F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > NYS inspections now require measuring tint
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #23
WillSkill
First Lieutenant
WillSkill's Avatar
United_States
145
Rep
344
Posts

Drives: 2013 AW 335i
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwsteg View Post
Anyone have any recommendations to get inspection with 50% tints?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleeyh View Post
Any updates/news from people that got their inspection done?

Thanks!
Getting an inspection with tint isn't much of a problem guys. I have 25% and passed no problem
Where? Please Pm me if possible.
Pm replied
Can you pm me also? Thanks
Can you pm me also? Thanks[/quote]

Pm replied
__________________
2013 Alpine White 335i -M Sport/// Akrapovic Catback Exhaust/// KW Street Comfort Coilovers/// BMS intake/// JB4/// ER front mount intercooler/// ER Charge pipe/// ER catless downpipe/// 18" Apex Arc-8 in Anthracite/// Michelin Pilot Super Sports
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #24
ggrr8t
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2013 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
They obviously did it to protect the officers which does make sense.. I know if I were an officer I would feel dodgy approaching a hevily tinted vehicle not knowing if the occupants were armed

its either this or have a policy for when confronting a heavily-tinted vehicle they should get on the bullhorn and ask the occupants to all get out of the car..
How would he know if they complied? Some tints allow for an occupant to have a gun barrel right up and pointing at an unsuspecting officer. I understand the reason for this law. A stop with dark tints at night on a lonely road is a cops nightmare. I'd love tints on my sapphire black. I can live without them if only a few officers get to go home to their families.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 10:29 AM   #25
insanecoder
Colonel
1184
Rep
2,845
Posts

Drives: 340isDrive
Join Date: May 2016
Location: East Coast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrr8t View Post
How would he know if they complied? Some tints allow for an occupant to have a gun barrel right up and pointing at an unsuspecting officer. I understand the reason for this law. A stop with dark tints at night on a lonely road is a cops nightmare. I'd love tints on my sapphire black. I can live without them if only a few officers get to go home to their families.
You have a point there but yes I wouldnt want to be an officer pulling over a tinted car.. dont know if everyone got out.. and could be your last stop.. cant see worth a damn whats going on in that heavily tinted car.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:25 PM   #26
shiftdnb
Private
United_States
33
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 328dx
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

When confronted with tint that is too dark an officer will ask you to roll all 4 windows down. Also, the flashlights they carry can easily penetrate and light up the interior with the technology that's out there today. To me having too dark of a tint is a hinderance for me as the driver. I'll be getting mine done legally with darker in the back to where I'm comfortable. I do wish I could get at least 50% in the front for summers. Coming from Florida tint can be life or death with black interior.
Appreciate 1
wdeerfield1175.00

      05-31-2017, 11:13 AM   #27
MyFirst340
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Northeast, US

iTrader: (0)

Can anyone recommend a shop for tints and/or having the inspection done? I'm thinking of getting 50%, this is my first car without any and I hate how the clear windows look on a black car. How much does it cost too, around? I just want enough (50) to give it a bit of something without being noticeable
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 08:41 AM   #28
ggrr8t
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 2013 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftdnb View Post
When confronted with tint that is too dark an officer will ask you to roll all 4 windows down. Also, the flashlights they carry can easily penetrate and light up the interior with the technology that's out there today. To me having too dark of a tint is a hinderance for me as the driver. I'll be getting mine done legally with darker in the back to where I'm comfortable. I do wish I could get at least 50% in the front for summers. Coming from Florida tint can be life or death with black interior.
Valid to a degree. Not every car stopped complies with a a request from the stopping officer. That still leaves the officer walking up to the stopped car. Using a flashlight can only illuminate so much of an interior but by the time one walks up and uses the light there is a moment when that officer's heart is racing. My daughters boyfriend is a beat cop in The Bronx and my brother is a NYPD detective. hearing horror stories first hand is scary. Sad but as evidenced by yesterday's execution of a NYPD officer, some people out there feel it is their job to take out cops.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 08:53 AM   #29
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
1175
Rep
6,132
Posts

Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrr8t View Post
Valid to a degree. Not every car stopped complies with a a request from the stopping officer. That still leaves the officer walking up to the stopped car. Using a flashlight can only illuminate so much of an interior but by the time one walks up and uses the light there is a moment when that officer's heart is racing. My daughters boyfriend is a beat cop in The Bronx and my brother is a NYPD detective. hearing horror stories first hand is scary. Sad but as evidenced by yesterday's execution of a NYPD officer, some people out there feel it is their job to take out cops.
so how are the other 49 states dealing with it without requiring a stupid yearly inspection of it. somehow balljoints and tierods are not on the inspection list but tint is. you can drive an old rust bucket so long as the windows are not tinted apparently...

everyone can say that statement of "my [insert relative/friend here] is a cop" so im immediately suppose to agree with you or else? Just take a look at all the personal vehicles parked at a station.... most if not all are tinted.. if cops have such an issue with other cars being tinted, they shouldnt have their own personal vehicles tinted.
__________________
2013 EB/CR 335i xdrive | DHP | 19" VMR V803 | MPS4S | MPerformance | M3 Grills | BMS Tips | LED Turn Signals | CTS intake | VRSF FMIC | VRSF CP
2011 JB 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square | MPerformance Spoiler | M5 Grills | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2017, 11:03 AM   #30
shiftdnb
Private
United_States
33
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 2017 F31 328dx
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrr8t View Post
Valid to a degree. Not every car stopped complies with a a request from the stopping officer. That still leaves the officer walking up to the stopped car. Using a flashlight can only illuminate so much of an interior but by the time one walks up and uses the light there is a moment when that officer's heart is racing. My daughters boyfriend is a beat cop in The Bronx and my brother is a NYPD detective. hearing horror stories first hand is scary. Sad but as evidenced by yesterday's execution of a NYPD officer, some people out there feel it is their job to take out cops.
Thats going to happen regardless of tinted windows or not. If anything if a driver is failing to comply to roll their windows down for the officers safety then that should already be a red flag for an officer and the officer should put himself in a safe position before moving any further. Drivers with tint and no malicious intent will gladly roll their windows down.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 10:45 PM   #31
soonster
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: fx
Join Date: May 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillSkill View Post
Can you pm me also? Thanks
Pm replied[/quote]

my car is due for inspect too, i'm in bklyn. Suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #32
Diesel power
Private First Class
1
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 2014 328D Touring Msport
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (0)

So do people know how the inspection process works? Is it an automatic gauge they need to use like the emissions or is it just a field entry? Just got a new car and I really miss my tints on the old one. Trying to figure out if it is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #33
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
1175
Rep
6,132
Posts

Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel power View Post
So do people know how the inspection process works? Is it an automatic gauge they need to use like the emissions or is it just a field entry? Just got a new car and I really miss my tints on the old one. Trying to figure out if it is worth it.
visual inspection to determine if they are tinted. there is nothing to submit. but they can measure and include that in the reason for failure.
__________________
2013 EB/CR 335i xdrive | DHP | 19" VMR V803 | MPS4S | MPerformance | M3 Grills | BMS Tips | LED Turn Signals | CTS intake | VRSF FMIC | VRSF CP
2011 JB 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square | MPerformance Spoiler | M5 Grills | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #34
Diesel power
Private First Class
1
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: 2014 328D Touring Msport
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (0)

So it is really up to the shops discretion I guess
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2017, 03:11 PM   #35
greatwhiteshark
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: maxima
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Help with Inspection--Tints

in NYC. Does anyone have ideas/help?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2017, 12:13 PM   #36
NYC_340i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
34
Rep
228
Posts

Drives: '16 340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Staten Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhiteshark View Post
in NYC. Does anyone have ideas/help?

Thanks.
+1

Mines is due this month and if anyone can hint at a place that is lenient with tints that'll be awesome. Don't want to go through the hassle of removing and replacing the tints especially when I'll be moving to a more tint friendly state in a few months
__________________
Current: '16 340i xDrive EBII 8AT Mods: 30% tints, IND color matched front reflectors, M color grill inserts, rear lip spoiler, dual resonator delete, various coding, BMS Intake, JB+, M Performance Diffuser, 19" gunmetal Forgestar F14
Previous: '13 Volkswagen CC Executive 4Motion
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 06:49 PM   #37
hollandog
Major
hollandog's Avatar
United_States
408
Rep
1,024
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
+1

Mines is due this month and if anyone can hint at a place that is lenient with tints that'll be awesome. Don't want to go through the hassle of removing and replacing the tints especially when I'll be moving to a more tint friendly state in a few months
I did it in BMW of Brooklyn. Before they did the inspection they made sure that I don't have tint. He said the gov has been strict and questioned why haven't they failed anyone on tint. So they had to take it more seriously.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #38
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
1175
Rep
6,132
Posts

Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollandog View Post
I did it in BMW of Brooklyn. Before they did the inspection they made sure that I don't have tint. He said the gov has been strict and questioned why haven't they failed anyone on tint. So they had to take it more seriously.
yep. thats the issue. they are fining shops who dont comply. its the shops that get the fine, not you.
__________________
2013 EB/CR 335i xdrive | DHP | 19" VMR V803 | MPS4S | MPerformance | M3 Grills | BMS Tips | LED Turn Signals | CTS intake | VRSF FMIC | VRSF CP
2011 JB 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square | MPerformance Spoiler | M5 Grills | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #39
Fr3sh
#im_2_Fr3sh
6
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: Bmw 428i xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ny

iTrader: (0)

Any one know as spot that can pass with catless dp
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 07:47 PM   #40
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
1175
Rep
6,132
Posts

Drives: '13 f30, '11 f10
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Clifton Park, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr3sh View Post
Any one know as spot that can pass with catless dp
goodluck with that. you need to hookup to odb2 for NYS and pass emissions. no shop can fake that as it plugs into a computer.
__________________
2013 EB/CR 335i xdrive | DHP | 19" VMR V803 | MPS4S | MPerformance | M3 Grills | BMS Tips | LED Turn Signals | CTS intake | VRSF FMIC | VRSF CP
2011 JB 535i xdrive | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square | MPerformance Spoiler | M5 Grills | Painted Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 11:58 PM   #41
Fr3sh
#im_2_Fr3sh
6
Rep
80
Posts

Drives: Bmw 428i xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ny

iTrader: (0)

I had a shop where u would go and they would plug it to another car thatís getting their inspections and pass you. Too bad Shop owner moved to canada cuz of family 😢😭
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:57 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST