F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Hybrid powertrains for BMW M cars are already being tested
proTUNING Freaks

11-22-2017, 11:49 PM   #45
kprocivic
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: ecoboost s to the t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kung Fu English View Post
Which cars, exactly, accomplish this feat?
Take your pick, Chevy or Ford. Alfa, we'll leave out the discussion. Is the m4 even better than a 1le camaro SS for 25,000 more. I think the m4 is a great car, but preference and brand loyalty seem to be just as important as cost and performance I guess.
      11-23-2017, 12:02 AM   #46
dtmpower98
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Those features are old school compared to what’s coming for M cars.

DEFN- Old school

used, usually approvingly, to refer to someone or something that is old-fashioned or traditional:

"amenities that my parents, being of the old school, still take for granted"

Sorry.. there is nothing Old fashioned about a Dual Clutch transmission, or auto rev match. they are CURRENT day items... which is why I said middle school.

manual transmission ONLY in a sports car is old school. DCT is at best, currently new school.... and even in 40 years.. what is new school today won't be OLD school.. it will be in the middle of what is NEW (current then) and what is currently considered OLD right now.

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...-of/old-school

•old. Used when describing something you remember from a long time ago like in the 80's or early 90s

•Old fashioned, out of style, uncool. Opposite of "new school," which is hip, with it, in fashion.

www.urbandictionary.com

1- Anything that is from an earlier era and looked upon with high regard or respect

2- anything that refers to a previous generation of a subject/idea/object etc. Typically they are highly regarded and sometimes the very THING that started it all.

3- from back in the day

4- a positive appellation referring to when things weren't ' flashy but empty of substance ' , were done by hard work, didn't pander to the lowest common denominator, and required real skill. Labor saving devices, shortcuts that reduce quality, and quitting before the task is done are not characteristics of " old school"

5- retro

6- referring music from ' back in the day ' , the last decade, and before
LOL why don't you just go ahead and turn back time for us buddy. Oh wait.....
Follow me on Instagram- @dtmpower98
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:03 AM   #47
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by N & M View Post
Compared to the existing hybrid and electric tech, ICE engines seem to be the only choice for those who enjoy driving. The reality is though, we are forced to look at other tech not in the name of progress but to progress for our survival.

I really think we should have an open mind as to commitment of the car industry to retain the driver experience we so relish in their future developments.

I for one feel that somethings will be lost but others will be gained that will keep us interested.
I personally love to drive both.

Electric torque is addictive just the same.

Zero Emissions for the city, Fire Breathing Dragon outside the city limits.
Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      11-23-2017, 12:24 AM   #48
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo111 View Post
Super Cool!!!!

BMW M Division: The Ultimate Self-Autonomous Poser Machine

Or as Wendy's used to say, "Where's the beef?"
Yes, because BMW are the only car manufactor that will have this tech... not!
The rules apply to the entire car industry, thus everyone will use whatever tech to fullfill those norms, but it is just a stopgap towards the EV.
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      11-23-2017, 02:47 AM   #49
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
X3/4M introduction?
Better be full Electric or BMW will fail bigtime !
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 03:50 AM   #50
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

I Am Not Afraid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
For sure.

100 years ago you had to crank our engine over, literally, by hand...with a crank. You had no power steering and non synchronized transmissions. You had to manually adjust the ignition advance on the fly. Manual brakes too. Driving took skill and courage. I'll bet there were those who lamented all these facets of motoring disappearing, making cars so easy to drive "even a woman could do it." Well times change and progress marches on. I say bring it on BMW. Cant wait to see what they come up with. And for those of us who really miss the "good old days" we can certainly go out and buy whatever second car fits our definition of "old school", be it from the 90s, 80s, 70s, 60s, 50s,.....

there are some of us who still lament facets of motoring disappearing... namely.... the art of shifting a transmission.

We currently have a generation of drivers that are
SO AFRAID OF DAMAGING THEIR CAR ON TRACK
SO AFRAID THAT THEIR LAP TIME WON'T BE AS GOOD
SO AFRAID THAT IF THEY MISS A SHIFT THEY WILL DAMAGE THE CAR
SO AFRAID THAT THEIR WIFE CAN'T TAKE IT TO WORK

DUE TO THEIR LACK OF SKILL .... that they buy an AUTOMATIC - oooops.. " DCT" .
I respect you more than most on this posting board.

I bought M-DCT considering I have had been given the choice of many new configurations for weeks on end and I simply prefer the way the DCT holds on to boost while shifting vs the 6 speed manual. If the car was NA I'd go for the stick, otherwise it is DCT all the way.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 08:36 AM   #51
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccyber View Post
Great. It's just a sign of progress. Progress that can move forward without me. Makes me finally fulfill my dream of buying an e39 M5 or e46 M3.
Agree- curious and excited for the future....

::adds low mile E46 M3 to cart::

Appreciate 1
scrammer420.50
      11-23-2017, 08:59 AM   #52
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

The rules apply to the entire car industry, thus everyone will use whatever tech to fullfill those norms, but it is just a stopgap towards the EV.
That's why Ford just made a glorious NA flat plane crank V8 making 530 hp at 8300 rpm ..... and Porsche will continue putting high revving flat six motors in its GT cars . plenty of companies are still making emotionally engaging and enjoyable powertrains in addition to their mass hybrid fleets . BMW is no longer an enthusiast focused company . It is what it is , and yes these hybrid cars are not as fun and engaging as there ice counterparts , just like NA power trains are more engaging and have more character than turbo ones . Battery tech is no where near " trackable " at this point in time and hybrids are a poor compromise weight wise. If any one actually believes that Tesla roadster can go 250 mph , get 600 miles , and only weigh in at 2700 pounds , I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you as well lol .
Appreciate 2
      11-23-2017, 09:56 AM   #53
Amgeater2
Major
Rep
Drives: X6M, M8, Mc 600LT, 296GTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

That's why Ford just made a glorious NA flat plane crank V8 making 530 hp at 8300 rpm ..... and Porsche will continue putting high revving flat six motors in its GT cars . plenty of companies are still making emotionally engaging and enjoyable powertrains in addition to their mass hybrid fleets . BMW is no longer an enthusiast focused company . It is what it is , and yes these hybrid cars are not as fun and engaging as there ice counterparts , just like NA power trains are more engaging and have more character than turbo ones . Battery tech is no where near " trackable " at this point in time and hybrids are a poor compromise weight wise. If any one actually believes that Tesla roadster can go 250 mph , get 600 miles , and only weigh in at 2700 pounds , I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you as well lol .
as I previously mention before you are making assumptions and talking smack about what the bmw M division is going to do.. there is no real data or specs for you to say that. Also let me just mention it's ok not to agree with what the automotive industry is doing and will continue to do... it's totally ok for you to think that way and stay behind with the old technology and I can respect that.. with that being said your comment about Ford engines is just not accurate as they just release the GT as their super car "flagship car" and it was a turbo engine., so they will cobtinue to used that technology and embrace it for other generations of cars and engine platform's, lastly regarding your other comment about Porsche and their flat engines is even worse as Porsche is moving towards all turbocharged engines including the 2020 gt3 which we will probably see hybrid components.. so the waste land is looking more like a prime lot...
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #54
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

...If any one actually believes that Tesla roadster can go 250 mph , get 600 miles , and only weigh in at 2700 pounds , I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you as well lol .
The Roadster might not weight 2700 pounds but It can easily do 600 miles with a 200 kw pack.

Vote with your wallet because ICE is on its way out so hurry and buy a gas car while you still can. That Roaster is no joke.
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #55
Cuz5150
Major
Rep
Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

1st. Happy Thanksgiving
2nd. Runs outside and hugs my E46 M3's.
3rd. Starts drinking
06-M3 Coupe-Mystic/Black/6MT/ZCP/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
Appreciate 3
Roundown575.50
scrammer420.50
tetsuo1111224.00
      11-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #56
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

All I can say is fuck all this bullshit electrification crap! I want a lightweight NA car that I can track all day fast without overheating... Sure add more power to compensate for weight but tires and pads get eaten up faster with heavier car and heavier cars need to be differently on the track.. Not as much fun.. Fuck this shit
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #57
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

...If any one actually believes that Tesla roadster can go 250 mph , get 600 miles , and only weigh in at 2700 pounds , I have some swamp land I'd like to sell you as well lol .
The Roadster might not weight 2700 pounds but It can easily do 600 miles with a 200 kw pack.

Vote with your wallet because ICE is on its way out so hurry and buy a gas car while you still can. That Roaster is no joke.
ICE is on its way out with the Germans. They are busy saving Mother Earth American "muscle" cars are where it's gonna be at in the future for those of us that want a REAL car with an exhaust, range etc etc... Straight line acceleration is just one facet of "sporty" driving. That's really all these electric cars have going for them.

You love electric cars and that's great. Some of us love driving and that's gonna be lost (with BMW) in the not too distant future.

BMW's aren't what they once were and most of us on these boards have known this for quite some time. Don't get me wrong fellas I'm a fan but things aren't looking good at least from my perspective.

One of the members on here just got back from ED and said that BMW is plastering "mobility" everywhere as their new ///Marketing strategy.

Ultimate driving machine is gone. Sad but true.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #58
nujabes24
Forever Rest In Beats
Rep
Drives: 2014 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00tw00t View Post
All I can say is fuck all this bullshit electrification crap! I want a lightweight NA car that I can track all day fast without overheating... Sure add more power to compensate for weight but tires and pads get eaten up faster with heavier car and heavier cars need to be differently on the track.. Not as much fun.. Fuck this shit
Hey I’m with you, not with this hippie nonsense. But the times are hanging bro.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:28 PM   #59
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz5150 View Post
1st. Happy Thanksgiving
2nd. Runs outside and hugs my E46 M3's.
3rd. Starts drinking
I think what we have to realize is that there's two types of drivers on this form ones that grew up in an analog age and ones that did, or are, growing up in the digital age.

Like Cuz5150 above I love to go out every day and look at my Z4 M Roadster (which is in storage right now for the winter) as it is a fantastic Driving Experience. At the same time I'm happy to be able to look right beside it and see my X4 35i M-Sport with every bit of technology in the world and know that it is an incredibly capable and safe vehicle.
For those of us that grew up in the analog age, we long for vehicles that you actually have to drive and we wish that the manufacturers would bring some of those vehicles back.
My challenge to you ... go to your local dealer and drive a manual E46 M3 or Z4M or S2000 or some other performance car from that era and I bet you it puts a smile on your face cuz they are true driver's cars. Some of us still like the best of both worlds.

Last edited by scrammer; 11-23-2017 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 12:30 PM   #60
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrammer View Post
I think what we have to realize is that there's two types of drivers on this form ones that grew up in an analog age and ones that did or are growing up in the digital age.

Like cuz 5150 above I love to go out every day and look at my Zed 4 M Roadster which is in storage right now for the winter as it is a fantastic Driving Experience at the same time I'm happy to be able to look right beside it and cnx 435i M Sport with every bit of technology in the world and know that that is an incredibly capable and safe vehicle. But for those of us that grew up in the analog Age We long for vehicles that you actually have to drive and we wish that the manufacturers would bring some of those Vehicles back my challenge to you go to your local dealer and driving E46 M3 or something from that vintage and I bet you it puts a smile on your face cuz they are true driver's cars
Don't they use punctuation in Canada?
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2017, 12:41 PM   #61
scrammer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Don't they use punctuation in Canada?
Talk to text ... part of the digital age!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #62
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Boy has this thread been jacked and turned somber so quickly..
if any auto company can solve the problems of the demand of a performance hybrid or even an all-electric.. to give me a car I can drive spiritly and track occaisionally
I'd put my bet on BMW
at least until the freakin governments outlaw driving
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:45 PM   #63
evolution80
Captain
Austria
Rep
Drives: M3 F80 silverstone

Garage List
Quote:
^this!

enjoy your cars
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 12:52 PM   #64
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Sounds like a Miata
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #65
w00tw00t
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
Sounds like a Miata
Lol!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #66
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Super Cool!!!!

ICE is on its way out with the Germans. They are busy saving Mother Earth American "muscle" cars are where it's gonna be at in the future for those of us that want a REAL car with an exhaust, range etc etc... Straight line acceleration is just one facet of "sporty" driving. That's really all these electric cars have going for them.

You love electric cars and that's great. Some of us love driving and that's gonna be lost (with BMW) in the not too distant future.

BMW's aren't what they once were and most of us on these boards have known this for quite some time. Don't get me wrong fellas I'm a fan but things aren't looking good at least from my perspective.

One of the members on here just got back from ED and said that BMW is plastering "mobility" everywhere as their new ///Marketing strategy.

Ultimate driving machine is gone. Sad but true.
Buy what you like now mr generalization because it's all about to radically change.

I own electric and I also live to drive, the very reason I just ordered a M-Car before the major disruption.
Appreciate 0