F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Is anyone driving their RWD BMW all winter long?
ARMA SPEED

08-12-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Is anyone driving their RWD BMW all winter long?

I'm sure adding winter tires, any rear wheel drive car can be driven in winter. Back in the days, most cars are rear wheel drive so it wasn't an option. But now with all wheel drive available, is anyone still doing this? Are all wheel drive cars that much better in the snow? It certainly can't stop any better. Can a modern rear wheel drive BMW cope with snow especially with all the electronic nannies?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:49 AM   #2
rak299
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 6MT

Certainly, people drove on snow and ice before all-wheel drive existed, and winter tires do help. As you said, AWD doesn't help you stop faster. When starting on ice, traction control with RWD does provide some power to the wheel with traction, while without TC, the wheel without traction gets all the power. AWD is a big help when driving on wet or snowy or icy surfaces. It is a big improvement over the older 4WD systems with a straight-through transfer case, especially when going around corners or turning.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:53 AM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

I drive year round in my RWD 335i...does it matter that I live in California?

In all seriousness though, plenty of people drive RWD in REAL winter conditions. All about tires and knowing how to handle and correct when things get slick. AWD can actually have the undesirable effect of giving people too much confidence in their car's ability to tackle snow. RWD with snow/winter tires > AWD with all-seasons.
BMWinAZ104.00
      08-12-2019, 01:25 AM   #4
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rak299 View Post
Certainly, people drove on snow and ice before all-wheel drive existed, and winter tires do help. As you said, AWD doesn't help you stop faster. When starting on ice, traction control with RWD does provide some power to the wheel with traction, while without TC, the wheel without traction gets all the power. AWD is a big help when driving on wet or snowy or icy surfaces. It is a big improvement over the older 4WD systems with a straight-through transfer case, especially when going around corners or turning.
I asked because I traded my X1 with Xdrive for the 430i GC RWD and I'm having a touch of buyer's remorse even though the 430 is a lot more fun to drive, more comfortable, more powerful, more gadgets, sleeker looking. I should have gotten the xdrive version but the dealer loaded them with so much stuff that it's $6K above mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 01:53 AM   #5
RMachuca3d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Msport

Garage List
328i rwd here, incredibly well balanced when it comes to snow and being sideways if you want it to.

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 02:40 AM   #6
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I drive year round on high performance summer tires
Appreciate 1
TX55248.50
      08-12-2019, 03:57 AM   #7
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

I put on my snows - Michelin Primacy or Bridgestone Blizzak WS80 - around Thanksgiving, and take them off around Easter.

The 335d, with gobs of torque, is a sled without snows. With snows, I've driven past Audi Quattro and Jeeps that only have all-seasons. I had to remind my wife that, while her 328xd is an awesome car, it doesn't go around corners or stop as fast as my car, because she kept refusing to put on her snow set and was traipsing around with all-season Bridgestones.
Appreciate 1
BMWinAZ104.00
      08-12-2019, 04:34 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenXer View Post
I'm sure adding winter tires, any rear wheel drive car can be driven in winter. Back in the days, most cars are rear wheel drive so it wasn't an option. But now with all wheel drive available, is anyone still doing this? Are all wheel drive cars that much better in the snow? It certainly can't stop any better. Can a modern rear wheel drive BMW cope with snow especially with all the electronic nannies?
I've run both 3 & 5 series RWD through Scottish Highland winters.

Most of my winter driving is on cold and wet roads, slush and some snow days. It is all about tires for me, braking and car control more critical than traction on snow.

If we had more snow days, I'd seriously consider xDrive, but at present happy on RWD (with AT), running winter tires.
Appreciate 2
GenXer1365.00
BMWinAZ104.00
      08-12-2019, 04:52 AM   #9
HFW003
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i xdrive

I am
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jh_f301307.00
      08-12-2019, 06:28 AM   #10
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I was absolutely doing this when I still lived where it snowed in winter. I see no reason to choose to pay for/maintain/carry around all that extra weight over the front wheels, affecting steering feel and handling, all year long. (Had no choice with my GT). Had been successfully using a series of Blizzak WS tires in Michigan for many, many years.
Appreciate 1
      08-12-2019, 07:10 AM   #11
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I was absolutely doing this when I still lived where it snowed in winter. I see no reason to choose to pay for/maintain/carry around all that extra weight over the front wheels, affecting steering feel and handling, all year long. (Had no choice with my GT). Had been successfully using a series of Blizzak WS tires in Michigan for many, many years.
Swiss mountains with good winter tires? No problem. Sure you got more uphill traction with the X. But just for that I wold never swap. I put her on paddles, so I decide when the gear change happens since you can get a bit suprised sometimers, especially with the torque of 6 cyl. engine. I am considering to buy a LSD but this makes the fun bigger in Summer as well
      08-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #12
obert
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Drove my car with winter tires in some deep snow last year with no problems. I will never drive during winter with out them again. Only downside is the ugly winter wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #13
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

It can be done but awd will perform better. Not just the extra driven wheels, but the extra weight keeps it planted and improves response in crappy weather.

I had a Subaru Outback beater for years and just replaced it with an X5. The performance with proper AWD and a heavy car is far superior to any fwd/rwd sedan. It's also nice because I just keep my summer tires on the coupe and don't have to worry about swapping tires back and forth on the random winter days where temps are 50+.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 08:16 AM   #14
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

People do it all the time in Europe. Which is why BMWs are the subject of a lot of winter jokes involving towing.

And yes - XDrive is that much better, not only for the winter but in general. Unless you insist on playing around.
      08-12-2019, 08:40 AM   #15
BWbimmer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW F36, E36, E93

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by obert View Post
Drove my car with winter tires in some deep snow last year with no problems. I will never drive during winter with out them again. Only downside is the ugly winter wheels.
You are absolutely right, really ugly winter wheels.

https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-winter...r-f32-f33.html
obert1781.00
      08-12-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
I drove my E46 in all sorts of winter conditions for eight years and intend to run my RWD 435 year round as well.

On my E46, I was young and naive and only ran summer or all season tires. Looking back I see how dangerous and foolish it was, yet the car drove REALLY well despite it's handicaps and when driving with caution the only problems I encountered was trying to get up the curb into my driveway after the snow plow had come by.

This time around, I'm getting winter wheels/tires. I'm already shopping.

I find the balance of a RWD car much easier to handle in winter conditions than FWD. I've only briefly owned an AWD car (Subaru Outback) and was underwhelmed by it's performance in bad weather. I don't think I'd every choose another AWD car simply for the AWD drivetrain.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
vtown
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I drive my 335i RWD year round in CT. The car is very capable with proper snow tires (I have Xice). As others have mentioned, AWD doesn't help you steer or stop, it only gets you going better. The place where AWD really shines is if you happen to have a steep driveway. Now, if you are a powderhound and drive to the mountains in a snow storm, you'd probably want the AWD (and Snows), but honestly ground clearance becomes an issue in those situations and you really want a truck.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 10:24 AM   #18
Gen13 F36
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i Gran Coupe

This generation of drivers are very spoiled. They have traction control, AWD, electronic LSD and more stuff new vehicle comes with. Just go out and drive moderately, and some has said get some snow tire.

I bet you during this winter season... while your walking out your dog or just strolling down the street look at those BMW on the street most probably just RWD and wearing all season tire. Not all driver are car enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 12:07 PM   #19
adhrp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M550i (G30)/2021 X3 (G02)

My car has spent its entire life in snowy states on high-performance all seasons (with as high winter ratings as they get) and I have had zero issues in the snow. The car is exceptionally stable despite having all season Conti DWS06 and RWD. I recently moved to a hilly neighborhood and it does get a little tricky getting over the inclines sometimes when the snow isn't cleared, but careful acceleration and maneuvering gets me there. I have never been stranded (yet).

Sold/Retired: 2012 328i (F30)
Appreciate 1
bsmf8x778.50
      08-12-2019, 12:11 PM   #20
Desertnate
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Garage List
2016 BMW 435i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen13 F36 View Post
I bet you during this winter season... while your walking out your dog or just strolling down the street look at those BMW on the street most probably just RWD and wearing all season tire. Not all driver are car enthusiasts.
Not always true. It's location specific. The only way to get a RWD BMW anywhere within several states of where I live is to special order it. They are VERY rare. Dealers only stock AWD versions of the cars and have been doing this for years. I have met BMW sales people who have never seen or driven a non-///M RWD BMW after years of working at the same dealership.

When I was shopping for my 4 series, I had to open my searches up to beyond 500miles away to find RWD 2,3 or 4 series cars. The only ones I was finding were in California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. Occasionally you might see one pop up further north, but they are VERY rare.

When I bought my CPO 4 series locally, everyone I met at the dealership was shocked to see it was RWD and not AWD and commented on how rare it was. In fact the women in the F&I department thought the paperwork was wrong and ran the VIN twice just to make sure it was right. I just happened to find the one lease turn-in within hundreds, if not a thousand miles, special ordered by someone who appreciated RWD.
Appreciate 1
vtown99.00
      08-12-2019, 12:24 PM   #21
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

The discussion here is going back and forth between the 2 extremes, I feel....

1. Is is possible to drive a RWD car safely in snow&ice?
Certainly, but it is sub-optimal and not particularly relaxing. FWD perform better. AWD - best.

2. Should you buy a RWD if you intend driving it in snow&ice?
Depends on whether you really insist on RWD for the rest of the year. If you do - you certainly can. It'll be the necessary compromise.
If you don't - then it makes no sense. Go for AWD which is better from winter-, summer- and performance- point of view.
      08-12-2019, 12:31 PM   #22
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

If you are in a location where there is snow more than a handful of times in a year, then a good set of winter tires is a smart investment regardless of drivetrain.

I think you'll be fine with RWD. If snow removal in your area is bad though, be prepared to have AWD cars running laps around you from light to light though.
Appreciate 0