F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 10.25" Android 9.0 HU discussion
Studio RSR

11-19-2019, 08:01 AM   #1167
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanielgita View Post
Has anyone installed Dimly for android? I find it is excellent at dimming the screen beyond the minimum stock screen brightness. If you get the full version it enables the auto start and stop at set times or sunrise/sunset I believe.
I believe Dimmer can do very similar thing, and you can time it as well and it's free with no ads.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:34 AM   #1168
fuktf
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmanslim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuktf View Post
Hi all,

Need a bit of advice regarding these android screens. I currently have a quadlock adapter in use for my Audison amp. i see these screens use a quadlock adapter as well. Is it possible to run two quadlocks in series? Has anybody done this, any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Yep, works absolutely fine with mine.

That being said, I'll need to work out the cable routing behind the idrive unit, as things are tight as they are! I think I'll pull out the glovebox to see how things can be routed to the side.
Thanks for your reply mate. I'm going to order a screen soon, which one do you have? I've had the glovebox out before and there is a void at the side of it. I also rerouted some of the original wiring to create more space. This is all on a F32.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:15 AM   #1169
Spanielgita
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D F31 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
I believe Dimmer can do very similar thing, and you can time it as well and it's free with no ads.
Oh thanks, ill try that one out.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 09:27 AM   #1170
RaceX58
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanielgita View Post
Thanks for you hard work developing this app to help everyone out.

I have a suggestion for your consideration. Can you have the volume knob on the Head Unit itself used to adjust brightness? I always use my steering wheel controls for skipping tracks and pausing music etc.
No it's not posible to use the volume knob cause I doesn't send broadcast intents. So I can't intercept it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrazy View Post

Another Idea: Is it possible to link my Idea with presets maybe to the radio buttons from 1- 8?? So you just press a number and than bam! display dimming is set This would be very very nice because the number buttons are useless in android side. Because we need our wheel scroll button for music, this is not a good option in my opinion but many respect to your work you achieved already a lot by gaining access to the dimming service maybe we can adjust the usability a bit more, the main work is already done perfectly by you great respect!!!
Unfortunatly when you press a radio button it switches to the original interface. So it can't be used. Also I haven't found any broadcast intent so I can't intertect it.

Quote:
I know of course and therefore we could make like, I don't know, 6 - 10 presets (all editable by user) and just select the one which accords to the weather. To go into settings and adjust the slider while driving is dangerous and very hard. Also before driving you have to wait until system boots up, which is too long every time.
I like this idea and I will add it in a future release

I've also found a library that calculate sunrise/sunset based on time and position. I started to implement it. So in the future you will be able to enable a sort of automatic switching based on time.

Information request

I need some guys to do a test. Just install the app and start the dimming service. Then tell me if it connects to the MCU or not.

Thank you guys for your support contribution !
Appreciate 2
RedErik1023.50
      11-19-2019, 11:42 AM   #1171
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuktf View Post
Thanks for your reply mate. I'm going to order a screen soon, which one do you have? I've had the glovebox out before and there is a void at the side of it. I also rerouted some of the original wiring to create more space. This is all on a F32.
No problem at all. I’ve found the whole process to be a bit of a leap of faith/archeological dig into the information available. I will say that I am both extremely impressed with the unit and level of support I have got. I bought it from the Naviodm AliExpress store. They even shipped from the EU to save me the import feees!

Also, I’m feeding into the Aux port and have NO degradation in audio quality. You need to make sure you don’t max out the audio output level on the unit and you’re totally fine!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:44 AM   #1172
mattmanslim
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmanslim View Post
No problem at all. I’ve found the whole process to be a bit of a leap of faith/archeological dig into the information available. I will say that I am both extremely impressed with the unit and level of support I have got. I bought it from the Naviodm AliExpress store. They even shipped from the EU to save me the import feees!

Also, I’m feeding into the Aux port and have NO degradation in audio quality. You need to make sure you don’t max out the audio output level on the unit and you’re totally fine!
£330.15 41% Off | Navidom full HD 4+64G android 9.0 8 core car Multimedia car dvd player Audio for BMW F30/F31/F34/F32/F33/F36 radio gps radio
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/E8QQaObW
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 11:56 AM   #1173
twoface
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 316D

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceX58 View Post
Information request

I need some guys to do a test. Just install the app and start the dimming service. Then tell me if it connects to the MCU or not.

Thank you guys for your support contribution !
Just wondering why you need to connect to MCU to control brightness? Cant you control it with Android service?

Here is an idea for another app. LDR sensors are pretty cheap, you can use on on Arduino nano and program it to send light level readings to serial port. Connect the Arduino via USB to the Android HU and open the serial connection. Then adjust the brightness based on light level readings from Arduino.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #1174
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoface View Post
Here is an idea for another app. LDR sensors are pretty cheap, you can use on on Arduino nano and program it to send light level readings to serial port. Connect the Arduino via USB to the Android HU and open the serial connection. Then adjust the brightness based on light level readings from Arduino.
Well if you go through all the trouble of setting up LDR sensor with Arduino to communicate over serial, why not just ignore Android side completely and hook Arduino directly to led backlight of the screen. There is a plug on the main board that controls just backlight. Then you don't have to wait for Android to boot up, it will work as soon as turn the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 01:27 PM   #1175
twoface
Private
Rep

Quote:
Well if you go through all the trouble of setting up LDR sensor with Arduino to communicate over serial, why not just ignore Android side completely and hook Arduino directly to led backlight of the screen. There is a plug on the main board that controls just backlight. Then you don't have to wait for Android to boot up, it will work as soon as turn the ignition.
I didnt know there is a dedicated place for LDR on main board. I didn't open my unit and I didn't plan to. How can we even be sure it will work if you put LDR there?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #1176
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
I didnt know there is a dedicated place for LDR on main board. I didn't open my unit and I didn't plan to. How can we even be sure it will work if you put LDR there?
I didn't say there is a dedicated spot for LDR. There is a dedicated plug (two wires - some voltage and ground which is either PWM or variable voltage supply) for providing power to led backlight. If you were to unplug this connector from the main board, hook it up to Arduino Nano board with TEMT6000 sensor and write a simple script, you would end up with fully automated screen brightness based on ambient light and completely independent of Android operating system, which means you wouldn't have to wait for unit to boot up for it to do its thing.

As you suggested, we could then come up with an app that would be talking back and forth with Arduino to do some adjustments.

Last edited by RedErik; 11-19-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 03:18 PM   #1177
RaceX58
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Quote:
Just wondering why you need to connect to MCU to control brightness? Cant you control it with Android service?
On these head unit you can't control the brightness under Android. Just have a look to the Android settings and you'll see there is no option to control the brightness
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #1178
twoface
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceX58 View Post
On these head unit you can't control the brightness under Android. Just have a look to the Android settings and you'll see there is no option to control the brightness
On Snapdragon unit you can adjust brightness. Thats why I was confused why do dont control it via android.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #1179
mebmw90214
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Garage List
2015 F30  [0.00]
I recently bought, installed Eonon Android 9.0 pie 10.25 (GA9303NB). Not yet aware; How to customize and update andriod version, is there a site notification available? Also, the dashcam not working, some configuration required.

Overall; it's outstanding and looks great.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 01:57 AM   #1180
seaman5705
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebmw90214 View Post
I recently bought, installed Eonon Android 9.0 pie 10.25 (GA9303NB). Not yet aware; How to customize and update andriod version, is there a site notification available? Also, the dashcam not working, some configuration required.

Overall; it's outstanding and looks great.
For updates, get them from your vendor or this thread . For update procedure read post 1152 .
For customization use Settings/Factory settings in the unit , or check this thread for mods. Factory settings password is 1314 usually.
Dashcam - check if enabled in settings and proper type selected (cvbs or usb).
BTW - try to read/search a little bit before asking very basic questions - no offense .
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 02:44 AM   #1181
Gidimba
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F30) 11/2013

Quote:
Many thanks man nice app. You know what would make sense? If you can save values for different occassion like morning mode 70% dim or night mode 20% dim with just a click. We have to go everytime inside the settings and adjust the slider by hand which is hard while driving and before driving it takes too long.

So just open the app click on your desired pre setting and bam! dimming is done. This would be nice. I need my steering wheel scroller for music so I can't use it for dimming unfortunately.
The default dimming setting on the system uses the Headlights. when they are on the Dimming is on and when they are off, the back light is in full brightness.
the app you did is a great solution, but since the device is connected to the CAN , isnt there a way to read the vehicle automatic lights sensor instead?

in my country, we are required by law to have the lights on during all winter, so the device default Dimmer setting is on and the back light is dimmed.
but there are many sunny days and during daytime it is annoying. but if the dimmer could be set to use the car's light sensor then regardless to the headlights being on or off, when it is bright outside then the back light would not be dimmed.

do you think this is a possible solution?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 03:35 AM   #1182
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidimba View Post
do you think this is a possible solution?
I think this would require reprogramming the MCU as it acts as a bridge between car's CAN bus and Android unit. Unfortunately we don't have access to the source code of MCU and I don't think an app would solve this. I might be wrong though.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 04:57 AM   #1183
Gidimba
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (F30) 11/2013

Quote:
I think this would require reprogramming the MCU as it acts as a bridge between car's CAN bus and Android unit. Unfortunately we don't have access to the source code of MCU and I don't think an app would solve this. I might be wrong though.
OK,
makes sense.
I have also reached out to the device Engineers and asked them the same.
hope to get some tracktion there.

I also complained that on the ID7, I would have liked to see the CarPlay app as one of the main screen shortcuts to make it simpler than opening the apps list and selecting from there as this is my most common use

another thing,
I saw discussions here about LTE version with which bands supported etc.
basically if you connect a device (Android or iOS) to the device USB, when tethering is enabled, it should work as a USB network connection.
this means that if the device has the correct drivers it could connect using the device through the already connected USB cable.
has anyone tried this?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:16 AM   #1184
brainy
Rep
Drives: 340i

Has anyone had any experience with this version from ADC?

https://www.adcbmw.uk/product/id7-na...dragon-4g-lte/
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 05:42 AM   #1185
-pascal-
Rep
Drives: 1 series/F20 (2019)

My PX6 Android 9.0 rustles, when I hear radio and Google Maps voice speaks.

Do you have a solution for this problem?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 06:35 AM   #1186
Shrazy
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pascal- View Post
My PX6 Android 9.0 rustles, when I hear radio and Google Maps voice speaks.

Do you have a solution for this problem?
Everytime first start integrated music app close it and then start radio. Voice will turn normal.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:29 AM   #1187
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainy View Post
Has anyone had any experience with this version from ADC?

https://www.adcbmw.uk/product/id7-na...dragon-4g-lte/
it's the same snapdragon from aliexpress we're talking about for months. But more expensive
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2019, 07:32 AM   #1188
Mjam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E87, i3, Taycan Cross Turismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidimba View Post
in my country, we are required by law to have the lights on during all winter
That surely must be daytime running lights (DRL), not the full headlights? All cars produced in Europe the last 20-30 years or so, have automatic DRL, which is specially designed for use during daylight. Android does not dim when DRL is on. Cars with also automatic headlights might turn on too early and dim the unit, the sensitivity might be possible to program with Carly or other means.
Appreciate 0