BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-10-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
AutoSalvageMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Help me understand adaptive M

Just picked up my M40I this week. Been playing around with and trying to understand the adaptive function. Never had a BMW with it so help me figure it out.
My vehicle has the exec pack with the fancy digital cluster. When I start it
in the morning its in Comfort mode with no Adaptive on. I push the adaptive button and it pops up on screen and cluster with the adaptive next to the D for drive. If I then push the Sport button, the cluster changes and the word adaptive disappears. Now if I push adaptive button it then changes cluster back to comfort mode and the adaptive on the screen is gone. Is this correct???
Do you lose adaptive mode when switching to Sport? What am I missing or can someone explain how this works?!?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
MDBimmerGuy
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i Carbon Blk/Oyster

I'm no expert but I'll take a shot. Your car has the M Adaptive suspension (congrats!). It is "adaptive" in all 5 modes the car could be in (Eco Pro, Comfort, Adaptive, Sport, Sport+). "Adaptive" in this sense means that the suspension has adjustable firmness that can be softer or firmer depending on user preference. Now, "Adaptive Drive Mode" in the sense of the button on the car next to the gear selector that says Adaptive is a different DRIVE mode, most people feel it is somewhere between Comfort and Sport based on what I've read here, and yes, I believe the Suspension will adjust the dynamic dampers on the fly in this mode to stiffer/softer based on driving and road conditions (how exactly this works is a bit of a mystery to me, though I believe it mentions that if you are using the car GPS it knows what roads you're going on and sets accordingly). Adaptive drive mode is ONLY available on cars with the M Adaptive (M40i) or Dynamic Damper Control (30i) options. When it says "Adaptive" on the display, you are in adaptive drive mode (so you cannot be in Sport or Comfort as these are different modes).

So, all of that being said, if you're in comfort mode, your adaptive dampers will be set to a softer settting, in Sport they will be firmer, and in Sport+ they will be maximum firmness for handling over ride comfort. In "Adaptive" drive mode the dampers will move between softer and stiffer. But your dampers are adapting (as in changing the stiffness) no matter what to your choice, even if you are not in "Adaptive" mode. So pick your mode and enjoy, and don't worry about whether it says "Adaptive" as if you like the ride in that mode you are taking full advantage of your suspension (unless of course you like adaptive drive mode, which I really do, it's kind of like comfort+, I use it a lot, probably most of the time except shorter drives where I forget to switch out of comfort, or unless I really want to rev up). Does this make any sense?

Last edited by MDBimmerGuy; 05-10-2018 at 10:15 AM..
Appreciate 1
Gudus16.50
      05-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSalvageMan View Post
Just picked up my M40I this week. Been playing around with and trying to understand the adaptive function. Never had a BMW with it so help me figure it out.
My vehicle has the exec pack with the fancy digital cluster. When I start it
in the morning its in Comfort mode with no Adaptive on. I push the adaptive button and it pops up on screen and cluster with the adaptive next to the D for drive. If I then push the Sport button, the cluster changes and the word adaptive disappears. Now if I push adaptive button it then changes cluster back to comfort mode and the adaptive on the screen is gone. Is this correct???
Do you lose adaptive mode when switching to Sport? What am I missing or can someone explain how this works?!?
Thanks
It sounds like maybe you're trying to combine adaptive and sport. It doesn't work that way as far as I know, adaptive is it's own setting where the car basically jumps between variations of sport and comfort behavior based on how you're driving and the road conditions. You can't set it to an "adaptive sport" by choosing one and then the other.

I am confused about one thing though, if you are in sport and hit adaptive, it should not go to comfort mode as you describe, it should go back to adaptive.
Appreciate 1
d00b4.00
      05-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
AutoSalvageMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I do notice when in comfort mode and then push adaptive that the ride is somewhat smoother. I guess the part I don't understand is when in Sport mode and push the adaptive button it changes the cluster back to the comfort cluster.Just kind of confusing to me. I would think the adaptive would show up in every cluster ???? Or Im just totally not understanding how the whole system works.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #5
AutoSalvageMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

thanks, MDBIMMERGUY, after rereading your post it makes more sense to me.
I guess I didnt realize that Adaptive was a mode in and of itself like Comfort, Sport etc. Im guessing that the Comfort cluster is the default cluster for adaptive mode ???
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
MDBimmerGuy
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i Carbon Blk/Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoSalvageMan View Post
thanks, MDBIMMERGUY, after rereading your post it makes more sense to me.
I guess I didnt realize that Adaptive was a mode in and of itself like Comfort, Sport etc. Im guessing that the Comfort cluster is the default cluster for adaptive mode ???
Yes I believe that is correct (and in fact, AFAIK there is no way to change it, I asked the BMW Genuis if there was a way to get the sport cluster in the other drive modes as I prefer the look and he said no, which is kind of annoying given how customizable everything else is in the car, but a pretty minor complaint).
Appreciate 1
greg2step211.50
      05-10-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
AutoSalvageMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I agree with liking the Sport mode cluster the best. Minor complaint as you say but you would think thats something that could have been easily done. Overall though I have been so impressed with this vehicle. Coming from an 2015 S-Class I was a little nervous even after test driving it 4 different times but I have zero regrets!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Above answers are all good, I'd just reiterate to you AutoSalageMan that drive modes aside, even when you are just in 'comfort' mode or 'sport' mode, the dampers are still making small adjustments all the time based on road conditions. So don't feel like you MUST be in adaptive mode to be getting your moneys worth!

That said, I have started putting the car in Adaptive mode in recent days and somehow do feel it's the best of the bunch. I can't quantify it at all (and I've been trying!) and I'm sort of being wary that I'm imagining it!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 09:26 PM   #9
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
MDBimmerGuy & natd are both correct.

I think it's important to remember we are talking two different things when talking about the Adaptive M-Suspension option.

1. Adaptive dampers. These are electronically controlled damper which can adjust the shock & strut absorbers to be either soft or firm within hundredths of a second. They are connected to their own computer controlled network which also includes sensors reading road conditions. These dampers are constantly monitoring road conditions and making adjustments to your ride no matter what 'drive mode' your in.

2 Adaptive Drive mode. This is the 5th (or 7th if you count 'individual' modes) drive mode - eco-pro, comfort, sport, sport+ and adaptive. The Adaptive mode really just shifts between all the previous modes depending on road conditions and current / recent driving behaviour. It will 'sport up' when you start hitting the throttle or soften to luxury when your just cruising. Remember, this doesn't just affect ride, but also steering, and throttle response as well.

Some info from manual + couple videos.

Video 1 (BMW Genius)
Video 2 (some german guy)
Video 3 (newer system, illustrative)
Video 4 (BMW Genius on settings for modes)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      05-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #10
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

One thing I know for sure...on Adaptive it feels comparable to Comfort in terms of soaking up big bumps but feels smoother and more stable overall (less bouncy). The one big thing for me is that, on braking, it doesn't nose dive or rock back and forth as much as Comfort. It is now my preferred Daily setting.
      05-11-2018, 02:01 AM   #11
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
One thing I know for sure...on Adaptive it feels comparable to Comfort in terms of soaking up big bumps but feels smoother and more stable overall (less bouncy). The one big thing for me is that, on braking, it doesn't nose dive or rock back and forth as much as Comfort. It is now my preferred Daily setting.
That might be it! If I hadn't just opened (and drunk) a bottle of wine I'd be jumping in the car to go and test.

This all leads to a new question: Why does the car always start in Comfort? I think you can 'code' it but I was trying to avoid resorting to that.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:33 AM   #12
sinbad4
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by natd View Post
This all leads to a new question: Why does the car always start in Comfort? I think you can 'code' it but I was trying to avoid resorting to that.
Yeah.. coding this change has been problematic. (That is, many people loose 'comfort' mode when this is changed) I'd give a little more time to let community work it out.

Really BMW should have "Default Drive Mode" as an option in the iDrive system. Or at least, default to Adaptive, when the Adaptive M-Suspension option is installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #13
AutoSalvageMan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Totally agree with this! It could be all in my head but I feel a definite difference in the Adaptive mode and it now my preferred setting also
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 06:35 PM   #14
droftrah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3 M40i

Garage List
Since everyone is talking drive modes. I also agree adaptive feels smoother on bumpier roads than comfort.

But what is the difference between sport and sport plus? I know on old cars sport plus enabled dtc and disabled the kickdown throttle button and auto shift at redline when driving in manual, but now dtc is separate and in regular sport mode the kickdown is disabled and the car doesn't shift at redline, just like older sport plus modes. Regular sport seems to now be equivalent to the old sport plus minus dtc. changing between sport and sport plus now seems to do nothing
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2018, 07:29 PM   #15
sinbad4
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by droftrah View Post
But what is the difference between sport and sport plus? I know on old cars sport plus enabled dtc and disabled the kickdown throttle button and auto shift at redline when driving in manual, but now dtc is separate and in regular sport mode the kickdown is disabled and the car doesn't shift at redline, just like older sport plus modes. Regular sport seems to now be equivalent to the old sport plus minus dtc. changing between sport and sport plus now seems to do nothing

Sport+ has more aggressive throttle response, stiffer suspension and more aggressive (higher revving) shift points.

There's also one more mode that I haven't seen talked about much. I think of it as Super Sport+. When in Sport+ mode, move shifter to left "S" mode. S(n) appears in Gauge. Shifting is even more aggressive. In this mode, engine doesn't really want to dip below 3k RPMS. I like it. It really shifts like I do when I'm driving in spirited fashion - except, perhaps, shifts faster than I can. Even more farty on the up and down shifts. ;-)

The "S" mode seems available in all drive modes and makes all drive modes shift more aggressively.

I initially thought, like in numerous other vehicles I've owned, moving gear selector to the left put it in Manual mode. Not in this car. Until you shift up or down, it's still fully automatic.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2018, 04:01 AM   #16
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Sport+ has more aggressive throttle response, stiffer suspension and more aggressive (higher revving) shift points.

There's also one more mode that I haven't seen talked about much. I think of it as Super Sport+. When in Sport+ mode, move shifter to left "S" mode. S(n) appears in Gauge. Shifting is even more aggressive. In this mode, engine doesn't really want to dip below 3k RPMS.
I read the just before getting in the car. Wow...it is a different mode! Revs jumped up as you say etc.

I had to wait a while to get to a wide empty street near my house where I 'gave it some'. I freaked out after a few seconds as it really took off and the revs were way up there, but but the acceleration did something weird, as if things stalled or something wrong.

Lesson: It doesn't work with the Speed Limiter active and set to 60 km/h...

D'UH Totally weird sensation!
Appreciate 0