BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-15-2018, 04:31 AM   #1
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Intake grille cover falling off?

I washed my car this afternoon and while drying the kidney grille, somehow noticed a part inside hanging off. It was at 45 degrees, still attached at the bottom but top clip had come loose. I was able to reach in to try and clip in but it's far to loose to stay connected so I've lifted it out to stop it falling further into the car. I'm assuming water pressure knocked it off.

Part is: https://www.bmwpartshub.com/oem-part...71-13718635091

But I can't work out how it is meant to stay on, unless there is normally some kind of foam filter that would put pressure on the clips etc. As it is, I can't see that the part would do much. I can't see any other bits inside the nose, although it's all sealed so difficult to inspect without removing panels, something I don't plan to do.

If I can't work it out, I'll call the dealer but that's a hassle I'll avoid if it's something easy.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
Sokkor1
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...=13&bt=13_1938

mabye this help you
Appreciate 2
nxa112.00
      06-15-2018, 04:51 PM   #3
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokkor1 View Post

mabye this help you
Yes! I was looking for something like that.

So it seems nothing is missing. I wonder why it doesn't clip on firmly. I'll try again now that I know, maybe just a little more force or better alignment. It had started to go dark so I was working by torch even after backing into my garage as the overhead light did nothing for the grill.

I've clipped it back on, was able to see better today.

The new photos also highlight that I didn't pay much attention to the nose with the soap....some bug splats still there.

There is still movement and I know I could flick it off pretty easily but perhaps they are all like this and it's not going to fall off during driving. I'm not sure what it's actually doing given it's not filtering air, it's not stopping bugs crawling in. Small mice could make it through, but not rats. That must be it.

Anyone else feel like poking their cover and letting me know if it also has movement or comes off easy?
Attached Images

Last edited by nxa; 06-15-2018 at 05:17 PM..
Appreciate 1
abcsoup184.50
      06-19-2018, 01:21 AM   #4
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
I wanted to update this and again see if anyone else in the forums can see if theirs has fallen off.

The cover fell off properly yesterday, and with a torch I could see it lying down low in the void against the radiator.

I went to my dealer today, and the service guys pulled the kidney grill off and put it back on. I wasn't in the workshops, but they said it feels very lose but after checking two other cars, that it's the same on them all. They said it won't fall off through normal driving or even a power wash....even though it did, just the normal driving was enough yesterday as I haven't washed since.

I'm sure it will fall off again. If you do check your car, put your phone in and take a snap or else ou won't really know something is missing. The photo above is with it in place.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2018, 06:29 AM   #5
GGEVOX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i, F36 440xi

Mine has a bit of play. Does not seem like it will fly out with the angle its at. I will check every so often now tho.

Anyone else notice?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Fell off again. Dealer asked me to come back in, couldn't convince them to at least order or check that they have a replacement before I sit there for 2 more hours. If they try to just clip it on again I'll start getting cranky...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 12:11 AM   #7
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

How do you get the louvers to open? Mine are (of course) closed when I pop the hood.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #8
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylo View Post
How do you get the louvers to open? Mine are (of course) closed when I pop the hood.
No idea - despite them having promoted it as a 'feature' in the press, AU cars didn't have the louvres so are always open. Gapingly open actually - probably how I noticed the cover was off in first place but it also means when you see one on the road, all you see is a big radiator grill and tension bars coming at you A few people standing by my car have independantly ended up peering in the front going "wow, how come it's so open?". I've a feeling the designers didn't plan for some markets to sell it like this.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 07:54 PM   #9
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Want to add a question to this...Since I don't see it in action, I am curious how often the grill slats close and open for aero since it blocks any air going into the intake. Has anyone read up on how and when the grill slats are activated?
      06-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #10
abcsoup
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7 M60i, X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natd View Post
No idea - despite them having promoted it as a 'feature' in the press, AU cars didn't have the louvres so are always open. Gapingly open actually - probably how I noticed the cover was off in first place but it also means when you see one on the road, all you see is a big radiator grill and tension bars coming at you A few people standing by my car have independantly ended up peering in the front going "wow, how come it's so open?". I've a feeling the designers didn't plan for some markets to sell it like this.
I actually like that open look! Very aggressive and reminiscent of a full M car.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
darrylo
Head Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 G01 X3 x30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by natd View Post
That's so weird. Are the designers assuming that Australia is always hot, and so they need to leave the grill open??

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreDirtyFive View Post
Want to add a question to this...Since I don't see it in action, I am curious how often the grill slats close and open for aero since it blocks any air going into the intake. Has anyone read up on how and when the grill slats are activated?
The "Active Grill", as they call it, is supposed to have better aerodynamics, and only opens when extra cooling is needed. I also assume it helps the engine get up to running temp faster.

Appreciate 1
Sea-Tac1453.00
      06-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #12
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
[QUOTE=darrylo;23361255]That's so weird. Are the designers assuming that Australia is always hot, and so they need to leave the grill open??

The "Active Grill", as they call it, is supposed to have better aerodynamics, and only opens when extra cooling is needed. I also assume it helps the engine get up to running temp faster.

-----------

I think you are correct when you say it helps get the engine up to running temp faster. I have to say my x3 reaches temp faster than any other BMW I have had. I think that has a lot to do with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 08:46 PM   #13
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Update: part was replaced yesterday and feels "firm" in position.

Garage says 'never had this before' but that was despite the mechanic on earlier visit testing a few other cars in workshop and saying "hmm, others are loose too"!

They couldn't offer any explanation of what the cover is actually for, but if it's meant to be there and not rattling around down in the radiator void, I expect it to stay there!
Appreciate 0