F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Active Autowerks Simon 3 Flash Tunes Review
GetBMWParts

04-06-2018, 06:58 AM   #1
valetudo81
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i F30 N20

Active Autowerks Simon 3 Flash Tunes Review

So I recently purchased the Active Autowerks Simon 3 tune package. Considering I didn't see any good information on it in the way of reviews I thought I would start one.

When I received the cable it was packaged well to avoid any damage. It came in a box with a lid. Inside that box was a velvet type material jewelry pouch with a drawstring at the top. Inside of that was the USB cable and the adapter which plugs into the OBD port. This piece seems like it was made very cheap. Having said that I would be extremely careful when plugging it in and disconnecting it.

Once I had everything together I downloaded the Simon 3 software to my computer. After downloading I tried following the instructions for downloading my ECU file. I had zero success with this. I called and spoke with the tech team who told me that there was a different software version that I needed. They emailed me a copy of the download for iBMW.

After that was setup I was able to successfully download my ECU file and send it to AA.

Once the flash was downloaded to my vehicle I was of course excited to take it for a test drive. I decided to drive it around until the engine temperature was up before doing any pulls. While driving around waiting on this to happen I threw a CEL. I also had numerous service vehicle soon lights and warnings come up. I turned around and headed home to trouble shoot the problem. I hooked the software back up to the car and went to the diagnostic screen to find that my vehicle had thrown 13 codes. I went back over the download process to see if I had missed something and didn't. I erased the codes using the software and returned the stock file to the vehicle and started over. Once I was done with the process the same exact thing happened. After about 5 miles of driving I threw the same 13 codes.

I was very excited to see how the car would drive with the tune and I have really yet to do that. Upsetting considering that with the same set up I have now the BMS Stage 1 tuner was awesome with my mods and didn't throw and CEL's.

If I ever get this problem fixed I will let update this review. So far this morning I have emailed them yet again to ask what we can do to fix this issue.

Last edited by valetudo81; 04-06-2018 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by valetudo81 View Post
So I recently purchased the Active Autowerks Simon 3 tune package. Considering I didn't see any good information on it in the way of reviews I thought I would start one.

When I received the cable it was packaged well to avoid any damage. It came in a box with a lid. Inside that box was a velvet type material jewelry pouch with a drawstring at the top. Inside of that was the USB cable and the adapter which plugs into the OBD port. This piece seems like it was made very cheap. Having said that I would be extremely careful when plugging it in and disconnecting it.

Once I had everything together I downloaded the Simon 3 software to my computer. After downloading I tried following the instructions for downloading my ECU file. I had zero success with this. I called and spoke with the tech team who told me that there was a different software version that I needed. They emailed me a copy of the download for iBMW.

After that was setup I was able to successfully download my ECU file and send it to AA. The turn around time in my opinion was slow. It took a day and a half to get my flash tune emailed to me.

Once the flash was downloaded to my vehicle I was of course excited to take it for a test drive. I decided to drive it around until the engine temperature was up before doing any pulls. While driving around waiting on this to happen I threw a CEL. I also had numerous service vehicle soon lights and warnings come up. I turned around and headed home to trouble shoot the problem. I hooked the software back up to the car and went to the diagnostic screen to find that my vehicle had thrown 13 codes. I went back over the download process to see if I had missed something and didn't. I erased the codes using the software and returned the stock file to the vehicle and started over. Once I was done with the process the same exact thing happened. After about 5 miles of driving I threw the same 13 codes.

Obviously frustrated at this point I emailed the technical support team at AA. Over a days time I received 2 responses both questioning if I did it correctly. After stating in numerous emails that I had followed all of the information to a T, I received zero response on how to fix the issue.

I was very excited to see how the car would drive with the tune and I have really yet to do that. Upsetting considering that with the same set up I have now the BMS Stage 1 tuner was awesome with my mods and didn't throw and CEL's.

If I ever get this problem fixed I will let update this review. So far this morning I have emailed them yet again to ask what we can do to fix this issue.
That's really unfortunate to hear. In terms of the timelines, that's average I would say. While it's not required for BM3 in most cases, as they collect software versions so not everyone has to wait, unless you're the first with that version. Even then, about a day as well. As for response time, just be patient. Remote tuning is a blessing and a curse. Don't forget how many people they're working with on these tunes and they could just be swamped. The process of creating a tune is no joke!

That being said, I hope it gets resolved and it works. If not, you can come to BM3.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #3
Domotron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328xi M-Sport

good read man thanks for the review i hope you get everything squared away soon and start enjoying gains
      04-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #4
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

034 motorsports took a week to get my cousin the map for his rs6, so I would be happy with the timeframe you've been working with . otherwise unfortunate to hear, hopefully you get her up and running with the new tune soon!
Instagram: rjd_f30 | 2013 328i xDrive N20 8AT | BM3 Stage 2 93 | BM3 8AT flash | VRSF 5" FMIC | VRSF Catless DP | aFe Momentum Intake | 2.5" custom exhaust cutout | M Perf. Exhaust | NGK L/I Plugs | Dinan 20" Wheels w/ Michelin PS4S's | Dinan Springs and Bumpstops | CF Ducktail Spoiler | Debadged | F80 Style Grille | M Sport Front Bumper | USR DEPO Headlights | Carbonsteer LED Steering Wheel | Various Interior Bits |
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #5
grimlock525
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i

OP, thanks for sharing your experience, and sorry to hear that it did not go as smoothly as expected. My next major mod will most likely be a Stage 1 ECU flash, so I'm very interested to see how this plays out, as I'm trying to decide between the AA vs BM3 flash. Hopefully, the issue you are seeing is something related to your specific setup, and not some sort of inherent issue with the AA map. Please keep up us updated with the communication from AA, and I hope you get everything sorted out .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 02:09 PM   #6
valetudo81
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i F30 N20

Ok. So far AA has been very helpful. Nick at AA has been working on fixing the bugs. Some of it might have been some of my doing during the download so I will not put full blame in them. I will keep everyone updated.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #7
nemobanks
Nemo banks
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW F30 328i

I threw a code as well with the tune .
FBO N20, G-Plus Oil Cooler , Injen Cold Air Intake, MST turbo inlet, AFE Charge Pipe, BMS Oil Catch Can, Forged Motorsport Blow of Vavle, Wanger FMIC, Circuit Werkes Catless Downpipe, Full Straight 3inch exhuast. Stage 2 Active Auto Werke.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #8
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

bootmod3.

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit
Appreciate 1
Diegov209146.50

04-07-2018, 12:03 PM   #9
nemobanks
Nemo banks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
bootmod3.
It wasn't anything tune related though. Haven't had an issues yet. I want to upgrade my fuel pump and run some e85 but seems like it isn't the smartest thing to do from what Andrew told me from Active.
FBO N20, G-Plus Oil Cooler , Injen Cold Air Intake, MST turbo inlet, AFE Charge Pipe, BMS Oil Catch Can, Forged Motorsport Blow of Vavle, Wanger FMIC, Circuit Werkes Catless Downpipe, Full Straight 3inch exhuast. Stage 2 Active Auto Werke.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 09:46 PM   #10
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemobanks View Post
It wasn't anything tune related though. Haven't had an issues yet. I want to upgrade my fuel pump and run some e85 but seems like it isn't the smartest thing to do from what Andrew told me from Active.
No, I know. I only tease.

And why not? Do they not plan to make an E30 map?

Appreciate 1
      04-14-2018, 06:30 PM   #11
nemobanks
Nemo banks
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
No, I know. I only tease.

And why not? Do they not plan to make an E30 map?
Nope , and i want to shoot flames.

Last edited by nemobanks; 04-15-2018 at 03:43 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2018, 12:23 AM   #12
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemobanks View Post
Nope , and i want to shot flames.
Did he explain why they won't?
Appreciate 0