F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 M Sport Brakes -- Pads and Rotors?
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
reyoasian
Private First Class
Canada
69
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 340xi MPPSK
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

F30 M Sport Brakes -- Pads and Rotors?

Looking for options on brake pads and rotors for a F30 with M Sport brakes.

These will be duo-purpose for daily and track.

Been looking around and there doesn't seem to be many options available for this platform:

Pads
- OEM TRW
- OEM M3
- Hawk 5.0 (are these available for this platform?)

Rotors
- OEM Zimmerman
- Centric 125 series flat
- Centric 126 series slotted

Anyone run these options or have other recommendations? Not looking for dedicated-track-pads.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 04:29 PM   #2
FaRKle!
Colonel
United_States
1616
Rep
2,093
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

I've heard EBC Yellows are a decent dual-purpose street/track pad. I don't have any experience with them since I run dedicated street/track pads (EBC Red/Pagid RS29).

For rotors there's also the OEM Hella/Pagid ones.
-355120771, 370x30mm, two-piece, dimpled & slotted, 26lbs
-355120781, 345x24mm, two-piece, dimpled & slotted, 19.2lbs
-355120831, 370x30mm, two-piece, blank, 26lbs
-355120851, 345x24mm, two-piece, blank, 19.2lbs

For me, I bought a set of Stoptech ARK fronts (PNs: 129.34144.13, 129.34144.14, 24lbs each) and Hella/Pagid M-Performance (dimpled/slotted) rears.

Aside from the Hella/Pagid, Stoptech ARK, and ECS Tuning ones, I don't know of any others that are two-piece. The Zimmermanns look like one piece based upon the pics on ECS.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 03-12-2018 at 04:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #3
Genieman
First Lieutenant
206
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I've heard EBC Yellows are a decent dual-purpose street/track pad. I don't have any experience with them since I run dedicated street/track pads (EBC Red/Pagid RS29).

For rotors there's also the OEM Hella/Pagid ones.
-355120771, 370x30mm, two-piece, dimpled & slotted, 26lbs
-355120781, 345x24mm, two-piece, dimpled & slotted, 19.2lbs
-355120831, 370x30mm, two-piece, blank, 26lbs
-355120851, 345x24mm, two-piece, blank, 19.2lbs

For me, I bought a set of Stoptech ARK fronts (PNs: 129.34144.13, 129.34144.14, 24lbs each) and Hella/Pagid M-Performance (dimpled/slotted) rears.

Aside from the Hella/Pagid, Stoptech ARK, and ECS Tuning ones, I don't know of any others that are two-piece. The Zimmermanns look like one piece based upon the pics on ECS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I've heard EBC Yellows are a decent dual-purpose street/track pad. I don't have any experience with them since I run dedicated street/track pads (EBC Red/Pagid RS29).

For rotors there's also the OEM Hella/Pagid ones.
-355120771, 370x30mm, two-piece, dimpled & slotted, 26lbs
-355120781, 345x24mm, two-piece, dimpled & slotted, 19.2lbs
-355120831, 370x30mm, two-piece, blank, 26lbs
-355120851, 345x24mm, two-piece, blank, 19.2lbs

For me, I bought a set of Stoptech ARK fronts (PNs: 129.34144.13, 129.34144.14, 24lbs each) and Hella/Pagid M-Performance (dimpled/slotted) rears.

Aside from the Hella/Pagid, Stoptech ARK, and ECS Tuning ones, I don't know of any others that are two-piece. The Zimmermanns look like one piece based upon the pics on ECS.
I checked the hella pagid website and even though the website lists them as 2-piece they don't look like 2 piece maybe they show the wrong picture :
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #4
reyoasian
Private First Class
Canada
69
Rep
125
Posts

Drives: 340xi MPPSK
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I've heard EBC Yellows are a decent dual-purpose street/track pad. I don't have any experience with them since I run dedicated street/track pads (EBC Red/Pagid RS29).

For rotors there's also the OEM Hella/Pagid ones.
-355120771, 370x30mm, two-piece, dimpled & slotted, 26lbs
-355120781, 345x24mm, two-piece, dimpled & slotted, 19.2lbs
-355120831, 370x30mm, two-piece, blank, 26lbs
-355120851, 345x24mm, two-piece, blank, 19.2lbs

For me, I bought a set of Stoptech ARK fronts (PNs: 129.34144.13, 129.34144.14, 24lbs each) and Hella/Pagid M-Performance (dimpled/slotted) rears.

Aside from the Hella/Pagid, Stoptech ARK, and ECS Tuning ones, I don't know of any others that are two-piece. The Zimmermanns look like one piece based upon the pics on ECS.
Thanks, I've had EBC Yellow on my previous car and did not like them at all. I did find the OEM 2-piece Zimmerman but they cost significantly higher. I did find the OEM M Performance slotted/dimpled ones as well for the front which cost less than the 2-piece Zimmerman. Needless to say, 2-piece is not my priority, I'm totally okay with 1-piece. Will check the other ones you mentioned, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
FaRKle!
Colonel
United_States
1616
Rep
2,093
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
I checked the hella pagid website and even though the website lists them as 2-piece they don't look like 2 piece maybe they show the wrong picture :
I own the Hella/Pagid dimple/slotted rears. They're 2-piece. Brake manufacturers are notorious for having bad photos (just look at Centric/Powerstop's site!), but the written description, although sometimes difficult to decipher, has never proven me wrong.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:10 AM   #6
Genieman
First Lieutenant
206
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
I own the Hella/Pagid dimple/slotted rears. They're 2-piece. Brake manufacturers are notorious for having bad photos (just look at Centric/Powerstop's site!), but the written description, although sometimes difficult to decipher, has never proven me wrong.
just out of curiosity... i looked at the pics again and I can see now that it does look like 2-piece but slightly different than the usual brake kit 2-piece rotors. Those usually have a light weight aluminum hat that is attached to the rotor with some bolts... the design of these 2-piece ones, similar to the zimmerman 2 piece rotors don't look like that. do they have light weight hats as well? is there a material weight savings to these?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #7
FaRKle!
Colonel
United_States
1616
Rep
2,093
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
just out of curiosity... i looked at the pics again and I can see now that it does look like 2-piece but slightly different than the usual brake kit 2-piece rotors. Those usually have a light weight aluminum hat that is attached to the rotor with some bolts... the design of these 2-piece ones, similar to the zimmerman 2 piece rotors don't look like that. do they have light weight hats as well? is there a material weight savings to these?
Are you talking about looking at pics of the hella/pagid rotors? If so, they have the aluminum hat with rivets along the sides to attach to the iron rotor just like the OE BMW rotors.

Does the Zimmermann description say they're 2-piece? If it doesn't, and you don't see bolts or rivets holding the hat to the rotor, I don't think they're actually 2-piece.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
Genieman
First Lieutenant
206
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Are you talking about looking at pics of the hella/pagid rotors? If so, they have the aluminum hat with rivets along the sides to attach to the iron rotor just like the OE BMW rotors.

Does the Zimmermann description say they're 2-piece? If it doesn't, and you don't see bolts or rivets holding the hat to the rotor, I don't think they're actually 2-piece.
yea after looking at the pics of the hella pagid ones i could see the rivets vs the 1-piece versions.

zimmerman says 2 piece but i cant link the catalog directly because it's in a frame with no link but if you go to this link and put in car info there are 2-piece rotors available, not sure if they are available globally...

http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/en/katalog.html
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #9
FaRKle!
Colonel
United_States
1616
Rep
2,093
Posts

Drives: '17 328d Sport Wagon
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
yea after looking at the pics of the hella pagid ones i could see the rivets vs the 1-piece versions.

zimmerman says 2 piece but i cant link the catalog directly because it's in a frame with no link but if you go to this link and put in car info there are 2-piece rotors available, not sure if they are available globally...

http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/en/katalog.html
I see what you're saying about the Zimmermann catalog.
PNs:
-150.2911.32 M-Sport (blank) 2-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2905.32 slotted 2-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2911.20 1-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2905.20 1-piece slotted 370mm front rotor.

-150.2919.32 M-Sport (blank) 2-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2920.32 slotted/perforated 2-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2919.20 1-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2920.20 1-piece slotted/perforated 345mm rear rotor.

It's interesting for the front rotors the description only say slotted and not slotted/perforated like the rears. The drawings clearly show the rivets between the 1-piece and 2-piece versions.

Maybe I read your question a few posts back wrong. Even though the Hella/pagid and Zimmermann 2-piece attachment style doesn't look like the aftermarket ones (like Stoptech ARK), the hat does look to be a lighter material (like aluminum). I'll double check with a magnet when I get home later.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #10
Genieman
First Lieutenant
206
Rep
346
Posts

Drives: yes please
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
yea after looking at the pics of the hella pagid ones i could see the rivets vs the 1-piece versions.

zimmerman says 2 piece but i cant link the catalog directly because it's in a frame with no link but if you go to this link and put in car info there are 2-piece rotors available, not sure if they are available globally...

http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/en/katalog.html
I see what you're saying about the Zimmermann catalog.
PNs:
-150.2911.32 M-Sport (blank) 2-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2905.32 slotted 2-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2911.20 1-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2905.20 1-piece slotted 370mm front rotor.

-150.2919.32 M-Sport (blank) 2-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2920.32 slotted/perforated 2-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2919.20 1-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2920.20 1-piece slotted/perforated 345mm rear rotor.

It's interesting for the front rotors the description only say slotted and not slotted/perforated like the rears. The drawings clearly show the rivets between the 1-piece and 2-piece versions.

Maybe I read your question a few posts back wrong. Even though the Hella/pagid and Zimmermann 2-piece attachment style doesn't look like the aftermarket ones (like Stoptech ARK), the hat does look to be a lighter material (like aluminum). I'll double check with a magnet when I get home later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genieman View Post
yea after looking at the pics of the hella pagid ones i could see the rivets vs the 1-piece versions.

zimmerman says 2 piece but i cant link the catalog directly because it's in a frame with no link but if you go to this link and put in car info there are 2-piece rotors available, not sure if they are available globally...

http://www.otto-zimmermann.de/en/katalog.html
I see what you're saying about the Zimmermann catalog.
PNs:
-150.2911.32 M-Sport (blank) 2-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2905.32 slotted 2-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2911.20 1-piece 370mm front rotor.
-150.2905.20 1-piece slotted 370mm front rotor.

-150.2919.32 M-Sport (blank) 2-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2920.32 slotted/perforated 2-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2919.20 1-piece 345mm rear rotor.
-150.2920.20 1-piece slotted/perforated 345mm rear rotor.

It's interesting for the front rotors the description only say slotted and not slotted/perforated like the rears. The drawings clearly show the rivets between the 1-piece and 2-piece versions.

Maybe I read your question a few posts back wrong. Even though the Hella/pagid and Zimmermann 2-piece attachment style doesn't look like the aftermarket ones (like Stoptech ARK), the hat does look to be a lighter material (like aluminum). I'll double check with a magnet when I get home later.
There is also this place:

http://www.racingbrake.com/Two-piece...S40-p/2158.htm

It's an e90 2piece and it's 348x30 but its lighter than the ecs 340x30. I wonder if they were to make a proper 340x30 if it would be even lighter than 19.3lbs and if so and if they were to make a 370x30 then it should be lighter than 24lbs. I exchanged emails with them but they said they were reluctant to make the 340x30 2-piece but might make a 370
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST