BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #1
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Wow, just WOW!!!

Just got back from the brand new BMW dealership here in south Austin and test drove the X3 M40i. Amazing car, simply stunning. I test drove an M2 right after it and I'm not getting an M2, I'm most assuredly getting the new X3.

Where to begin. In the summer of 2014, I guess. It was July 21st, exactly one week before my birthday and I was the first to take ownership of an M4 in Austin. It was an amazing car (just check out my garage) and I was very sad to part with it. Later on I decided to go for the M2. I test drove it today for the first time and while I was obviously impressed by the performance it is just too small for me. I'm 6'3". Then I got into the X3 M40i and I loved everything about that car. My five year old son was with me and sitting in the back and very comfy. He's the size of an eight year old by the way but I digress. So after I adjusted the driver's seat I sat in the back seat right behind it and shockingly i fit just fine! It was amazing!! I couldn't believe it! So much room in this car!

Test drive

We slapped onto the frontage road of I35 and I smacked the pedal down (of course). What a feeling. Not only is this car's throttle as responsive as a naturally aspirated one, the roll was minimal, the suspension was super tight. I switched it onto comfort mode to see how that was and it was great. Still kind of sporty but less aggressive. Cornering and braking were what you'd expect from a BMW but even still I was impressed. The interior finish is the only point I would give it that needs a bit of improvement but overall this can be overlooked by so many other great factors.

In conclusion, I was very surprised by BMW. They have made a solid product. I'm already hooked and I'm negotiating a deal with them right now. We'll see. I may very well be posting pictures of my delivery very soon!!
      05-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
West Austin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i w Msport

Congrats. I’m here in Austin too. When did the south Austin location open? I might use it for service. I bought my X3 in San Antonio 3 weeks ago because they were more aggressive on price.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by westaustinag View Post
Congrats. I’m here in Austin too. When did the south Austin location open? I might use it for service. I bought my X3 in San Antonio 3 weeks ago because they were more aggressive on price.
The opened on Thursday
      05-26-2018, 08:27 PM   #4
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

Congrats on your successful test drive and your impending purchase. I’m curious, what did you not like about the interior? Of all the bmw’s I have had in the past this is one of the best finished I have had am very happy with the design, feel and quality padding throughout.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 08:56 PM   #5
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Austin View Post
Hey there West Austin, just curious, is this your VIN "0Y97766"?

The reason I ask is that I almost bought this X3 M40i. It's right about the time it disappeared off the San Antonio BMW website...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Your build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
Just got back from the brand new BMW dealership here in south Austin and test drove the X3 M40i. Amazing car, simply stunning. I test drove an M2 right after it and I'm not getting an M2, I'm most assuredly getting the new X3.

Where to begin. In the summer of 2014, I guess. It was July 21st, exactly one week before my birthday and I was the first to take ownership of an M4 in Austin. It was an amazing car (just check out my garage) and I was very sad to part with it. Later on I decided to go for the M2. I test drove it today for the first time and while I was obviously impressed by the performance it is just too small for me. I'm 6'3". Then I got into the X3 M40i and I loved everything about that car. My five year old son was with me and sitting in the back and very comfy. He's the size of an eight year old by the way but I digress. So after I adjusted the driver's seat I sat in the back seat right behind it and shockingly i fit just fine! It was amazing!! I couldn't believe it! So much room in this car!

Test drive

We slapped onto the frontage road of I35 and I smacked the pedal down (of course). What a feeling. Not only is this car's throttle as responsive as a naturally aspirated one, the roll was minimal, the suspension was super tight. I switched it onto comfort mode to see how that was and it was great. Still kind of sporty but less aggressive. Cornering and braking were what you'd expect from a BMW but even still I was impressed. The interior finish is the only point I would give it that needs a bit of improvement but overall this can be overlooked by so many other great factors.

In conclusion, I was very surprised by BMW. They have made a solid product. I'm already hooked and I'm negotiating a deal with them right now. We'll see. I may very well be posting pictures of my delivery very soon!!

Hey SteveSpy, just curious, what's your build and how aggressive are they on pricing at the South store?

I got 13% off my custom build at the North Austin store. They were also able to get it to me in 3 weeks.

Here's the details: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=375
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:16 PM   #7
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Quote:

Test drive

Hey SteveSpy, just curious, what's your build and how aggressive are they on pricing at the South store?

I got 13% off my custom build at the North Austin store. They were also able to get it to me in 3 weeks.

Here's the details: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...;postcount=375
Pretty similar to yours, actually. This is his first offer, by the way. We really haven't started negotiating yet, I wanted to see what they would offer as a deal so I'm not done haggling just yet, especially now that I know what a deal YOU got heehee!!!
Attached Images

05-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmtespar View Post
Congrats on your successful test drive and your impending purchase. I'm curious, what did you not like about the interior? Of all the bmw's I have had in the past this is one of the best finished I have had am very happy with the design, feel and quality padding throughout.
Maybe it was the leather in the demo, felt cheap, felt leatherette- ey, if you know what I mean. The steering wheel also felt off for me maybe it's because I'm used to the M steering wheel in my 535 M sport. Not quite sure how to explain it. It is not as thick maybe? Other than that, not much else. The rest is nice. The seatbelt was doing this weird thing that I'll need to get used to it pulls on you a bit mechanically then it releases. The sales guy said it was to see what yoirbsize is or something? I'm not sure, I'll have to look it up... but other than that, I liked it.
      05-26-2018, 09:37 PM   #9
greg2step
X3 Owner/Driver
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ha - i saw your thread subject, immediately knew someone either test drove or took delivery of an M40i
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2018, 09:49 PM   #10
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
Ha - i saw your thread subject, immediately knew someone either test drove or took delivery of an M40i
It's truly remarkable what they've done with this car. I mean it just roars! It's so impressive. I didn't have time to delve into all the technology because I was busy today but I can say that I was thoroughly impressed with the new iDrive it is centuries ahead of my current ride. The amount of settings is staggering. It's going to take me hours to get through all the menus. That was one impressive point for sure but that ride feel was just plain solid. It's so stiff in sport mode it's indescribable! I mean you have to pinch yourself to remember you're not driving a sports car! It's an effing SUV!!!!
Max Well4733.00
      05-26-2018, 09:58 PM   #11
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pretty similar to yours, actually. This is his first offer, by the way. We really haven't started negotiating yet, I wanted to see what they would offer as a deal so I'm not done haggling just yet, especially now that I know what a deal YOU got heehee!!!
Hey Steve! Looks like you're off to a great start!

The best advice I could ever give is to get an official offer from another dealer and play them against each other. I did most of it via email. They WILL compete for your business. It could be San Antonio BMW for example. They were giving deals (at least when I was looking).

Also, at the end of the deal, don't be afraid to ask for the nice rubber floor mats and a coffee cup.

Additionally, if you know how to change your own brakes, don't get the maintainence package.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 12:32 AM   #12
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Maybe it was the leather in the demo, felt cheap, felt leatherette- ey, if you know what I mean. The steering wheel also felt off for me maybe it's because I'm used to the M steering wheel in my 535 M sport. Not quite sure how to explain it. It is not as thick maybe? Other than that, not much else. The rest is nice. The seatbelt was doing this weird thing that I'll need to get used to it pulls on you a bit mechanically then it releases. The sales guy said it was to see what yoirbsize is or something? I'm not sure, I'll have to look it up... but other than that, I liked it.
The seatbelt tests how fat we are.
Appreciate 1
SteveSpy373.50
      05-27-2018, 03:21 AM   #13
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Good to hear somebody impressed with the car.

It really is an excellent all rounder!

Look forward to seeing the pictures when you get the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 08:23 AM   #14
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Good to hear somebody impressed with the car.

It really is an excellent all rounder!

Look forward to seeing the pictures when you get the car!
You make it sound like it's a rare thing that someone is impressed with the car!

I'm still mulling it over right now. To understand my thinking, you need to see my garage. I've never owned an suv and there's a reason. I've always been a sports car type of guy. In fact, sports coupes are my ultimate favorite, though I've owned more sedans than coupes because of the practical aspect. When I bought my S4, for example, I chose it over the S5 simply because it was the exact same car with two extra doors and about eight grand cheaper at the time (if I'm remembering correctly).

Maybe it's a personal denial that I've moved into a more mature stage of life with more responsibilities (kids) and different needs. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gone through this.

But the way the car moves it's hard to turn it away. It moves like that sports sedan I've always had, which has me stumped!
      05-27-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
You make it sound like it's a rare thing that someone is impressed with the car!

I'm still mulling it over right now. To understand my thinking, you need to see my garage. I've never owned an suv and there's a reason. I've always been a sports car type of guy. In fact, sports coupes are my ultimate favorite, though I've owned more sedans than coupes because of the practical aspect. When I bought my S4, for example, I chose it over the S5 simply because it was the exact same car with two extra doors and about eight grand cheaper at the time (if I'm remembering correctly).

Maybe it's a personal denial that I've moved into a more mature stage of life with more responsibilities (kids) and different needs. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has gone through this.

But the way the car moves it's hard to turn it away. It moves like that sports sedan I've always had, which has me stumped!
Sorry, didn’t mean for it to come over as a rare occurrence. Meant that it’s good even more people like it - badly structured sentence.

Interestingly, I set out for a M3 and got a SUV. I love it!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 09:23 AM   #16
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
Quote:

Sorry, didn’t mean for it to come over as a rare occurrence. Meant that it’s good even more people like it - badly structured sentence.

Interestingly, I set out for a M3 and got a SUV. I love it!!!!
That is interesting. That's a completely different price point. May I ask what swayed you, specifically?
Rbrown2765.50
      05-27-2018, 11:17 AM   #17
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
That is interesting. That's a completely different price point. May I ask what swayed you, specifically?
Long story short...had always wanted a M3. Wife got a F25 X3, so I thought I didn't need a car for the family.

Test drove the M3, all set to go for it, but just wasn't for me. It's a great car and maybe one day, but at the moment, the SUV with a big engine gives me everything I want / need. Its just a bit sad that we now have 2 x X3s on the drive! See photo.

Any regrets, not at all! In hindsight, I got a really good deal on the car and as there are hardly any in the UK, hoping the residual value stays high.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:29 PM   #18
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
. The seatbelt was doing this weird thing that I'll need to get used to it pulls on you a bit mechanically then it releases.
Mercedes has had that feature on the redesigned C class since it was redesigned a few years ago. I'm sure the S and E class also have it. It's measuring the best way to protect you in a crash.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2018, 07:30 PM   #19
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
Quote:
. The seatbelt was doing this weird thing that I'll need to get used to it pulls on you a bit mechanically then it releases.
Mercedes has had that feature on the redesigned C class since it was redesigned a few years ago. I'm sure the S and E class also have it. It's measuring the best way to protect you in a crash.
That's what the sales guy was trying to explain to me but I couldn't understand it.
      05-27-2018, 07:32 PM   #20
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Wow, just WOW!!!

Guys!! I ordered!!!!!!

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1500412
      05-28-2018, 12:33 AM   #21
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
That was quick. You will love it!!!!

Appreciate 0
      05-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #22
West Austin
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i w Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
Hey there West Austin, just curious, is this your VIN "0Y97766"?

The reason I ask is that I almost bought this X3 M40i. It's right about the time it disappeared off the San Antonio BMW website...
No i bought a 30.i 3 weeks ago.
Appreciate 1