E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E92 325D ABS Sensor Type

04-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Classkeeper
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 325D M Sport Coupe

E92 325D ABS Sensor Type

Morning All,

I have a 2010 E92 325D M Sport and my ABS/DSC warning lights are on, and am trying to determine what the correct ABS sensors are for it. I plugged it into a friends code reader and it came up saying front nearside ABS sesnor. I've been reading that there can be different types depending on whether I have active steering or not, but is there a definite way to tell? I've read about the lock-to-lock turns being 2 but mine seem to be more like 2.5/3ish but every time i put my reg number or model type into a search function it comes up with saying I need active steering types.

What difference does this make to the ABS sensors? I assume they are 'active' as there's a 12V supply to them. I've done some testing on the ones on the car using a multimeter, they don't seem to give out any resistance readings but when i spin the wheel they will generate a small ACV reading. I purchased a replacement sensor which has the same part numbers and looks identical, but that will give a resistance reading but no ACV reading so something doesnt seem right?

Appreciate any light someone could shed on this, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Put the last 7 characters of your VIN into realoem.com and you'll be a lot closer to the answers you need. It's a confusing maze at first, but everything you need to know is there (barring a few exceptions)
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
therealdb1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Graphite E93 335i

An ABS sensor is essentially a coil and a magnet so you should be able to read a DC resistance across its terminals but it will only be a few ohms.

The output, if you spin the wheel will be very short DC pulses in response to passing teeth on the reluctor ring so you will be lucky to see anything on a voltmeter. You really need an oscilloscope to make sure you have regularly spaced, square edged pulses. If pulses are erratic or mishapen you will get an ABS error and the same if the coils go open or short circuit.

There are various types of sensor but often the only difference between part numbers on a particular car is the length of the connecting cable.

As Turbohamilton says check Real OEM for the part number for your application but it sounds like the replacement sensor you have is working as expected.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 02:18 AM   #4
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Yours having 2.5 to 3 turns lock to lock is different to mine which is only 2. Mine doesn’t have active steering so I’d say yours probably has.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2020, 02:22 AM   #5
nomiS330d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 330d

Put your last 7 digits of your vin number in here and should show you all the spec’s of your car including active steering I would have thought. S217A I believe is the code for active steering.

https://www.mdecoder.com/
Appreciate 0