F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > X drive suspension ?
GetBMWParts

02-20-2021, 06:00 AM   #1
NealJ
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw F30 lci

X drive suspension ?

Sure it’s been asked before but could anyone confirm what springs are on the LCi f31 x drive?
Is the ride more comfortable than non x drive?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 06:38 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NealJ View Post
Sure it’s been asked before but could anyone confirm what springs are on the LCi f31 x drive?
Thanks
There is only one way to know exactly what springs are on your car, by visual inspection. Each BMW spring has a white label contains a two letter code such as AH, HI, BG, etc. The code corresponds to a spring spec that BMW doesn't publish any more.

When a car is being built at the factory they take into account the weights of standard and optional equipment and choose the optimal front and rear spring combination to install on the car.

But the root of your question seems to be that you are assuming that your springs are causing an uncomfortable ride. It's likely that they are not.

About half of the harshness of the F3x ride comes from the stiff sidewall of the runflat tires. Put regular tires on it and rough roads won't be as bad, potholes won't feel like craters and highway road seams won't feel like 4"x4"'s. They will feel rounded off like 2"x4"'s.

The best summer tires are Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. For all seasons: Michelin A/S 4 or Continental DWS06.

The stock struts and shocks contribute to the stock harsh ride. They're just cheap! An excellent high tech replacement are the Koni Special Actives. They are very comfortable yet sporty when you hit a curve. Koni designed them with McLaren.

If you want to change springs I highly recommend Eibach. They have a moderate drop that's only 10% stiffer than stock so they won't add to harshness.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 5
KRS_SN13519.00
LobB5109.00
SuperHamz742.00
Skyhigh1889.50
cfm56d7b5886.00
      02-20-2021, 06:54 AM   #3
NealJ
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for your detailed reply.
I currently own an F30 m sport which I’m running 18” non runflat winter set up.Yes it’s a lot better than the 19”s on runflats,but still find it a bit fidgety and uncomfortable on bumpy surfaces.
I’m in the market for a touring so that’s why I was wondering if the x drive might have the SE springs which I would imagine are softer.Not bothered for improved handling and sportiness I just prefer comfort in my old(er) age.
Also looking at an A4 b9 on comfort springs always a bit bias towards BMW.
Wanted to put a dog in the boot so can’t be doing with a whingy dog on long journeys.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #4
Techno 9000
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435D Estoril Blue

Can't be certain in regard to LCI springs on X-Drive, but I haven't ever read that they differ compared to pre-LCI springs.
My 2015 X-Drive came with springs that were longer than non X-Drive models. (People on this forum often state they are 10mm longer than the non X-Drive versions.) The car certainly sat tall on them and soaked up bumps, but the body control was lacking. It's something you would need to test drive on roads you know to make a decision whether it's right for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 08:04 AM   #5
Alscoob
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G31 540i M Sport Edition

Quote:
Thanks
Might be more comfortable as the are not M sport springs on X drives ...but the ride will be more bouncy

and you don't have to sacrafice comfort for good handling
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      02-21-2021, 10:01 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your detailed reply.
I currently own an F30 m sport which I’m running 18” non runflat winter set up.Yes it’s a lot better than the 19”s on runflats,but still find it a bit fidgety and uncomfortable on bumpy surfaces.
I’m in the market for a touring so that’s why I was wondering if the x drive might have the SE springs which I would imagine are softer.Not bothered for improved handling and sportiness I just prefer comfort in my old(er) age.
Also looking at an A4 b9 on comfort springs always a bit bias towards BMW.
Wanted to put a dog in the boot so can’t be doing with a whingy dog on long journeys.
If you are going all out comfort I would still get Koni Special Active dampers along with 245/45-18 non-runflat tires. I'd study the tire ratings and reviews in TireRack for the most quiet and comfortable. I'd start with the Michelin A/S 4 and Conti DWS06 since they are known to work well with the F3x and expand your search from there. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:28 AM   #7
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

My xdrive and my previous xdrive both give a 'softer' ride even on 19" wheels with runfflats compared to the RWD 4 series I've driven. As others have said the car sits about 10mm higher as well so more ground clearance. Perhaps not as sporty as a proper M sport and a little more 'bounce' but very comfy on my boney bum!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #8
weeguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 420d m sport x drive

Just recently fitted my F32 xdrive with Eibach pro’s. Original OEM springs were “FH” front, “GM” back.

Eibach backs have dropped the car 12mm but fronts havent done anything🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:12 AM   #9
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435d M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeguy View Post
Just recently fitted my F32 xdrive with Eibach pro’s. Original OEM springs were “FH” front, “GM” back.

Eibach backs have dropped the car 12mm but fronts havent done anything🤷*♂️
I had the same problem with my F36 xdrive with Eibach Pro's which i had fitted last August, my rears dropped the stated 15mm but the fronts only dropped 8-10mm. Would have preferred the stated 20mm drop or at least the same as the rears, but i now feel the balance is just not quite right so will probably have to go down the route of changing the shocks, something to look forward too when all the madness starts to go away
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 01:39 AM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

If comfort is the priority, I think the 3 series is probably the wrong choice. Within brand, how about a 5 touring instead?

I'm not sure an Audi would be on my list of off brand alternatives for comfort. I've never driven a car with worse ride than an A4 I tested, albeit a B8.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
LobB5109.00
      02-25-2021, 02:02 AM   #11
NealJ
Enlisted Member
Rep

I am considering a 5 series F11.Just can’t help thinking it looks dated now.🤔
My previous car was an Audi B8 dynamik and I found that much quieter and actually a better ride even on 19’s.Maybe a bit more Crashy but not as fidgety.
Would rather stick with BMW.The A4 need to be a good spec otherwise look very boring I think.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 03:19 AM   #12
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ View Post
I had the same problem with my F36 xdrive with Eibach Pro's which i had fitted last August, my rears dropped the stated 15mm but the fronts only dropped 8-10mm. Would have preferred the stated 20mm drop or at least the same as the rears, but i now feel the balance is just not quite right so will probably have to go down the route of changing the shocks, something to look forward too when all the madness starts to go away
I have the same challenge with the ACS springs (speculated to be rebranded Eibach). My rear dropped significantly more than the front. Ideally the front should have dropped another 5mm, and the rear at least 10mm less.

Do you have a photo of yours from the side? Curious to see whether it looks similarly, with a hanging ass...
      02-25-2021, 02:56 PM   #13
t5pilot
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP & S1000 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:
I have the same challenge with the ACS springs (speculated to be rebranded Eibach). My rear dropped significantly more than the front. Ideally the front should have dropped another 5mm, and the rear at least 10mm less.

Do you have a photo of yours from the side? Curious to see whether it looks similarly, with a hanging ass...
This is my old F30 335d XDrive, with Eibach Pro's.
Pretty even drop front/rear IMO...
Attached Images

02-25-2021, 06:39 PM   #14
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours !!!!!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:44 PM   #15
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

The rear is pretty good and hasn't changed, think the front must have gone slightly higher from taking the picture, as it doesn't look quite as good as that now, it was six months ago when i took the picture, i will have to go and re-measure.
It was the reason i went for the Eibach's as that stated drop would be 20 front and 15 rear , where as ACS state 25 front and 20 rear, and i didn't want the front diffuser catching on the kerb as i reverse up the drive.

Last edited by APJ; 02-25-2021 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 01:31 AM   #16
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you for the photo! Mine coming soon with comments

I have never seen ACS define their drop as specific as you state for front and rear! This is straight from their website:

Tieferlegung VA ca. 20 - 25mm
Tieferlegung HA ca. 20 - 25mm

So approx. 20-25 front and rear.

In reality not just ACS, but no one can promise you a drop down to a mm. Not even down to 5mm. The actual drop per axle depends heavily on your vehicle (configuration, weight, engine, etc).
      02-26-2021, 03:29 AM   #17
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'll show you mine if you show me yours !!!!!
Full exposure then

The front looks pretty much as yours, what do you think?
The rear however is definitely lower than yours I'd say...

Be assured that in time nothing goes higher. If anything - yours became even lower. But most likely it hasn't or not appreciably.

Best would be to measure the distance from the centre of the wheels vertically to the arch. Then we can compare more precisely.
Spoiler alert - I have more than 1,5 cm difference front and back....
      02-26-2021, 04:02 AM   #18
APJ
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the photo! Mine coming soon with comments

I have never seen ACS define their drop as specific as you state for front and rear! This is straight from their website:

Tieferlegung VA ca. 20 - 25mm
Tieferlegung HA ca. 20 - 25mm

So approx. 20-25 front and rear.

In reality not just ACS, but no one can promise you a drop down to a mm. Not even down to 5mm. The actual drop per axle depends heavily on your vehicle (configuration, weight, engine, etc).
Blimey i see what you mean, looks like you have a bootful of luggage !!

Yes the figures i quoted are approximate, but they have been quoted on here many times, and i think by Lorcan as well who appears on here many times and who actually works for ACS or for a company who sells their goods and has quite extensive knowledge of all ACS products. Maybe its worth asking him if anything can be done.

I have seen other vehicles with ACS springs that are almost as low, and that is what put me off ACS, which is a big shame as all-round they are probably the best lowered springs for our vehicles. (I know others will now come on and say others are better, but going off the general consensus on this site)

Last edited by APJ; 02-26-2021 at 04:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 04:22 AM   #19
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Yes. And I can show you what it looks like with 2 persons sitting in the back, but you can imagine, I am sure

Lorcan is certainly very helpful and knowledgable. He has however already taken a position, which (surprisingly or not) is in line with ACS official position

A. The cars have reverse rake from factory (not true in my case or at least definitely not to that extent).

B. ACS springs drop the car approximately evenly (clearly not true in every case)

C. The drop (I suspect no matter what, but at least mine specifically) is all within tolerance

D. The front arch is made bigger to ensure the free turning of wheels, which creates an optical illusion (I am not convinced about that, my measurements don't support this theory)

Did you expect anything else? And some of the above is certainly true to some extent - e.g. I have a heavy configuration. Probably the heaviest possible F36. The tow hitch installation alone is about 30kg, from memory...

And YES - there is something which can be done for the rear axle! This is also the recommended mitigation by ACS (I got in touch directly with Aachen), who suggested it as I complained about the uneven drop. You can install the so called "Poor Road Package" spacers (original BMW), which will lift the rear with 6+ mm. Many people in Germany have them installed in combination with the ACS (Eibach) springs.

I still haven't done so, but am more and more inclined to do it. I have the spacers already.

The spacers are 6mm thick, but I have read people claiming the actual lift is a few mm bigger... I can't understand where the extra lift would come from, but even 6 is better than nothing I guess...
      02-26-2021, 04:55 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Lorcan is certainly very helpful and knowledgable. He has however already taken a position, which (surprisingly or not) is in line with ACS official position

A. The cars have reverse rake from factory (not true in my case or at least definitely not to that extent).

B. ACS springs drop the car approximately evenly (clearly not true in every case)

C. The drop (I suspect no matter what, but at least mine specifically) is all within tolerance

D. The front arch is made bigger to ensure the free turning of wheels, which creates an optical illusion (I am not convinced about that, my measurements don't support this theory)..
Makes sense to me, particularly if the springs are not model specific, (as in matching exact specification).

Front wheel arch gaps are typically more, as mentioned, by design. Optically it gets much more sensitive as you close the gaps. Tolerances will show even more.

BTW, BMW have springs matched to options. Even a panoramic roof in a touring changes the spring specification. So anyone just buying "a part number" for a model will have variations.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 05:48 AM   #21
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Agree. It should be noted however that ACS have different set of springs within a certain model, depending on the engine. Which makes perfect sense.

In the example above, the 430d xDrive, 435d xDrive, 435i xDrive and 440i xDrive share the same set.

420i xDrive , 428i xDrive, 430i xDrive, 435i, 440i, 420d xDrive and 430d have a different set.

And even so.... the result is suboptimal for some....
      02-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #22
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Agree. It should be noted however that ACS have different set of springs within a certain model, depending on the engine. Which makes perfect sense.

In the example above, the 430d xDrive, 435d xDrive, 435i xDrive and 440i xDrive share the same set.

420i xDrive , 428i xDrive, 430i xDrive, 435i, 440i, 420d xDrive and 430d have a different set.

And even so.... the result is suboptimal for some....
You are saying there are 'just' two spring rate/spec options for the model range... Hence the wide fitting tolerances users are seeing. Axle weights will be very different, even for the models listed for a specific spring set.

The other factor as you have mentioned, is actual measurements. Requires a flat surface, more a workshop floor, than roads or parking areas.
Appreciate 0