THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes springs

11-07-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
springs

hey guys, has anyone tried using the Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit with any springs other than the dinan ones?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 02:03 PM   #2
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Are you trying to upgrade from what is in the kit?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #3
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Are you trying to upgrade from what is in the kit?
Yea pretty much
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #4
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
hey guys, has anyone tried using the Dinan Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit with any springs other than the dinan ones?
Yes, I use these OEM bump stops with Eibach Pro-Kit Spring. These made a big difference. It's one of those things you simply must have if you only use lowering springs.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      01-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #5
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Yes, I use these OEM bump stops with Eibach Pro-Kit Spring. These made a big difference. It's one of those things you simply must have if you only use lowering springs.
How are the pro Kits springs working with the Adaptive suspension on your M235? Eibach doesn't seem to make a separate spring for that suspension like H&R does.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #6
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
How are the pro Kits springs working with the Adaptive suspension on your M235? Eibach doesn't seem to make a separate spring for that suspension like H&R does.
I like them. Overall, it's a good upgrade if done along with the bump stops. I like the lowering both visually and functionally. It's already just past the reasonable for the stock shock absorbers so I definitely wouldn't want it to be any lower. Someone here posted a picture where they produced an excessive front rake as the rears didn't settle - not in my case. The lowering is 15 mm front and 10 mm rear when new, although after 12k miles on them I think the rear settled a bit more (or maybe it's just that I put on 255/35/18 tires in the rear that seem to fill up the wheel well more). With the bump stops in question they handle really well, improved turn-in and cornering, much improved stability of the car at high speed, less nose dive and squat on braking and acceleration, a bit tighter steering wheel (just right). No issues on good quality roads.

There may be issues on cr*ppy roads with lots of potholes and waves on them, especially if the car is loaded - more chance of bottoming out, damaging wheels, etc., or even hitting the underside if you go too fast for the conditions because the springs are still not stiff enough (I'm not sure they are stiffer than stock springs), and the shocks are not stiff enough, to prevent too much vertical movement.

I cannot imagine how I would drive with the kind of lowering you get with H&R. That would be for the looks only. I really think that is wrong for the stock shocks. The reason I chose Eibach over H&Rs is precisely because they do not produce too much lowering.

Adaptive shocks longevity? That I don't know. Sometimes I drive on really bad roads so that could be a factor. Right now I am at 12k miles on them and want to go to the dealer and check everything in the suspension including shocks. It's really cold (- 20 C) out here and once it got cold I started hearing a knocking/rattling sound in the suspension in the morning, can't quite place it, that would pretty much go away after about 5-10 min of driving, could be the shocks dying or, hopefully, just too cold outside and something plasticky/rubbery getting too stiff and rattling about. Will find out soon.

Last edited by x233; 01-07-2017 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      01-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
I like them. Overall, it's a good upgrade if done along with the bump stops. I like the lowering both visually and functionally. It's already just past the reasonable for the stock shock absorbers so I definitely wouldn't want it to be any lower. Someone here posted a picture where they produced an excessive front rake as the rears didn't settle - not in my case. The lowering is 15 mm front and 10 mm rear when new, although after 12k miles on them I think the rear settled a bit more (or maybe it's just that I put on 255/35/18 tires in the rear that seem to fill up the wheel well more). With the bump stops in question they handle really well, improved turn-in and cornering, much improved stability of the car at high speed, less nose dive and squat on braking and acceleration, a bit tighter steering wheel (just right). No issues on good quality roads.

There may be issues on cr*ppy roads with lots of potholes and waves on them, especially if the car is loaded - more chance of bottoming out, damaging wheels, etc., or even hitting the underside if you go too fast for the conditions because the springs are still not stiff enough (I'm not sure they are stiffer than stock springs), and the shocks are not stiff enough, to prevent too much vertical movement.

I cannot imagine how I would drive with the kind of lowering you get with H&R. That would be for the looks only. I really think that is wrong for the stock shocks. The reason I chose Eibach over H&Rs is precisely because they do not produce too much lowering.

Adaptive shocks longevity? That I don't know. Sometimes I drive on really bad roads so that could be a factor. Right now I am at 12k miles on them and want to go to the dealer and check everything in the suspension including shocks. It's really cold (- 20 C) out here and once it got cold I started hearing a knocking/rattling sound in the suspension in the morning, can't quite place it, that would pretty much go away after about 5-10 min of driving, could be the shocks dying or, hopefully, just too cold outside and something plasticky/rubbery getting too stiff and rattling about. Will find out soon.
Thanks for the detailed response.I'm looking for an alternative to the Dinan spring kit because of the very expensive installation cost. I've already ruled out the H&R's because of what you said about them.I put some Eibach's on a Taurus SHO and was very satisfied with them so I know they make a good product.
BTW Our temps here are about the same as you are experiencing and I was just thinking that all squeaks ,rattles,and groans have to be ignored because cars really don't like to be driven in this type of weather!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 06:37 PM   #8
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
I'm looking for an alternative to the Dinan spring kit because of the very expensive installation cost.
The Dinan springs should cost you no more to install than any other springs.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 06:59 PM   #9
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post
The Dinan springs should cost you no more to install than any other springs.
At a Dinan dealer they do. BMW book rates.Close to $1000.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #10
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Then just don't have them installed by a Dinan dealer. I had mine installed at a speed shop including the new bump stops and spacers for $225.
If you go with another brand like H&R will you have them installed by an "H&R dealer?"
Happy with my Dinans but there is no way that I was going to pay $1000 for a simple spring install.

Last edited by ChrisFulton; 01-07-2017 at 07:55 PM..
Appreciate 2
ocN55559.50
Tpeterson156.50
      01-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #11
N55guy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Garage List
2014 BMW m235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Then just don't have them installed by a Dinan dealer. I had mine installed at a speed shop including the new bump stops and spacers for $225.
If you go with another brand like H&R will you have them installed by an "H&R dealer?"
Happy with my Dinans but there is no way that I was going to pay $1000 for a simple spring install.

Exactly my thoughts... dinan will still stand by their product no matter who installs them, as long as they are installed properly.

Very satisfied with mind too, I just DIYed
Appreciate 2
      01-08-2017, 09:07 AM   #12
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the feedback and advice. I had thought of non Dinan dealer installation also -DIY is more than I want to attempt- but wondered about warranty coverage. You're both right.They have to honor their warranty if the springs are installed correctly. It's been mentioned already in this forum,but I'm glad to hear someone has done this way.Something for me to think about this Spring!
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #13
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and advice. I had thought of non Dinan dealer installation also -DIY is more than I want to attempt- but wondered about warranty coverage. You're both right.They have to honor their warranty if the springs are installed correctly. It's been mentioned already in this forum,but I'm glad to hear someone has done this way.Something for me to think about this Spring!
Go with the Dinan and an indy shop install Tpeterson, and also save yourself some additional $ by just ordering the bumpstops Dinan uses for their "Supplemental Ride Quality and Handling Kit."

Rears are part #: 33536762722
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...in-33536762722

Fronts are part #: 31331138814
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-31331138814oe

Last edited by ChrisFulton; 01-08-2017 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 01:13 PM   #14
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Go with the Dinan and an indy shop install Tpeterson, and also save yourself some additional $ by just ordering the bumpstops Dinan uses for their "Supplemental Ride Quality and Handling Kit."

Rears are part #: 33536762722
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...in-33536762722

Fronts are part #: 31331138814
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...-31331138814oe
Are these the bump stops you had installed? I see the 2 Series is not listed as a fitment.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #15
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are these the bump stops you had installed? I see the 2 Series is not listed as a fitment.
Yes. These are exactly what you will receive if you buy the Dinan "Supplemental Ride Quality & Handling Kit" for the m235i.
I believe they are sourced from two different models of the 5 series.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      01-24-2017, 01:52 AM   #16
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:

do you have the dinan supplemental ride quality kit installed as well, or just the springs?
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2017, 04:41 PM   #17
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
do you have the dinan supplemental ride quality kit installed as well, or just the springs?
Springs and bumpstops as specified in my post above. (#13)
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:32 PM   #18
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

I have Dinans + supp ride kit and the car rides great. IMO drop is perfect. H&R's seem too low and less opportunity for aggressive tires to boot. I run a M perf front lip and rarely bottom out although i am careful. $1000 is ludicrous. I installed mine in 4 hrs. Any reputable shop should be more than fine if your uncomfortable with the install. Heres a few pics of the stance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #19
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drpoomanchu View Post
I have Dinans + supp ride kit and the car rides great. IMO drop is perfect. H&R's seem too low and less opportunity for aggressive tires to boot. I run a M perf front lip and rarely bottom out although i am careful. $1000 is ludicrous. I installed mine in 4 hrs. Any reputable shop should be more than fine if your uncomfortable with the install. Heres a few pics of the stance.
That looks great! But as fat as shops go i work part time at one here in the valley so i would probably just install it myself haha and where did you get the lip from? Ive been looking for one but honestly $500 for it just seems a but much
399.8whp on 91oct
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #20
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

Quote:
Quote:
That looks great! But as fat as shops go i work part time at one here in the valley so i would probably just install it myself haha and where did you get the lip from? Ive been looking for one but honestly $500 for it just seems a but much
Contact Brian Keller at Sun Motor cars bkeller@sunmotorcars.com

He is awesome to work with and great prices..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #21
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Contact Brian Keller at Sun Motor cars bkeller@sunmotorcars.com

He is awesome to work with and great prices..
Yea ill look into that
399.8whp on 91oct
Appreciate 0