F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Do sway bar end links make a difference?
ARMA SPEED

07-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
DSH7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Do sway bar end links make a difference?

If you've got aftermarket sways, are upgraded end links a consideration? I know theres adjustable end links, but I couldn't find much on just an aftermarket upgraded/stiffer end link.

One commenter on some forum said a stiffer end link will allow the sway bar to transfer load quicker. Makes sense to me...it's the link between the bar and the suspension. But I couldn't verify that anywhere... and I couldn't find any specific aftermarket end links that claimed to be an upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:22 PM   #2
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

If you lower the car, adjustable links will allow you to adjust the bar so the geometry is at its best or has the most leverage.

http://www.hpashop.com/HP-Autosport-...-HPAEL-F3x.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 07:56 PM   #3
mel4fun
M-powered
Rep
Drives: G30 - 530i

So for a lowered ride (@ 1.5 inch), what should be the right length for the end-link ?

should I get the longer end link (as compared to factory) or a shorter one ?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 12:17 AM   #4
HP Autosport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel4fun View Post
So for a lowered ride (@ 1.5 inch), what should be the right length for the end-link ?

You will need longer endlinks to get the bar back to a more ideal geometry. You need to extend your links 1.5" if space allows, otherwise at least 1 to 1.25".
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Glacier Silver F30 328i

So from what I'm reading. When lowering your car, some "must haves" are: Endlinks, Camber kits, and Sway/Anti-roll bars?
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2017, 09:57 PM   #6
alpine335guy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel4fun View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
You will need longer endlinks to get the bar back to a more ideal geometry. You need to extend your links 1.5" if space allows, otherwise at least 1 to 1.25".
When lowering the suspension, you will need shorter endlinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbnb1978x View Post
So from what I'm reading. When lowering your car, some "must haves" are: Endlinks, Camber kits, and Sway/Anti-roll bars?
By "must haves" do you mean the parts are necessary? Or that you "might as well" install them together?

I would only consider the endlinks "must haves" because without them its likely you will not be able to correctly preload the sway bar. The need for camber kits really depends on the vehicle model and desired ride height, alignment, and wheel fitment. While adding a sway bar has many benefits, it is the furthest from necessary.

Last edited by alpine335guy; 08-07-2017 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 01:19 AM   #7
jaymax
F30 328i Msports N20+ERDP+CP+TIC+FMIC+MPE+ JB4
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 BM3 Stage 2

I have msports adaptive sussi and for some reason when I changed over to coilover, I needed shorter end links to clear by lower arm. I'm running H&R ARB's as well so in order to clear the lower arm, I'm forced to use the outer hole of the ARB so that it sits flatter on the end links. To begin with I'm only lowered by 5mm and this suspension geometry is too much hassle considering its for a 5mm drop to begin with.

The car now has an odd feeling when stationary or at low speed inside parking lots etc, the steering just pulls due to the load to the end links. So yes I reckon that adjustable endlinks are required or anything end links that has the right length. Btw i'm using a Mercedes end link coz the length fits.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 01:39 AM   #8
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Sway bar end links are a great and inexpensive upgrade for two main reasons, they often come with stiffer or upgraded bushings or joints and the adjustable ones allow you to properly set the end link length to match your ride height after you lower the car. Lowering the car with factory end links puts your sway bar under increased tension and, since you almost never lower the car exactly the same amount on the left and right sides, you will also have uneven tension on one side. In many cases, you may end up with a car that pulls slightly to one side or that feels a little strange in corners due to this sway bar tension.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2017, 04:29 AM   #9
Lancelot
Major
France
Rep
Drives: 2017 m550i

Checked my bars yesterday, their orientation seems fine when lowered, I think KW placed the endlinks attachment points properly so the lowering doesn't dramatically impact geometry[IMG][/IMG]

However i noticed my driver side endlink bushing is worn out, i believe stronger ARBs may be putting additional strain on them, so for me the interesting point is to use stronger parts so they don't break while driving :-/

However 4 UUC endlinks would set me back $300...
Attached Images

08-09-2017, 05:45 AM   #10
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remonster View Post
Sway bar end links are a great and inexpensive upgrade for two main reasons, they often come with stiffer or upgraded bushings or joints and the adjustable ones allow you to properly set the end link length to match your ride height after you lower the car. Lowering the car with factory end links puts your sway bar under increased tension and, since you almost never lower the car exactly the same amount on the left and right sides, you will also have uneven tension on one side. In many cases, you may end up with a car that pulls slightly to one side or that feels a little strange in corners due to this sway bar tension.
Hmmm...Maybe that's why my car pulls slightly to the right? I've had it aligned twice and it still seems to pull a little. My car is only lowered 1 inch but maybe all cars are not the same and react differently....
2014 GLACIER SILVER F30 328i * Wheels:18" VMR V801 Titanium Black Shadow * Springs: DINAN 1" Lowering Springs * Tune: BM3 OTS E30/93 OCT * Engine: Evolution Racewerks Catless DP/CP/FMIC * Intake: AWE S-Flo Carbon Fiber Intake * Exhaust: AWE Exhaust Suite + Mid Pipe * Go Fast Bits DV+ Diverter Valve * Plugs: NGK LI Plugs * Lights: Depo Angel Eyes W/ Morimoto HID's * Hood: Seibon Carbon Fiber Hood
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 05:51 AM   #11
fate_f30
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
If you lower the car, adjustable links will allow you to adjust the bar so the geometry is at its best or has the most leverage.

http://www.hpashop.com/HP-Autosport-...-HPAEL-F3x.htm

Are these a pretty easy install?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #12
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

i lowered my car on BC racing coils 1 inch and it came with shorter sway bar links and handling improved alot... way less body roll
Appreciate 2
Lancelot486.50
Fr3sh28.50