F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Advice- Bought a Cloned car
GetBMWParts

05-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #1
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d, MP pack, ACS springs

Advice- Bought a Cloned car

Hi guys

Stupid idiot that I am I drive from Cambs to Birmingham yesterday to buy a cloned car. It was cheap but not one of those stupidly priced ones that are obvious. Went to a house to meet guy (his v5 had this address on), he accompanied me to bank as needed cash. Yes I know it sounds ridiculous paying cash but all seemed to make sense yesterday which is what the idea is.

Anyway I'm waiting for police now and have already written off the £14k I dropped on it.

This is my worry- the guy has my address and took lots of interest in my 335d. I also stupidly stupidly told him I had a z4m which got him interested. I'm gonna tell the police but now so worried they'll come and do my home. House is listed and impossible to secure properly. Does anyone have any advice- Ive not told my wife this worrry, she's distraught enough as it is as he car was for her. I can afford to write the money off (although is literally all the cash I have in the world) but the worry of safety is awful.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 05:59 AM   #2
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Car is reported stolen and settled by insurance. If anyone knows of anyone who's successfully purchased the car cheaply (how cheaply!?) from insurance then also let me know. I've already dumped stupid amounts of money into this so if it's a case of dumping a few more to be able to keep it then guess it would be worth it....
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 06:11 AM   #3
F30Andy
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: An Entire Fleet

Sorry to hear this.

Best thing you can do is park the cars away from the house for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

Oh dear, sorry to hear this. You're not having much luck on the car front of late.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #5
willjames
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 3.0d M Sport

Install CCTV, do you have the house alarmed? Do you have a dog?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:42 AM   #6
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

How did you travel to the bank, his car or yours?

Who's address was it that you met him in?

Bank will have cctv inside of usually good quality which will hopefully identify him?

How was the ad placed?

Any phone numbers or email addresses?

Did you take any pics of driving licence or passport when seeing him to confirm identity?

Those are the sort of questions you should have been asked to give some leads for follow up on. Good quality pics of offender will allow officers to identity them and hopefully recover some of the money from home address if it's still there.

If found guilty then there is always a chance for compensation or seizure of money under POCA.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 07:47 AM   #7
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperyshoe View Post
Car is reported stolen and settled by insurance. If anyone knows of anyone who's successfully purchased the car cheaply (how cheaply!?) from insurance then also let me know. I've already dumped stupid amounts of money into this so if it's a case of dumping a few more to be able to keep it then guess it would be worth it....
Would recommend you park your cars away from home if possible - might look at renting a lock up perhaps but these people can be patient. On the other hand he's more than likely just being friendly to get you to lower your guard.

It's worth offering the insurance a bit of money simply as they may regard it as cutting their losses and not getting bad publicity. After all do they really want the hassle of getting a stolen and written off car recovered sold etc etc

Feel for you dude. Just remember these people are probably professionals and it's unlikely you will be the first they've scammed. Unfortunately decent people regard others being as honest and trustworthy as themselves
      05-14-2017, 08:19 AM   #8
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
Oh dear, sorry to hear this. You're not having much luck on the car front of late.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #9
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willjames View Post
Install CCTV, do you have the house alarmed? Do you have a dog?
I do but it doesn't work. Pretty limited on security doors and cctv etc as listed building.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #10
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I do but it doesn't work. Pretty limited on security doors and cctv etc as listed building.
Which is a worry as if they stole keys for my cars from house then no doubt car insurers would seek to recover from house insurers who would in turn say it was my fault. Gonna try and get a chippie in tomorrow to fit some more locks.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #11
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade View Post
How did you travel to the bank, his car or yours?

Who's address was it that you met him in?

The one listed on his fake v5. I reckon house was an empty (or one where owners were away) looking back on it as no pics on walls. They were good at there job- were cooking a curry, offered me, wife and 2yr old tea, water etc.

Bank will have cctv inside of usually good quality which will hopefully identify him?

Yes, told police this. We were in there for ages as bank wouldn't let me withdraw that much until I kicked off.

How was the ad placed?

Auto trader

Any phone numbers or email addresses?

Mobile phone- likely a burner.

Did you take any pics of driving licence or passport when seeing him to confirm identity?

No- he showed me what I assume now was a fake licence with detailsarchinf v5

Those are the sort of questions you should have been asked to give some leads for follow up on. Good quality pics of offender will allow officers to identity them and hopefully recover some of the money from home address if it's still there.

If found guilty then there is always a chance for compensation or seizure of money under POCA.
Nothing been done yet as officer not working till tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:27 AM   #12
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

What a nightmare.......feel for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the car and your address thing, those cars you mention are hardly worth travelling to Cambridgeshire to boost. As said, the twat was probably just distracting you from asking awkward questions until money was in hs thieving palms.

Good luck with reaching some kind of resolution. And next time HPI, even if buying a £5k banger.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:28 AM   #13
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Police from up this way picked up keys and car is at audi dealer waiting for collection so thats it unless I could negotiate with insurer.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 08:56 AM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

How did you find out so quickly that the car was dodgy?

Also assume there is no one now at the address you met him? Whose house was it?

I certainly wouldn't be accepting that the police officer isn't working until tomorrow, they need someone onto it asap to maximise the chance of any result.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #15
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
How did you find out so quickly that the car was dodgy?

Also assume there is no one now at the address you met him? Whose house was it?

I certainly wouldn't be accepting that the police officer isn't working until tomorrow, they need someone onto it asap to maximise the chance of any result.
Real question is what took me so long in hindsight! It was when we went to tax online with so called new keeper slip and it said not recognised. Lightbulb moment for me and the scam unravelled. Drove straight to Audi dealer rhis morning and they confirmed in less than a minute as VIN looked different- the thiefs missed the vin under boot (police didn't even know about it) so they were able to tell me it had been recently nicked (and paid out on).

Not really much I can do. Local police here says it's not their territory and ones there say officer not in till tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 10:33 AM   #16
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

If the case has been allocated to an officer to deal with, then I am afraid you will have to be patient.

I know it's never what you want to hear, but the Rozzers are human too and do have days that they don't work.

If you call 101 and leave a message for him to call you on his return to work then that is what will happen.

Just ask the right questions when you do speak with them, such as what lines of enquiry are they following, do they have any suspects linked, are there similar jobs recently, that sort of thing.

It's best if you write your questions down and ask if you can email them to the OIC as then it is recorded what is happening.

The main thing is it's their crime to investigate, but it should still be done properly and you have certain rights as the victim.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:11 AM   #17
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
What a nightmare.......feel for you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the car and your address thing, those cars you mention are hardly worth travelling to Cambridgeshire to boost. As said, the twat was probably just distracting you from asking awkward questions until money was in hs thieving palms.

Good luck with reaching some kind of resolution. And next time HPI, even if buying a £5k banger.
I did HPI and it was clear as cloned to a clean car. Reg and vin matched each other. Unfortunately Audi no longer have the same spec chec BMW do. Matching that vs the extras onthe car would have told.

You're right on the cars I guess- they mean more to me than there market value I guess!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #18
Sullym6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

How did you find out it was cloned?
Just seen the answer, good job you found out quickly so hopefully the police can get them
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:36 AM   #19
Slipperyshoe
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks chaps. And good advice too especially DF and TB who I know have more than a little experience with the law.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 11:59 AM   #20
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I did HPI and it was clear as cloned to a clean car. Reg and vin matched each other. Unfortunately Audi no longer have the same spec chec BMW do. Matching that vs the extras onthe car would have told.

You're right on the cars I guess- they mean more to me than there market value I guess!
If you have done the full HPI check, you are aware they offer protection if it is not a clean car? Up to £30k compensation.

Good luck with the investigation and hoping for the best possible outcome for you.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #21
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Quote:

If you have done the full HPI check, you are aware they offer protection if it is not a clean car? Up to £30k compensation.

Good luck with the investigation and hoping for the best possible outcome for you.
This
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #22
Ajs_435d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 435d m sport m performance

sorry to hear this.
Appreciate 0