BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #1
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Ambient lighting: this doesn’t seem right

So I had my first night time 4 hour trip this evening. I noticed the ambient lighting on the passenger door has these funky hot spots and inconsistency to the solid line on the door panel. The other doors are consistent and smoothly lit. My previous car was also perfectly smooth and consistent. I think this part may be defective. Anyone else see what I’m talking about or have seen this before?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:25 AM   #2
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
So I had my first night time 4 hour trip this evening. I noticed the ambient lighting on the passenger door has these funky hot spots and inconsistency to the solid line on the door panel. The other doors are consistent and smoothly lit. My previous car was also perfectly smooth and consistent. I think this part may be defective. Anyone else see what I’m talking about or have seen this before?
Yeah, definitely get that looked at.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:15 AM   #3
Loderunner
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 M Sport

Yup, it looks defective.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Mine are all uniform. Looks like there may be a problem with the door light circuit.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 02:04 AM   #5
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
If you hadn't said it was only one door, I'd have thought maybe just the way the camera picks up the individual LEDs at max brightness. But as other said, if it's different to the rest, and given normally we see it as smooth, then its a defect of some type that needs fixed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by natd View Post
If you hadn't said it was only one door, I'd have thought maybe just the way the camera picks up the individual LEDs at max brightness. But as other said, if it's different to the rest, and given normally we see it as smooth, then its a defect of some type that needs fixed.
Yeah. It is noticeable to the naked eye as well. I’m going to schedule it for service for this problem and to log the issue with the lane departure alert vibration issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:06 AM   #7
iManu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3M40i

Mine did theirs on the passenger side. Bmw will replace the optical unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuel.yoo View Post
Mine did theirs on the passenger side. Bmw will replace the optical unit.
Mine is on the passenger side as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 11:20 PM   #9
KSag
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340ix, 2020 X5 X40i

Mine started like that at first and then stopped lighting up all together. I finally had to get them to redo the entire left side of the vehicle. I have only had my X3 since March 12th.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
mattesonb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40I

I have found that my front doors arent uniform either. Looks like in addition to a random rattle I need them to look at this.
Attached Images

Last edited by mattesonb; 05-17-2018 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

And now in the last few days my driver side door is doing the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:33 AM   #12
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

So the dealer agrees these hot spots are not normal and ordered the parts to replace the driver and passenger front ambient lights. Unfortunately the parts are on back order because apparently a lot of these are being replaced. They said it would be about a month before they get the parts.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #13
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX3DRIVER View Post
Wow, you guys all met very honest dealers.
My dealer said 'you had your windows tinted, that process likely touched & cracked the optical part of the unit. this is not covered by warranty'.
I watched the entire tinting process, they pulled out the rubber from the top, that was it. The rubber seal was not even close to the lighting part, we couldn't even see it.

Since this is a lease, I will not spend a penny on this - it's somewhat annoying, but i can live with it no problem.
You need to press the dealer on this or find another dealer to take your car. I had my windows tinted as well and nothing was mentioned. As a matter of fact, my last vehicle was tinted and had ambient lighting and never had an issue. Also my tint was applied through the dealer so I wouldn’t accept that answer. I’m sorry they treated you that way.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #14
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattesonb View Post
I have found that my front doors arent uniform either. Looks like in addition to a random rattle I need them to look at this.
mattesonb
Amazing that this is exactly how it shows on my car. The same pattern and the same spots. They are towards the front side on the driver's door, and the hot spots are somewhat equal distance on the passenger's door.
It looks like the optical units have maybe joints on those spots that are prone to crack.

You guys all met very honest dealers.
My dealer said 'you had your windows tinted, that process likely touched & cracked the optical part of the unit. this is not covered by warranty'.
I watched the entire tinting process, they pulled out the rubber from the top, that was it. The rubber seal was not even close to the lighting part, we couldn't even see it. No sharp tool inside the door panel, and no attachment from the rubber seal.

Since this is a lease, I will not spend a penny on this - it's somewhat annoying, but i can live with it no problem.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #15
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
mattesonb
Amazing that this is exactly how it shows on my car. The same pattern and the same spots. They are towards the front side on the driver's door, and the hot spots are somewhat equal distance on the passenger's door.
It looks like the optical units have maybe joints on those spots that are prone to crack.

You guys all met very honest dealers.
I watched the entire tinting process, they pulled out the rubber from the top, that was it. The rubber seal was not even close to the lighting part, we couldn't even see it. No sharp tool inside the door panel, and no attachment from the rubber seal.

I haven't had an issue but I always have my dealer install the tint on my cars and they are responsible for everything related at that point. I guess not all dealers offer in house tint so that may not be an option for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #16
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You need to press the dealer on this or find another dealer to take your car. I had my windows tinted as well and nothing was mentioned. As a matter of fact, my last vehicle was tinted and had ambient lighting and never had an issue. Also my tint was applied through the dealer so I wouldn’t accept that answer. I’m sorry they treated you that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
I haven't had an issue but I always have my dealer install the tint on my cars and they are responsible for everything related at that point. I guess not all dealers offer in house tint so that may not be an option for everyone.
That's the thing - Dealer's offer for tint was rip-off price (more than 2.5x than a reputable tint shop in my town), so I had the tint done at the other shop that's been in business for 15+ years and have 4.5+ reviews, and I've done tints myself twice in the past there.
They said they've done tints on many G01 X3s and as I watched, taking out the parts is really easier than a piece of cake, it's cutting & applying the film that requires the professional work.
They also offered that they would remove the tint free of charge if I decide to go to another dealer.
I may try another dealer next time, but TBH it's not a big annoyance anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:23 AM   #17
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
That's the thing - Dealer's offer for tint was rip-off price (more than 2.5x than a reputable tint shop in my town), so I had the tint done at the other shop that's been in business for 15+ years and have 4.5+ reviews, and I've done tints myself twice in the past.

I may try another dealer next time, but TBH it's not a big annoyance anyway.
That is a rip-off. My dealer is way less expensive than tint shops, it is a customer care thing for them not a revenue stream.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #18
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post
That is a rip-off. My dealer is way less expensive than tint shops, it is a customer care thing for them not a revenue stream.
Exactly.
I can live with this. If it gets more annoying (e.g. the hot spots become much more visible/noticeable due to maybe more crack inside), I will definitely ask them to remove the tint and go to another dealer.
Right now, it's not worth all the hassle.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 09:34 AM   #19
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly.
I can live with this. If it gets more annoying (e.g. the hot spots become much more visible/noticeable due to maybe more crack inside), I will definitely ask them to remove the tint and go to another dealer.
Right now, it's not worth all the hassle.
Before you have the tint removed, Is going to another bmw service center an option for you? If not, I really think that if you pushed back and noted to the service manger that the parts are on back order because of failures, they may reconsider their stance on the issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #20
BMWX3DRIVER
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Before you have the tint removed, Is going to another bmw service center an option for you? If not, I really think that if you pushed back and noted to the service manger that the parts are on back order because of failures, they may reconsider their stance on the issue.
I will probably go to this dealer again for the recall (part is on backorder, they will probably call me at around end of June to update status or book an appointment). I can try pushing back, and also provide this thread to them.
Back then (early April) I searched everywhere online and no one ever reported this issue, so I thought it was just an isolated one. Now it looks like this is more of a common issue (looking at the patterns and how distributed the spots are, they are exactly the same as mine), they may reconsider.

If they still say no, I will just move to another dealer of around the same distance from my home.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #21
mattesonb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40I

Dealer inspected my doors yesterday and ordered the parts. 3 to 4 weeks to receive the parts from germany...
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #22
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Here's what mine looks like. Car is less than 2 months old.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0