F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Car Accident in NYC.
Extreme Powerhouse

07-22-2017, 10:50 AM   #1
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21' M8 Competition Gran Coupe

Car Accident in NYC.

So, I live in NY and had my F36 brought in from California.

My opinion on NY is you can never drive a nice car because of its drivers.

So this occurred yesterday afternoon around 6 PM.
I was in Coney Island by a restaurant where I had placed an order for take out and briefly stepped out to pick up the food.

Inside, as I had paid for the food, I heard a commotion and looked to see my girlfriend, who was the passenger, get out of the car flipping out.
So naturally, I stepped outside to see what was going on and seen that there was a school bus that had collided with my F36.

Not even a month since I had the car mind you...

So I went around and seen the damage of the vehicle and ushered the bus driver to pull over and I was walking besides the bus.

I called 911 and had told them what happened and awaited for the police to arrive. The bus driver went on to tell me that he was going to lose his job, this was his second accident blah blah blah..
What makes me the most angriest is he tried to guilt trip me by saying that he was ready to kill himself, to get out of NY, had a divorce, etc. I had 0 care for a reckless driver, especially a children school bus driver who would drive like that. I had asked him what happened after him and my girlfriend got into an argument and he told me that he was swerving through a car in front to pass him but didn't see my car by the way he was sitting. He told me he had just left his boss's house and he had warned him to put the seat up because he didn't have a clear vision on the right side.

When the police arrived, it was a male and a short female and the first thing they did was go to speak to the bus driver. After the conversation, the female officer was the only one that walked over to me and she had a grin, which I have no idea why.. So I decided to make things straight with whatever bullsh*t they heard and I presented the video. She goes and proceeds to tell me "you're not supposed to be double parked". I looked at her in disgust and thought, are you really trying to justify this asshole's mistake by saying I was double parked? Are you kidding?

My girlfriend had heard the male officer tell the bus driver, in his defense, can say that I was double parked.

What a fucking joke, @nypd.

The reason why I am posting here is, my insurance is kicking me out at the end of this month due to my given driving record history, which I had 3 accidents prior to this, one was where I was rear ended on the highway (not at fault), one time which was a minor one where I had no experience and notified the insurance like an idiot and the last one where a drugged out pedestrian in my neighborhood had decided to jump in front of my car on a rainy day and catch a lawsuit from me.

Luckily, this happened before my insurance with Geico was up as it ends at the end of July, but I need to know what my options are. I am currently awaiting for the police report and then proceed with his insurance.

Is this considered partially at fault as well? I never had an experience where I wasn't in the car physically and is it better in the state of NY if I am in the vehicle?

I also wanted to mention at the time, my steering wheel was straight but after the impact, it had moved my vehicle sideways and when I walked in the car, my steering wheel was spun all the way to the right. I did attempt to drive and now, the transition between comfort and sport mode feels different, and the RPM seems to stick around on 2 and not move.

Is there a body shop around NYC that my fellow bimmerpost know that can help me fix or replace the damages, have the engine and steering inspected? As well as maybe a way to get some money on the side? I don't even have a NY inspection sticker, that's how new it is. I also have a M-Performance Exhaust I purchased from a fellow member here and would like to have it installed as well as a resonator delete.

Is there a shop that can assist me with all this, taking advantage of the other parties' insurance? I know there are shops that can help fully take advantage of insurance and get a nice pay out but I want to take the full advantage of that asshole's insurance.

Following are the pictures of the accident:
View post on imgur.com

I was able to obtain a video footage of the accident as well, but I'm not sure how to upload it here, so if anyone wants to chime in, PM me your number and I'll send over the video.

This blows.

Thank you in advance,
Jay.

------------------------------------------------
Update: (7/23/2017)

The owner of the bus company wants to meet today and go by a couple of shops and he's offering to pay for the damages.

Should I do that or should I pursue his insurance instead? Just in case something more pops up and I need it paid for.

------------------------------------------------
Update 2: (7/23/2017)
Essentially, Geico said I am not at fault, but if I go through on my coverages, I would have to pay my $1,000 deductible.

I was hoping to find a shop that can help me not pay my deductible and repair my vehicle. Last time, I was in the rear ended accident in my mom's Altima, the body shop waived the $1,000 deductible and I got to keep the $1,000 deductible Geico went and received at Nationwide (the other party). I was hoping to see if I can do the same. The reason why I'm not going back to that body shop though, is because I found out they used cheap materials to repair the car. I can't have the same happening with my car.

Can anyone assist in Brooklyn area?
I want to be able to install my exhaust and remove my resonator as well with the repairs.

Last edited by OchoChino; 07-23-2017 at 03:56 PM.. Reason: Bus Driver willing to pay.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      07-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #2
Paz1
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

Unfortunately, you were double parked . You are at fault . Accident wouldn't of happened if u weren't doubleparked. Let this be the third or fourth learning experience for you ! Drive safely
Appreciate 2
ceedawg467.50
      07-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #3
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

you double parked and got hit by a bus. you really expect to win that one? That may fly in CA but not in NY at all.
      07-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #4
Ricostrong60
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' AW f82 11' E92

like everyone says, you were double parked. However if you had said you were waiting for a parking spot as someone was leaving that wouldve made it a little better. PM me your details and ill see if i can see what the report says
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      07-23-2017, 12:51 AM   #5
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
you double parked and got hit by a bus. you really expect to win that one? That may fly in CA but not in NY at all.
That's what I don't understand.

I just quickly ran into pick up my food, but what I don't understand is, it doesn't give a school bus the right for him to drive his bus into my car..

He tried justifying it saying he couldn't see my car because he rides the seat low and that impairs his vision. It just doesn't make sense and it's really unfair. Especially given the fact that the car was fresh from CA. Like why now?!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #6
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supremeceas View Post
I have someone in the Bronx if interested pm me
PM'd.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 12:52 AM   #7
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricostrong60 View Post
like everyone says, you were double parked. However if you had said you were waiting for a parking spot as someone was leaving that wouldve made it a little better. PM me your details and ill see if i can see what the report says
PM'd!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #8
mdai245
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i XDrive

Ouch sorry to hear. I double park my car in nyc sometimes. Good to know the risks.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      07-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #9
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdai245 View Post
Ouch sorry to hear. I double park my car in nyc sometimes. Good to know the risks.
Yup, you never know what can happen.

I understand the wrongs of double parking, but in a state where parking is little to none, I think I can say that most of the people would double park, especially for just picking up some food.

It just really sucks.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 01:37 PM   #10
NormanConquest
That Libertarian Guy
Rep
Drives: 340i

In NJ you can double park for a very brief time in NYC they have zero exception if your not a commercial vehical so your sol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #11
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
In NJ you can double park for a very brief time in NYC they have zero exception if your not a commercial vehical so your sol
I'm being told that the most that it'll affect is me getting a ticket for double parking, which I haven't.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

**EDIT:**

Essentially, Geico said I am not at fault, but if I go through on my coverages, I would have to pay my $1,000 deductible.

I was hoping to find a shop that can help me not pay my deductible and repair my vehicle. Last time, I was in the rear ended accident in my mom's Altima, the body shop waived the $1,000 deductible and I got to keep the $1,000 deductible Geico went and received at Nationwide (the other party). I was hoping to see if I can do the same. The reason why I'm not going back to that body shop though, is because I found out they used cheap materials to repair the car. I can't have the same happening with my car.

Can anyone assist in Brooklyn area?
I want to be able to install my exhaust and remove my resonator as well with the repairs.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #13
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
My cousin once got hit by a car in Flushing and he was not covered because the insurance said he was double parked. So I guess you're lucky in your case.

I personally really hate people double parking but that's how NYC is. Sometimes I see people choose to double park even when there is a hydrant spot/garage spot couple cars in front that they can block for a few minutes.

Sometimes when double parking is unavoidable I'll have my wife to pick up food or whatever. Never double park and leave your car. Lesson learned after being ticketed once for that.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #14
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Tolima's Auto in long island city queens

Sorry to heart about your accident

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2017, 07:16 AM   #15
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

I wouldnt drive a nice car in NYC
without the expectation that its was going to be bumped or hit
look at the cars parked in NYC and tell me if you find any without scratches or bumps
majority of them did when I looked around
once in NYC I saw a lady parking
she slammed into the car behind
then she slammed and physically shook the one in front
then she went back and slammed the one in the rear again
well she got into the spot for sure
you aint escaping NYC without a blemish
and dont get me started about those occasional protruding manholes
and once I nearly drove into a 5 foot deep depression cause the steel plate that covered it was dislodged and uncovered
NYC
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:31 AM   #16
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
Tolima's Auto in long island city queens

Sorry to heart about your accident
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2017, 08:35 AM   #17
OchoChino
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanecoder View Post
look at the cars parked in NYC and tell me if you find any without scratches or bumps
and once I nearly drove into a 5 foot deep depression cause the steel plate that covered it was dislodged and uncovered
NYC
That just about sums up NYC.

Once, I was driving my Altima and was headed towards a I-278 entrance and was a very deep pothole that had not been covered and it actually popped my tires.

NYC.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 04:38 PM   #18
hollandog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [9.00]
Well there are plenty of nice cars in nyc. Not sure the standard for nice car here anymore when $80k+ cars are common as Civic. You have to pay extra attention driving here. When shit happens it happens no matter where you drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2017, 07:03 AM   #19
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

so if you lived in NYC what would you drive?

Quote:
NYC
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2017, 12:51 AM   #20
ihateredlight
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

there are plenty of places in NYC where there are nice cars. i had my 335i up here for a year and a half and it never got hit.

since the train system (which sucks MTA/NJT) is another option than driving my car so frequently that's what kept it from getting beat up i guess.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 08:25 PM   #21
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep
Drives: G30 520i (Stock)

Quote:
NYC
OMG. Last year my entire under tray ripped off for going over one of those manholes. All my mounts broke, so I can't even replace them, and it almost took out my electric power steering.
      12-30-2017, 11:02 AM   #22
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Have only owned my 2k15 335i Msport for 2 weeks, so while stopped in downtown Brooklyn, rush hour, bumper to bumper traffic ,some clown looking at his cell phone hit me in the rear right in front of the police. Right in front of them.Happened last Wednesday 12/20/17 with the kids in the car. Thankfully they were fine but my 5 year old was spooked and was crying. Thankfully also most of the damage is cosmetic on the rear bumper and a small dent on the trunk. Paint has fractured stress lines from side to side and the tow cap is damaged. Cameras and sensors seem to be working fine. However the bumper looks ugly and the rest of the car mint brand new.
Just unreal. Driver of the other car a 2k10 ML350 gets out car and asks me why did I stop I just looked at him with disgust, and decided not to pick his ass up and body slam him because the police were right there with us and witnessed the whole thing . Retard did not realize that traffic was stopped. I mean really!!

Long story short his company Geico got the police report and have claimed 100% liability and will fix the car and pay for a rental. I will be bringing her to Rallye BMW Tuesday morning to get fixed.

By the way to the OP,Double parking here in NYC you take at your own risk. Even normal parking i hate to say. Lots of us do it(DP) here including Emergency service vehicles. It creates a very dangerous situation. Tickets are given at discretion of traffic officers.
Parking in NYC is the absolute worst,thank God for Uber!! I park my car then call Uber in many cases where I know my final destination will have no parking.
Appreciate 0