F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Bimmercode/link Beware
proTUNING Freaks

08-21-2020, 04:23 AM   #1
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320D Xdrive Msport+

Garage List
Bimmercode/link Beware

My F31 is in for a rear camera fault & just had a call from the dealer to be told they have noticed manipulated code in the car (Bimmercode coding) that is causing the fault in the camera (alignment issues) & that due to this my car is now blacklisted for electrical warranty claims unless I pay to have it factory reset.
Soul_Glo13347.00
      08-21-2020, 04:49 AM   #2
M140_BCS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

How much did they quote to carry out the factory reset?
      08-21-2020, 04:55 AM   #3
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Yeh intrested to hear how much they want for that?
Cars can take hours (and i mean like over night) to do a full flash!

What all did you have coded and what was up with the camera alignment?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:23 AM   #4
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M140_BCS View Post
How much did they quote to carry out the factory reset?
Will find out later on pick up.
      08-21-2020, 05:40 AM   #5
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

What bits did you have coded?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 05:57 AM   #6
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pobsey View Post
What bits did you have coded?
Mperformance logo on startup & tyre pressures/temps
      08-21-2020, 06:01 AM   #7
Paddy1975
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 318i

WOW sorry to hear that mate, hope it gets sorted and not a kicking on the price for reset. They obviously know that coding is a big part of this community and just need a trigger to pounce on the owner. bad day at the office.
      08-21-2020, 06:03 AM   #8
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
It's when cars are in and linked to BMW main system the system has been enhanced to see any tampering at low level. Seems they are clamping down on everything.
      08-21-2020, 06:40 AM   #9
M140_BCS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe

Same goes for the engine and drivetrain warranty if you flash a remap and then remove before dealer visit.
Attached Images

Last edited by M140_BCS; 08-22-2020 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #10
Sasquartch
Major
Rep
Drives: 520i G30

So is this just coding, ie changing parameters for things like stop-start and Enhanced Bluetooth ?

Or is it tuning which is a different thing, ie remapping ?

I've coded ASS to remember last setting and EBT - can't see how that would affect anything other than the coded components so the dealer seems to be being very draconian
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 07:13 AM   #11
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I 100% get the issue with flashing new engine/transmission maps, but changing a setting that (by design) is there to be changed should not invalidate the warranty.

I assume you can pay a dealer to do some FDL coding. I accept they may not wish to code functions you didn't pay for, but something like stop/start defaults or shutting the ignition off when you open the door should be fine.
Appreciate 3
Soul_Glo13347.00
Jim23k57.50
F3RDTY15.00
      08-21-2020, 08:07 AM   #12
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post
So is this just coding, ie changing parameters for things like stop-start and Enhanced Bluetooth ?

I've coded ASS to remember last setting and EBT - can't see how that would affect anything other than the coded components so the dealer seems to be being very draconian
Both as my car is not remapped, my service manager who looks after us as a family said there is nothing he can do apart from re code the camera to work fault free but to re enable a full warranty the car would have to be "reset"
      08-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #13
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian332isport View Post
I 100% get the issue with flashing new engine/transmission maps, but changing a setting that (by design) is there to be changed should not invalidate the warranty.

I assume you can pay a dealer to do some FDL coding. I accept they may not wish to code functions you didn't pay for, but something like stop/start defaults or shutting the ignition off when you open the door should be fine.
I've been told the issue is BMW are tightening up on these changes due to instability of the recode. Was told I'm not the first with a few being picked up weekly, even on warrantied secondhand buys/AUC cars where it's not been found prior to sale and customer is unaware. I wouldn't be surprised if dealers start checking more thoroughly on hand backs or trades.
      08-21-2020, 08:23 AM   #14
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquartch View Post

They are saying it's the part itself & the connected modules that are warranty blacklisted so in the case of mine it's the Headunit & all connected items.

Will know the full extent of it all in depth when I collect it later this afternoon.
      08-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #15
Stainy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435d Xdrive

I first posted about this a couple of months ago HERE

Same issue - almost didn't pay out for my mates car. Luckily, it wouldn't even talk to Germany when the chips were on the table, so they couldn't prove anything.

I won't be coding anyone else's!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 09:17 AM   #16
JD6
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 840i GC + Mini Electric L3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RENT-A-GOAT View Post
My F31 is in for a rear camera fault & just had a call from the dealer to be told they have noticed manipulated code in the car (Bimmercode coding) that is causing the fault in the camera (alignment issues) & that due to this my car is now blacklisted for electrical warranty claims unless I pay to have it factory reset.
A very useful warning to others - me included! Thanks

I agree as discussed here that this seems understandable and proportionate for non-BMW mods, such as a hike in power, but when switching on BMW-designed stuff like temperatures from the tyre sensors, this seems rather extreme.

I have noticed in iDrive 7 that some of the stuff which previously had to be coded, such as rear lights always on with DRLs, mirrors fold on locking... is now available in the iDrive menu. Surely that is a sensible way forward - allow safe BMW-designed stuff to be done within the iDrive so coding isn't required.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:14 AM   #17
Sullym6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not got it yet

Is this related to bimmercode or even changes made by esys as after all it is the same program bmw would use themselves.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:23 AM   #18
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Just got my car back.

Had a whole list of "black listed codes" was told the Mperformance startup screen is a early indicator of tampering but usually harmless and ignored but due to the fault and the pull down by BMW nothing could be done to help the outcome or situation I'm now in. A car that has no internal electrical systems covered in the warranty. Luckily BMW have approved a full reset (they do not always agree to this) that will clean sheet the car and I have been told this will take 1day+ but will include all of the latest software/firmware/enhancement flashes with all consumer allowed access in modules available.

It's not the world of total pain I thought I would be in but I can just suppose luckily due to our families relationship with the dealer I did receive some discount on what it would be with it coming to £550 all in fully capped regardless of time to do. That's the BMW permission codes to reset & German labour to access and clean sheet with 2.5hrs labour for Dealer to go in and update all items & set the car up as required.

It could be so much worse there was a customer today told that their nearly new M3 was totally blacklisted due to engine & gearbox mapping as well as a tampered coding. BMW have said no to clean sheeting & BMW warranty/finance have also withdrawn from the vehicle & customer.

Lesson learnt & it will be going in next week for it to be done.

Very clear warning here they are checking and nothing is untraceable, like mentioned early in the post/thread in a reply BMW have very much gone the way of VAG in terms of zero tolerance & blacklisting.
Jim23k57.50
RobUK2812.00
      08-21-2020, 10:25 AM   #19
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sullym6 View Post
Is this related to bimmercode or even changes made by esys as after all it is the same program bmw would use themselves.
Only thing my car has had is Bimmercode but apparently from what my service manager has been told they are logging into the factory systems any changes between logs (at service intervals they have the car or whenever it is in for recalls/warranty)
      08-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #20
speedski
Major
Rep
Drives: Former F40/F36/E81/E85 Owner

makes sense if you think about it - they're moving to an all options fitted pay for what you want to use business model - therefore they need to make this watertight.

Obviously checking the date stamps to determine the restore of the previous versions.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #21
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I coded in the M splash screen. I was bored of the connected drive one. I've coded door handle lights on reverse. Tire temperature. B&O sound from HK.

Would I get done even if I reversed to default settings?

It seems a bit childish of BMW. I get they want to prevent people messing up cars but switching things on and off doesn't sound like a big deal. I guess it's trying to avoid warranty claims and getting people to pay to play such as apple car play. They want to charge for options and keep models within their segments.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2020, 10:39 AM   #22
RENT-A-GOAT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedski View Post
makes sense if you think about it - they're moving to an all options fitted pay for what you want to use business model - therefore they need to make this watertight.

Obviously checking the date stamps to determine the restore of the previous versions.
Exactly the take of the service manager who openly said its huge and this is not a one of case by a long stretch