F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan Cold Air Intake
Extreme Powerhouse

04-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #23
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
my injen has never had an engine light
Most Injen customers do not have any issues

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
n55david1295.50
      08-04-2020, 04:21 PM   #24
BURBLEBUTT
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Most Injen customers do not have any issues
DO you have the DINAN intake in stock? whats the total shipped to Ca and would I be able to get the 3 points toward the badge if I order through you instead of DINAN direct?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 04:29 PM   #25
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURBLEBUTT View Post
DO you have the DINAN intake in stock? whats the total shipped to Ca and would I be able to get the 3 points toward the badge if I order through you instead of DINAN direct?
I would not recommend the dinan intake. Testing we did with various inlets, intake, and airbox combinations showed that it was affecting MAF readings and compared to stock intake with MPPK airbox bottom and a dry drop in filter, driveability and throttle response was worse.

Your money will be better spend on a inlet - i recommend MST v2. Read this thread, mostly starting in page 6. I provided lots of detailed posts.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1656337&page=6

This one specifically talks about the dinan. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=140
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 07:03 PM   #26
BURBLEBUTT
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I would not recommend the dinan intake. Testing we did with various inlets, intake, and airbox combinations showed that it was affecting MAF readings and compared to stock intake with MPPK airbox bottom and a dry drop in filter, driveability and throttle response was worse.

Your money will be better spend on a inlet - i recommend MST v2. Read this thread, mostly starting in page 6. I provided lots of detailed posts.

This one specifically talks about the dinan. https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=140
Where would I find the mppk airbox bottom. I have been looking for one
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #27
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BURBLEBUTT View Post
Where would I find the mppk airbox bottom. I have been looking for one
The MPPK airbox bottom is available new, but IMO its overpriced when you can easily modify yours. I documented my mods here with photos:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...&postcount=173

You can also just drill holes, but that's kindof ghetto. Mine mimics the shape and size of the actual MPPK opening, and includes modification of the snow flap so its doesnt obstruct airflow.

Here's the real one. It just adds a opening and deletes the snow flap.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...x/11122334344/
Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #28
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:

I have to second this recommendation. I spent almost two months troubleshooting issues with my STFT after installing an IC and CP only to find out it was the Dinan intake I had installed a year ago (was not using BM3 or logging at that time). I can confirm that I never saw a CEL, but once I started datalogging, I saw trims greater than +/-20% (now I only see ~5-6%).

Here is a comparison plot of the MAF between a couple different configurations. During a 3rd gear pull, the MAF reads low by ~10-22% (yellow line relative to light blue, green, gray) essentially matching the stock airflow despite being the same BM3 stage 0+ (M2) tune. This data is from my 235i with VRSF CP + IC and Pureturbo inlet.

I have to admit this was not a perfectly controlled experiment. I miss the sound of the Dinan intake a little, but the stock intake has been way more reliable for tuning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #29
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalderks View Post
I have to second this recommendation. I spent almost two months troubleshooting issues with my STFT after installing an IC and CP only to find out it was the Dinan intake I had installed a year ago (was not using BM3 or logging at that time). I can confirm that I never saw a CEL, but once I started datalogging, I saw trims greater than +/-20% (now I only see ~5-6%).

Here is a comparison plot of the MAF between a couple different configurations. During a 3rd gear pull, the MAF reads low by ~10-22% (yellow line relative to light blue, green, gray) essentially matching the stock airflow despite being the same BM3 stage 0+ (M2) tune. This data is from my 235i with VRSF CP + IC and Pureturbo inlet.

I have to admit this was not a perfectly controlled experiment. I miss the sound of the Dinan intake a little, but the stock intake has been way more reliable for tuning.
Nice data. It's consistent with every other log i have seen with the Dinan; low and somewhat erratic (not smooth) MAF readings.

I would also say that it's not just the dinan, almost all intakes affect the MAF readings, likely because of the size and shape of the section where the MAF is located. I need to see some logs with the CTS turbo one, because they specifically mimic the size and shape of the stock one for this reason.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #30
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Nice data. It's consistent with every other log i have seen with the Dinan; low and somewhat erratic (not smooth) MAF readings.

I would also say that it's not just the dinan, almost all intakes affect the MAF readings, likely because of the size and shape of the section where the MAF is located. I need to see some logs with the CTS turbo one, because they specifically mimic the size and shape of the stock one for this reason.
AFE?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:10 PM   #31
dalderks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:

That's a good point. I'm probably not going to throw any more money at it, but I would love to know if the CTS one works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
AFE?
It's the aFe Pro Dry S drop-in filter. Lots of people on this forum seem to have them and love them. My stock filter was the original, so I needed something after removing the Dinan intake.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #32
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalderks View Post
That's a good point. I'm probably not going to throw any more money at it, but I would love to know if the CTS one works out.

It's the aFe Pro Dry S drop-in filter. Lots of people on this forum seem to have them and love them. My stock filter was the original, so I needed something after removing the Dinan intake.
Oh, I meant the AFE closed box. But I’m interested in the CTS intake readings as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #33
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Oh, I meant the AFE closed box. But I’m interested in the CTS intake readings as well.
I dont think the AFE closed box mimics the stock MAF housing shape, right? It's just the MAF in a circular tube like the Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 09:28 PM   #34
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Interesting graph . wondering about the CTS myself
      08-18-2020, 01:28 PM   #35
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I dont think the AFE closed box mimics the stock MAF housing shape, right? It's just the MAF in a circular tube like the Dinan?
https://afepower.com/afe-power-54-82...-intake-system

Looks like you're right. Might be time to change to the stock box and test.