and mechanically controlled components. haldex is mostly electronic and torsen is all mechanical all the time.

i highly doubt any bmw driver would want this ghastly device propped up next to their comfort access doors, leather dash and other "luxury" features:

I'm pretty sure BMW can hook it up to the iDrive system haha. Furthermore, I don't think I really want a transfer case, I just want to have the ability to adjust the power distribution for a more spirited approach drive sometimes.
__________________
18 BMW M2 | ER DP | ER CP | Wagner Evo 2 Comp Intercooler | Aquamist HFS4 | BM3 | CSF Oil Cooler | AFE Drop-in Filter | Bilstein B16 PSS10
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 09:24 AM   #21
marlin2911
Private First Class
marlin2911's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
112
Posts

Drives: 2017 530i xDrive
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Yardley, PA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
sounds like you want a pick up truck with a low range box.

the xdrive system is a combination of electronically and mechanically controlled components. haldex is mostly electronic and torsen is all mechanical all the time.

i highly doubt any bmw driver would want this ghastly device propped up next to their comfort access doors, leather dash and other "luxury" features:

Actually, it sounds more like everyone that wants this wants Nissan's ATTESA E-TS AWD system. Car is AWD when starting from 0-16mph (at least on the G37 it is), then the car transfers power 100% to the rear at driving speeds until the system detects slip, at which point power is then returned to the proper wheels. The drive system is mostly RWD in architecture, and power is sent to the front wheels via transfer case. It's heavy, but it works incredibly well.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 10:04 AM   #22
crono06
Captain
crono06's Avatar
Canada
119
Rep
757
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i and 2018 X3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto ON

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
What I find interesting is the changes that have been occurring in xDrive implementation.

On the F30, for the first time as far as I can tell, BMW started offering an optional suspension, sport AT, and variable sport steering with xDrive.

On the M235i and the 6 series, they are offering the same sport suspension and ride height on xDrive as on RWD.

One thing I don't understand-
BMW seems to market the 4 series as sportier than the 3 series, similar to the 6 vs the 5. Given that I don't know why BMW doesn't offer the same sport suspension and ride height for xDrive as for RWD in the 4 series.

Bruce
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliCO View Post
Agreed - though I believe the changes in the F30 you refer to above have come with the LCI. I can only assume they will flow down (up?) to the F32/F36 when it hits LCI next year.
My suspicion is that they are 'testing' this in their lower volume vehicles first. Could you imagine how much of a hit they would take if they put it in the 3/4 and then later realized there's some catastrophic flaw?
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST