F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > CIC Entry to NBT EVO Retrofit
Extreme Powerhouse

05-24-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
foobar_666uk
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

CIC Entry to NBT EVO Retrofit

Hey Everyone!

I have embarked on a project to upgrade the infotainment system in my 2012 BMW 3-Series F30 from its current CIC Entry system to the latest generation NBT EVO

This is the first time I have ever attempted such a project, but I was inspired by so many others on this forum and other forums that I felt I should give it a try.

I have a few questions that I hope someone could help me with?

1) I am thinking of going down the route of recoding the NBT EVO with my VIN and using FSC instead of using an Emulator. If I were to go down this route, can I plug the Quadlock connection from the CIC Entry directly into the new NBT EVO?

2) Following on from Question 1, I also have the Touch Controller and Touch ECU. I understand that this required 2 connections, whereas the existing Controller currently only has 1 cable going to it. I have read that you can use a Y-Splitter cable, is that true? Or going back to Question 1, do I need an adapter to provide 2 cables (one for the controller, the other for the touch ecu?)

See photos of my current CIC Entry Unit on top of the new NBT EVO unit that I purchased from eBay.
On the back of the NBT EVO unit that I have purchased, there are connections for DAB

3) The NBT EVO unit has two connections for DAB, I was under the impression on the NBT EVO that GPS and DAB were inbuilt and didnt require connectors? Is that true? If so, what are the connectors for?

4) I have read that I can use the existing Video Cable from the old display/HU to connect the new NBT EVO to the new 8.8" CCID display that came with it. The plug fits perfectly into the 8.8 display, but doesnt fit the NBT EVO unit. I read somewhere that if you turned the cable upside down and cut the plastic guides, it would fit and work - is that true?

Appreciate all help and advice in advanced!

David.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:35 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar_666uk View Post
Hey Everyone!

I have embarked on a project to upgrade the infotainment system in my 2012 BMW 3-Series F30 from its current CIC Entry system to the latest generation NBT EVO

This is the first time I have ever attempted such a project, but I was inspired by so many others on this forum and other forums that I felt I should give it a try.

I have a few questions that I hope someone could help me with?

1) I am thinking of going down the route of recoding the NBT EVO with my VIN and using FSC instead of using an Emulator. If I were to go down this route, can I plug the Quadlock connection from the CIC Entry directly into the new NBT EVO?

2) Following on from Question 1, I also have the Touch Controller and Touch ECU. I understand that this required 2 connections, whereas the existing Controller currently only has 1 cable going to it. I have read that you can use a Y-Splitter cable, is that true? Or going back to Question 1, do I need an adapter to provide 2 cables (one for the controller, the other for the touch ecu?)

See photos of my current CIC Entry Unit on top of the new NBT EVO unit that I purchased from eBay.
On the back of the NBT EVO unit that I have purchased, there are connections for DAB

3) The NBT EVO unit has two connections for DAB, I was under the impression on the NBT EVO that GPS and DAB were inbuilt and didnt require connectors? Is that true? If so, what are the connectors for?

4) I have read that I can use the existing Video Cable from the old display/HU to connect the new NBT EVO to the new 8.8" CCID display that came with it. The plug fits perfectly into the 8.8 display, but doesnt fit the NBT EVO unit. I read somewhere that if you turned the cable upside down and cut the plastic guides, it would fit and work - is that true?

Appreciate all help and advice in advanced!

David.
I'll just tip you off that the CIC iDrive controller is on KCAN and the NBT/NBT EVO Controller and Touch ECU are on KCAN2.

So that has to be corrected and yes a splitter can be used to the controller and touch ECU.

The rest can be found via search but I suggest you have someone like steve@codemybimmer assist you.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2019, 02:57 AM   #3
foobar_666uk
Rep
Drives: 320D M Sport

Thanks, what exactly do you mean when you say I need to correct it? I had read several posts that suggested the 2012 F30 used KCAN2. So I am little confused now, do I need to do some custom wiring or not?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #4
smallba
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Garage List
There are two diagram to convert to kcan2 in there.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1503154
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2020, 09:10 AM   #5
AGONXF30
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

I have been wanting to do the same. I didn't do it before because I had connected drive and an updated 4G connectivity combox and I didn't want to lose that option, but since I didn't pay for last year, I have not been missing anything.

My CIC is also fully loaded so I get the music apps, which is the biggest thing. I also find that CIC traffic rerouting can be sometimes better than Waze (I use Waze in conjunction with my car Nav as back up and I do a lot of cross country driving) and it not supper annoying in functionality, but I would love the new interface and speeds.

Is it better to find a donor car or to just buy a whole kit of eBay etc?
Appreciate 0