E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Using Power Ports While Motor Is Off

10-04-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
web1b
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i

Using Power Ports While Motor Is Off

Is there some trick of button presses on the starter button to getting the power ports to become live while the engine isn't running?

I don't mean the car is completely off with with key removed, I mean the car in an "accessory mode" with the engine off, but other things like the radio still functioning.
Sometimes, I sit in the car for 30 minutes or so listening to the radio and web surfing with my phone at lunch and I'd like to charge my cell phone at the same time (web surfing can drain the tiny phone battery pretty quickly) without having to keep the engine idling. The radio, power windows and most other things are powered, but the power ports don't seem to work.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:09 AM   #2
sageashton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i, Manual

Use the power in the glovebox. It stays on for a couple of hours. Get the flashlight to to cig lighter adapter.
      12-28-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
web1b
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sageashton View Post
Use the power in the glovebox. It stays on for a couple of hours. Get the flashlight to to cig lighter adapter.
Only 2006 and 2007s have power in the glove box.
I figured it out though. You press and hold the starter button and then cigarette lighter without pressing the brake pedal then the power ports and everything else (a/c, heat etc.) gets power as if the engine was running.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
bigaltech
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by web1b View Post
Only 2006 and 2007s have power in the glove box.
I have a port in my glove box.. 2008

edit: unless your only talking about 325/328's.. not sure.. but 335i -yes
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 08:51 AM   #5
web1b
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigaltech View Post
I have a port in my glove box.. 2008

edit: unless your only talking about 325/328's.. not sure.. but 335i -yes
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...8&postcount=13

Maybe they still had the flashlights on early 08 models.
I have a flashlight in my 2008, but it is a battery operated LED flashlight the dealer gave that substitutes for the rechargeable ones you used to get.

They are also gone in the 2009s.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...43&postcount=1
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
F104
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: E92 320D M-sport

if anyone has some knowledge here I would like to know too how this system works:
I did find out that if the start/stop button is illuminated the BMW system pulls 4 Amps. I learned this as I have an OBD reader installed which stays on as long as there is OBD data. The BMW ECU sees something is hooked up and stay alive. This resulted everytime in draining 4 amps up to 30 minutes after shutdown (when the ECU decides something is wrong and shuts down anyway). Flat battery etc

That has now been addressed, my OBD reader shuts down first after seeing no rpm for 60 seconds (thank you dashdyno..) after which the BMW ECU goes to sleep too.

Nevertheless the logic in this car still amazes me. Up to x hours after removing the key you can still switch the radio on. If that doesn't work you hit the start button, and then the radio, and it's on again.. No need for a FOB.

I haven't been able to find a key switch wire such that my Parrot powers off when i pull the key FOB out, and on with the FOB in. Either the parrot switches off when the engine is switched off (manually, not when auto stop/start does it, and the 12V supply plug behaves the same), or it remains on for 30 minutes and I have to ensure my phone stay out of reach...

As far as I'm concerned the guy who develloped this logic was on steroids.. If I pull the FOB out i want all systems off, except for any programmed headlights on time, and parking lights. And when the FOB is in I want accessory power - how difficult can this be?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i; 2000 E46 323i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F104 View Post
And when the FOB is in I want accessory power - how difficult can this be?
Sorry to revive this old thread but I need to know if there's a different solution to the problem that the OP referred to. I've got an '07 335i and it pisses me off that when I park the car and shut the engine off (without pulling the key out) ALL accessory power turns off. It pisses my 2 small kids in the back even more because I've got a pair of over-the-headrest DVD monitors that shutoff when I do this.

I searched but could not find anything besides this thread; anyone's help to this is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #8
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F104 View Post
if anyone has some knowledge here I would like to know too how this system works:
I did find out that if the start/stop button is illuminated the BMW system pulls 4 Amps. I learned this as I have an OBD reader installed which stays on as long as there is OBD data. The BMW ECU sees something is hooked up and stay alive. This resulted everytime in draining 4 amps up to 30 minutes after shutdown (when the ECU decides something is wrong and shuts down anyway). Flat battery etc

That has now been addressed, my OBD reader shuts down first after seeing no rpm for 60 seconds (thank you dashdyno..) after which the BMW ECU goes to sleep too.

Nevertheless the logic in this car still amazes me. Up to x hours after removing the key you can still switch the radio on. If that doesn't work you hit the start button, and then the radio, and it's on again.. No need for a FOB.

I haven't been able to find a key switch wire such that my Parrot powers off when i pull the key FOB out, and on with the FOB in. Either the parrot switches off when the engine is switched off (manually, not when auto stop/start does it, and the 12V supply plug behaves the same), or it remains on for 30 minutes and I have to ensure my phone stay out of reach...

As far as I'm concerned the guy who develloped this logic was on steroids.. If I pull the FOB out i want all systems off, except for any programmed headlights on time, and parking lights. And when the FOB is in I want accessory power - how difficult can this be?
I recently installed a parrot ck3100 kit in my aunts mercury mariner hybrid and I used the illumination wire to power it on and off since there was no rem lead or switched power source behind the HU. It's usually orange in most cars but I dont believe BMW has an illumination wire.

The cigg lighters are switched.....on with 2 presses of the start button, ^no foot on brake. I use this to run my angel eyes are DRLs....with a diode wired in line.
Appreciate 0