F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > All Seasons for 2104 GT Sportline???
Extreme Powerhouse

12-13-2017, 12:00 PM   #1
North Shore Trader
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 x28i MSport

All Seasons for 2104 GT Sportline???

Hello, all..

So I just agreed to buy a shiny 2014 GT Sportline! I pick it up mid January.
It comes with Conti SSR Summer tires.

Has anyone had luck tracking down All Season Run Flats for the 19" stock rims that come with the car?

I really didn't want to have summers and winter tire sets but it seems as though it isn't as easy as I originally thought!!

Size: P225/45R19 Front & P255/40R19 Rear mixed

Ive come across the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ but I can't seem to find out if they are run flats or regular?

The fall back would be a full set of winter tire and rims... Boooo!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I wouldn't mix the sizes, it's not a Z4. 40 series tires are bad news with RFT. RFT AS in 19" are pretty rare, the only ones I found are Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS RF.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #3
Lazarus.Bird
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i GT

I have a '15 GT and also didn't want to have two sets of tires (not a lot of storage ******* and I live in PA so I wanted to go AS. I actually ended up going down to an 18" wheel because I wanted a smoother ride and I liked the look of the slightly larger tires. I did go with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and I really love them. Obviously I'm not taking my GT to the track or anything, but they have handled great in both the summer and winter.

They are not run flats. It looks like the Pilot Sport A/S Plus ZP is the Michelin Ultra High Performance All-Season Run Flat. Not sure they make them in the right size for the GT though.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

For your consideration....it's more about stopping and turning than the convenience of getting moving which is all any AWD system really does.

https://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/20/...was-yesterday/

I took my Michelin Pilot Sport AS+ off to install snow tires for Michigan winters. But, wanting to preserve the car, added a winter car (Subaru) instead and that runs on snow tires. Until the new few tires called "All Weather" offer more sizes, there aren't "All Season" tires with close to the stopping/turning capability of studless winter tires. Continental DWS06 comes closest, and they are only for "light" snow conditions.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

True that AS don't have the control and stopping power of winters, but temper that with what you can expect for road conditions. If you're in an area where people know how to handle snow, and the roads are well kept, AS may be all you need. I'd sooner use AS in Buffalo than in Dallas. I use AS in New Hampshire, the five or six days a year when they're not up to the task I stay home. A blizzard is God's way of telling you to take the day off.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
True that AS don't have the control and stopping power of winters, but temper that with what you can expect for road conditions. If you're in an area where people know how to handle snow, and the roads are well kept, AS may be all you need. I'd sooner use AS in Buffalo than in Dallas. I use AS in New Hampshire, the five or six days a year when they're not up to the task I stay home. A blizzard is God's way of telling you to take the day off.
LOL...our HR department keeps a less "divine" schedule of our office hours! I understand your point, as one who has circled Lake Erie, living in Buffalo, Cleveland, and Detroit over the decades (yes, all national "garden spots"!). All Season tires can certainly get a vehicle moving, but even the most seasoned drivers, exercising full caution, may find themselves facing the unexpected obstacle sliding/bouncing/careening into in their path one winter, and that is when winter tires can save life, limb, or property. All Seasons truly are relatively ineffective for those braking/turning situations on snow/ice. Plows rarely expose bare concrete and even residual snow gets packed down to ice with traffic. But, this comes down to personal assessment of how to manage risk. I may be on the more cautious side.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Crashnbrn5
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 335i GT M-Sport

All season tires SUCK in the winter, I have 2 sets for TOTAL control. Summer tires like you have same size and brand, and Winter tires, square set up, 245/45/19 all around. If you dont have the room, then get the best A/S money can buy. the COnti DWS06 are very good. Good luck with her
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 11:41 AM   #8
North Shore Trader
Canada
Rep

Well...
After some research it became obvious that there aren't really any All Season Run flats for my Sporline wheels.
So I reluctantly picked up some new rims and winter tires.
I know it's for the best!!! 😉
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore Trader View Post
Well...
After some research it became obvious that there aren't really any All Season Run flats for my Sporline wheels.
So I reluctantly picked up some new rims and winter tires.
I know it's for the best!!! ��
Hope you got the "studless" category (e.g. Blizzak WS80, Michelin XIce xi3 or comparable) and not so-called "performance" winters (e.g., Blizzak LM or Michelin Alpin), which are only a half-step to capability. Some tire dealers see a BMW roll in and assume you're mostly interested in driving at 10/10ths all the time, with less regard for the conditions.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-21-2018 at 12:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 07:34 PM   #10
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

If I did bother with winters they'd be studded. Snows don't do diddly on ice without them.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 10:21 AM   #11
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Neither of these videos uses studded winter tires...only studless vs. all season. The benefit of studless vs all season on ice clearly exceeds "diddly". Studs are even more helpful, but not legal in many places due to damage done to the road surface.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #12
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Winter tires are better on ice because the rubber compound doesn't stiffen as much, but better is a relative term. If you're going to have a problem with steering and stopping in winter it's probably going to be on ice, so if you're going to have winters they might as well be studded. Studs tend to be legal only from November to April, but if you have winter tires you wouldn't be using them from May to October anyway.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Winter tires are better on ice because the rubber compound doesn't stiffen as much, but better is a relative term. If you're going to have a problem with steering and stopping in winter it's probably going to be on ice, so if you're going to have winters they might as well be studded. Studs tend to be legal only from November to April, but if you have winter tires you wouldn't be using them from May to October anyway.
Yes, no doubt as to the functional benefit of studs, but we can't let "perfect be the enemy of good". It would not be rational so give up winter tires just due to not having studs. Studless already provide quite an incremental benefit, as shown, over "all season" tires.

In any event, our OP likely would run into this restriction in southern Ontario, perhaps unlike New Hampshire.

https://tirecraft.com/resource/can-u...-tires-canada/

My home state prohibits studs always. Yours allows them always. We can each only do the best we can.

https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/...d-winter-tires
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 01:49 PM   #14
Lazarus.Bird
Enlisted Member
Rep

Just finishing up my first winter with my '15 GT here in Pittsburgh. My Michelin AS worked just fine. I slid a bit going down an ice packed hill once, but not too bad. Just have to drive smart. If you want to fly around in the winter sure, winter tires are best. But I'm pretty happy with my decision to go with AS tires.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
North Shore Trader
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus.Bird View Post
Just finishing up my first winter with my '15 GT here in Pittsburgh. My Michelin AS worked just fine. I slid a bit going down an ice packed hill once, but not too bad. Just have to drive smart. If you want to fly around in the winter sure, winter tires are best. But I'm pretty happy with my decision to go with AS tires.
Quote:
I'm assuming ur AS tires are runflats?
The issue I had was that no one makes AS runflats for the 19" rims on my Sportsline package.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 02:49 PM   #16
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Potholes and low profile tires are a bad combination. Where I live the potholes last long enough to get named, and knowing I was going to use AS I went with 17" rims. I recommend that size for winters, for that reason. I'd only use larger than 18" with summers that will never see a pothole, or New York City streets.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #17
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
If you assess by getting the car going, you may get by. This is not about "flying around", but being capable for stop/turn when the unexpected happens/slides into your path. The science is clear that with/without winter tires will produce different outcomes. I wish you continued good fortune not to ever be in that unplanned situation.

Quote:
Potholes and low profile tires are a bad combination. Where I live the potholes last long enough to get named, and knowing I was going to use AS I went with 17" rims. I recommend that size for winters, for that reason. I'd only use larger than 18" with summers that will never see a pothole, or New York City streets.
Agree completely. I actually switched from OE 18 to 17's for UHPAS tires on my 2 Series due to the Michigan moonscape roads. Not only 17", but as narrow a fitment as compatible for winter tires.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-22-2018 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #18
Lazarus.Bird
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
My main reason for going with some APEX 18" wheels and selling off my 19" OEM wheels. Potholes galore here in Pittsburgh.
Appreciate 0