F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Shifter stiffness
proTUNING Freaks

11-05-2018, 05:28 PM   #1
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X Drive M Sport 6MT

Shifter stiffness

Hey guys, I've had my F30 335i for about 2 years now, and lately I've been noticing something weird with the shifter on my car. I know in the colder weather the shifter gets a little stiff but since the end of the summer the shifter on the car is incredibly stiff. Honestly feels like it needs to be greased or tighten up. Any way to get to the shifter linkage, or is there something else I need to look into. Only drive the car on the weekends. Any help would be greatly appreciated
      11-05-2018, 05:54 PM   #2
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

When was the last time the fluid was changed? Is this only from first to second or through all gears?
      11-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdegene View Post
When was the last time the fluid was changed? Is this only from first to second or through all gears?
Quote:
Fluid has never been changed. Car has 59,300 miles. Car goes into gears no problem. Just doesn't feel as smooth as when I first got the car at 42,000 miles. I was thinking the fluid needs to be changed.
      11-05-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo93 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Fluid has never been changed. Car has 59,300 miles. Car goes into gears no problem. Just doesn't feel as smooth as when I first got the car at 42,000 miles. I was thinking the fluid needs to be changed.
Quote:
It's hard to explain. When you move the shifter left and right in neutral it doesn't go back to the middle. It like gets stuck on the left or right side and you have to put it back in the middle for neutral
      11-05-2018, 06:45 PM   #5
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

The side to side issue doesn't sound like a fluid issue, although I would recommend you change it. I used Redline MTL and love it, although it's not BMW approved. Lots of forum posts suggested it, so I went with it and it made everything smoother.

Just guessing... You either need to replace the transmissions detent pins, or the plastic cup that the shifter moves in.

It's more likely the detent pins, unless you also feel slack in the shift.
      11-05-2018, 09:12 PM   #6
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The side to side issue doesn't sound like a fluid issue, although I would recommend you change it. I used Redline MTL and love it, although it's not BMW approved. Lots of forum posts suggested it, so I went with it and it made everything smoother.

Just guessing... You either need to replace the transmissions detent pins, or the plastic cup that the shifter moves in.

Quote:

Just curious. Where are the detent pins located and how can I inspect to see if they're bad
      11-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #7
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

I have a similar thing going on with mine. I had the fluid changed this summer and they put in BG syncroshift. After that it was really tough going into first when cold, but would operate normal or close to it when warm. I changed the fluid out a second time a few weeks later for the BMW OE fluid.

It fixed the issue a bit, but anything over 0mph when cold doesn't want to go into first. I never force it into first while moving, but in stop and go traffic its a pain trying to get it into first from second while at walking speed.

Been half wondering if the clutch isn't going, but it doesn't slip at all and I haven't been rough on it, starting to worry the syncros are shot.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 07:51 AM   #8
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
I have a similar thing going on with mine. I had the fluid changed this summer and they put in BG syncroshift. After that it was really tough going into first when cold, but would operate normal or close to it when warm. I changed the fluid out a second time a few weeks later for the BMW OE fluid.

It fixed the issue a bit, but anything over 0mph when cold doesn't want to go into first. I never force it into first while moving, but in stop and go traffic its a pain trying to get it into first from second while at walking speed.

Been half wondering if the clutch isn't going, but it doesn't slip at all and I haven't been rough on it, starting to worry the syncros are shot.
Mine does this too and so did my car before it. It's normal. In that situation, you either need to slow enough to get into first, or just use second.
      11-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #9
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Unfortunately, they're in the transmission and very hard to get to. They can be replaced without removing the transmission, but it's a job.
      11-06-2018, 05:55 PM   #10
Bigmo93
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately, they're in the transmission and very hard to get to. They can be replaced without removing the transmission, but it's a job.
Quote:
Oh boy. I'm gonna try changing the fluid and see if it makes a difference. What weight redline should I use and how many quarts? Thank you for getting back to me I really appreciate it
      11-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #11
Korvo
Respect My Authoritah
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmo93 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Oh boy. I'm gonna try changing the fluid and see if it makes a difference. What weight redline should I use and how many quarts? Thank you for getting back to me I really appreciate it
No problem. You'll need 2 quarts. It takes a little less, 1.6 I think?

Here's where I got mine:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/r...iABEgJaDPD_BwE
      07-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #12
ghatiey1990
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Any update on what was causing the stiffness? Having the same issue
      07-29-2019, 02:51 PM   #13
ghatiey1990
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Bump! Anyone that experienced this and any feed back on how to fix it without taking it to the stealership would be awesome!
      07-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #14
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

Easiest thing to do is to rebuild the shifter assembly, which will get rid of a lot of slop and is much less involved than doing the pins inside the transmission.

Even for an advanced home mechanic the transmission pins are dicey, IMO
      12-10-2020, 11:25 PM   #15
Planefixer4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

Same stiffness issue here.....left-to-right stiffness

Ok...my car has the same problem

Everyone who is on here saying to change your fluid just needs to go home or first thoroughly read the initial description of the problem.
The problem we are having is when we move the shifter from side-to-side. It has NOTHING to do with forward/aft movement of the shift lever.

From what I have researched, it is a shifter detent issue. Unfortunately, the fix does not seem to be cheap or easy. The problem is that the shift detents live up in the top of the gearbox. They do not get lubricated by the tranny fluid. This was/is a common problem on The e46 manual transmissions (gearbox) also. It was a big enough issue that Shifter Detent Rebuild kits were made for those cars.
There are several YOUTUBE videos on BMW SHIFTER DETENTS.....YOUTUBE search it.

I can only speculate as to why the same type of kits have not come along for our cars, but it probably is because these car have not been around as long, and ALSO only a very small percentage of the Fxx cars came with manual transmissions (gearbox). Its a supply-vs-demand thing. Most CHUMPS got the AUTO.

I have looked into getting the detent parts for the 6 speed, no parts are available. ZF does not sell parts for this gearbox. ItÂ’s a complete assembly if you want to do anything with it. The best solution I have found is getting a NEW gearbox for $3300, and they give you $1300 back for the core. $2000 and you have a fresh gearbox.

Now....after watching some of those YOUTUBE videos, I have considered pulling the gearbox and seeing if I can remove and clean/lubricate the detents before I order a new gearbox. No matter what, the gearbox has to come out.

I have a spare car - Toyota Corolla - which will NEVER die. So its an option I might consider.

We got screwed on this one, unfortunately.

I hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 10:04 PM   #16
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planefixer4 View Post
Most CHUMPS got the AUTO.
Alright relax.
      12-09-2023, 07:02 PM   #17
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Did anyone ever solve this? I have the same issue, when i shift out of either 1st, 2nd, 5th or 6th, shifter doesn't self center. It just stays off to the left or right (between 1st and 2nd or 5th and 6th) until i manually push it back to the middle.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 10:08 AM   #18
E46erak
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT RWD

I had this issue when I first picked up my car (used, 71k miles). After driving it for a few thousand miles, the problem resolved itself. Does your car sit without being used for any periods of time?

Other solutions I have seen have to do with detents in the transmission, which require removal in order to replace. This is a carry-over issue from the 5 speed ZF gearboxes. Google "E46 5th gear lean" for related information.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 05:45 PM   #19
jbiswurm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i msport 6mt

Nah, i drive it daily. Interesting enough, inpulled up the shift boot and i think the issue is actually slop in the linkage. I ordered all the components to rebuild the shift linkage all the way to the trans and will install over the holidays and if that does ir
Appreciate 0