F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Maintenance: Wash, Wax, Detailing, Repairs > Help with Sport Line bumper repair
proTUNING Freaks

03-29-2019, 06:17 PM   #1
BenMN
BenMN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Help with Sport Line bumper repair

Hi all,

I have a '18 440i X-drive sport line. We had a bad winter in Minnesota, and I ended up tapping a gradual snow bank, cracking the brittle plastic and tearing off some trim. The bumper shell itself is fine, however, the "finisher, rod, center" is now hanging down (I temporarily tied it with soft wire to avoid flapping). When that happened, it pulled some of the screws out (likely stripping the holes, picture 3 center circle) in the other plastic framework (which also broke as seen in the left/right circles in picture 3).

I am trying to fix this myself with OEM parts. I do not have garage space to pull it apart and wait a week for parts to come in. I have been trying to compare the pictures (below) with part diagrams from getbmwparts.com, but it is difficult without a real exploded diagram. Does anyone have one that shows all the bumper components?

When looking at F30 parts, they have what is called a "Front Bumper Air Intake Insert" which I suspect is the broken plastic framework on my car, but the site says it is not compatible and I cannot find that for an F32. Anyone know where to find a new one?

Thanks for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:56 AM   #2
greyf36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Grey F36

i've some previous body work experience and i think you should definitely take the bumper off the car to get it repair. Do you at least have a driveway where you can
do work on your car?

This will allow you to have better access to all the area in all the different angles to make the repair job easier and better

Also, it's hard to see what you need to replace but try this here

https://www.getbmwparts.com/v-2018-b...mponents-front
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
BenMN
BenMN
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i

Thanks for the response. You are right, the bumper will definitely have to come off.

I am trying to see if part 17 (picture I) is the same thing as the black plastic part forum member's car (picture II, sorry I forgot who posted this). The picture in the diagram does not seem to be very detailed, so it is difficult to see if this is the correct part or not.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-11-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
T_Bone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Hey Ben, I was curious how you made out with this... I'm getting ready to replace that same part (on a 335i), and there doesn't seem any DIYs or discussion about it... Any advice or insight you have is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0