F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Unable to read head unit
ARMA SPEED

10-23-2020, 04:21 AM   #1
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

Unable to read head unit

I performed a base map version update from a third party company and now I can't access the head unit to finish coding an SLI emulator with Bimmercode.

This is what Bimmercode had to say:

"The head unit has to be in its original state. If you used a third party solution to enable CarPlay or the navigation has been unlocked, these changes have to be reverted, because BimmerCode will not allow coding the head unit otherwise. Retrofitted iDrive systems may also not be accessible under certain circumstances."

Is there a way to still access and code the head unit without reverting back?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2021, 02:37 PM   #2
veejay
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i

Bimmercode blames to other party, and other party blames bimmercode.

In the meantime we are stuck with it. Deleting and reinstalling everything on the phone did not help here.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:48 PM   #3
Kepuczor
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive

I have the same issue "coding head unit not possible because it is not in its original state".

I did use the same Feature Installer with the same code to successfully restore to OEM, but it did not help. I did all kinds of restarts/driving around, even installed and removed CarPlay again.

I am using an ENET cable and an iPhone ethernet adapter to connect and all other coding went without any other issues.

Please advise what should I do.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 04:37 PM   #4
J555
Captain
Rep
Drives: F31 LCI 340iX

Got the same after full retrofit of ID6 HU by authorized service. Not altered unit or features unlocked, as I have them all and I am even full ConnectedDrive subscriber.

Contacted Bimmercode support, provided them log data, and they've responded extremely quickly. However, their final conclusion was "the app is not able to verify the FSCs stored in the headunit. I can not tell why this is the case at the moment and there is no quick fix unfortunately."

The only way would be using another software.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
Kepuczor
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J555 View Post
Got the same after full retrofit of ID6 HU by authorized service. Not altered unit or features unlocked, as I have them all and I am even full ConnectedDrive subscriber.

Contacted Bimmercode support, provided them log data, and they've responded extremely quickly. However, their final conclusion was "the app is not able to verify the FSCs stored in the headunit. I can not tell why this is the case at the moment and there is no quick fix unfortunately."

The only way would be using another software.
Bimmerpost support actually resolved my issue and it was quite simple. Their app is just not that smart.

Here is their exact response:

"Hi,
after removing the CarPlay unlock, please delete the FSC folder on your device using a computer or the iOS files app."

Meaning that first you should return the Head-unit to the OEM state (remove CarPlay) and then remove the FSC folder on your phone.

I did it and it all works well.
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      04-21-2021, 01:29 PM   #6
dg02
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepuczor View Post
Bimmerpost support actually resolved my issue and it was quite simple. Their app is just not that smart.

"Hi,
after removing the CarPlay unlock, please delete the FSC folder on your device using a computer or the iOS files app."

Meaning that first you should return the Head-unit to the OEM state (remove CarPlay) and then remove the FSC folder on your phone.

I am having the same issue, how do you remove the CarPlay unlock? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #7
Kepuczor
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg02 View Post
I am having the same issue, how do you remove the CarPlay unlock? Thanks
In my case the CarPlay was unlocked with a program called feature installer.

You launch this program on your laptop when connected to your car, you have to put the feature code, then click identify and start. It will ask you if you want to return the head unit to the OEM state. It takes 5 minutes.

The laptop needs a solid connection to the Internet and you cannot interrupt the connection to the car as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 08:55 AM   #8
J555
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Bimmerpost support actually resolved my issue and it was quite simple.
Thanks for the update, that was also suggested in my case. Unfortunately doesn't work in my case of fully retrofitted HU (with no hacks/unlocks)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 05:49 PM   #9
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Thanks for the update, that was also suggested in my case. Unfortunately doesn't work in my case of fully retrofitted HU (with no hacks/unlocks)
Best way is to use Esys
Appreciate 2
J555568.50
1004ron32.00
      04-26-2021, 06:04 AM   #10
Runner340
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340i xDrive

I used E-Sys too. Works much better. Plenty of Youtube video tutorials and info on these BMW sites to get you started. App is pretty easy to use actually after my initial hesitancy and concerns. Also much safer coding using an ENET cable connection versus Bimmercode WiFi or Bluetooth connection.

Last edited by Runner340; 04-26-2021 at 06:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
J555568.50
      04-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #11
J555
Captain
Rep

Thanks! I plan to use it, just had no time to acquire and learn it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 06:13 AM   #12
Will Madigan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 330e

Hi

Very new to coding and BMWs. Got a 2018 330e and loving it. I have bluetooth audio but not office or can't connect 2 phones(on calls, can connect 1 for audio and 1 for calls).

Anyway, I got bimmercode and a modbmw wifi enet to add them. The head unit is not appearing in the list on bimmercode.

When you are all saying that head unit is not working, is it appearing and blank once you into it or not appearing like me? List of ecu's appearing.

Thanks
Will
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2022, 05:35 PM   #13
J555
Captain
Rep

I resolved mine by using Bimmergeeks ProTool instead. A much more capable app than Bimmercode, that has no such issues.
Appreciate 1
1004ron32.00
      01-06-2023, 07:37 AM   #14
rvolpe219
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Head Unit Access Denied

Quote:

"Hi,

————-

Last edited by rvolpe219; 01-06-2023 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: Copied my response by accident
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 07:40 AM   #15
rvolpe219
Registered
Rep

Hello. Please advise how you reverted. I am running into the same issues after installing a third-party Carplay unlock. I have a 2018 X3 xDrive30i, without wireless charging or wifi hotspot. Can it be done with BimmerCode?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2023, 07:45 AM   #16
rvolpe219
Registered
Rep

More specifically, how did you remove the CarPlay unlock? Please advise.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2023, 12:57 PM   #17
J555
Captain
Rep

Use the esys or ProTool (basically a user friendly esys in your mobile) and you should be fine. While I am not blaming Bimmercode, the ProTool is as easy to use, and so more capable, nobody will ever look back.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:29 AM   #18
ringo9
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition DCT

Another ones bites the dust... Had CarPlay activated via feature installer and right after that I can;t access the Headunit module via Bimmercode.

I followed this thread's advice and removed CarPlay, deleted the FSC folder on my Android phone (had to connect it to a pc to access the Android/data subfolders) but STILL, Bimmercode shows up the same erorr message of unit not being in its original state.

So frustrating having paid for Bimmercode and having to purchase another app like the ProTool for 80$, only to be able to access one single module....

Has anyone found a work-around to this?

Otherwise I think I will be buy tokenmaster's licence for 50$/3 year plan and try my lack with the real thing (E-SYS)... what other options are there?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2023, 07:53 AM   #19
tarekelsakka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 330i

I'm in the same boat. I've been searching for a fix and this thread came up. I have a '16 330i which originally came with a ID4 and I retrofitted an ID6 a couple of years ago at a local garage and they activated Maps and CarPlay for me. I don't know what tool, FSC code, etc. they used to be quite honest but it's been working fine ever since.

I do use BimmerLink and BimmerCode for some coding, but I've noticed that I cannot really access the Head Unit from BimmerCode at all, because of the dreaded "Coding this control unit is not possible because it is not in its original state" error. I've contacted BimmerCode about it and still waiting for their reply.

What are my options? I don't know what the garage did exactly to activate CarPlay and I don't really want to mess with that, but I want to be able to code the HU using BimmerCode? I also have an ENET cable I bought a couple of years ago but I heard that coding with ESYS is not possible anymore unless you purchase BimmerUtility.

Can someone shed some light on this please?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2023, 01:20 AM   #20
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarekelsakka View Post
I'm in the same boat. I've been searching for a fix and this thread came up. I have a '16 330i which originally came with a ID4 and I retrofitted an ID6 a couple of years ago at a local garage and they activated Maps and CarPlay for me. I don't know what tool, FSC code, etc. they used to be quite honest but it's been working fine ever since.

I do use BimmerLink and BimmerCode for some coding, but I've noticed that I cannot really access the Head Unit from BimmerCode at all, because of the dreaded "Coding this control unit is not possible because it is not in its original state" error. I've contacted BimmerCode about it and still waiting for their reply.

What are my options? I don't know what the garage did exactly to activate CarPlay and I don't really want to mess with that, but I want to be able to code the HU using BimmerCode? I also have an ENET cable I bought a couple of years ago but I heard that coding with ESYS is not possible anymore unless you purchase BimmerUtility.

Can someone shed some light on this please?
Bimmercode stop you coding modified headunits because they don't want to get involved with these units, they are covering their ass.

Using esys requires a Token solution, esys ultra is the best integration I've used.

Esys is more difficult to learn than Bimmercode etc but way more powerful and flexible than the phone apps.
      04-02-2024, 05:42 PM   #21
1004ron
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5 xDrive35i

Quote:
I resolved mine by using Bimmergeeks ProTool instead. A much more capable app than Bimmercode, that has no such issues.
A couple of weeks ago I upgraded the IDT and Screen, and this evening was the first time that I tried to use BimmerCode and learnt that it can no longer access the Head Unit.

Downloading to my Samsung tablet now.

$50 for BimmerLink, $50 for BimmerCode and now $80 for Bimmergeeks ProTool.

https://www.bimmergeeks.net/protool

Edit: It wont use my OBDLink MX+ and advising I use their Bluetooth Adapter at $50, so this is on hold for now.

Last edited by 1004ron; 04-02-2024 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 04:00 PM   #22
NealfromNZ
Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Brought bmercode for a similar reason for NBT coding with id4. Did a id6 retrofit and hit the third party issue. Bimmecode won’t even allow the most basic coding parameters on it in export mode. Easy $80 for BimmerCode. Now as about as useful now as a teapot 🤣

Gone to laptop coding via Bimmer Utility which is next level and can be relied on no mater what other coding I may do in the future.
Appreciate 0