F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Catless downpipe CEL
Extreme Powerhouse

03-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #1
335kc
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

Catless downpipe CEL

How long does it usually take for the CEL to come up after installation?
I had it installed on Thursday. Definitely drove close to 80-100 miles. Still no CEL.

I have bm3 mppsk tune installed on the car before the install on my b58 fyi.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #2
im_an_alien
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Doesn't bm3 inhibit the CEL associated with catless dp? You shouldn't be getting a CEL, not sure why you want one...
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 03:12 PM   #3
335kc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_an_alien View Post
Doesn't bm3 inhibit the CEL associated with catless dp? You shouldn't be getting a CEL, not sure why you want one...
I don’t want the CEL. I’m just wondering because I’m expecting a CEL to pop up and I was preparing for a re-tune. I didn’t know tuning first before installing the dp would automatically prevent the CEL from popping up as I’m new to this platform
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335kc View Post
I don’t want the CEL. I’m just wondering because I’m expecting a CEL to pop up and I was preparing for a re-tune. I didn’t know tuning first before installing the dp would automatically prevent the CEL from popping up as I’m new to this platform
I think BM3 default for stage 2 is to remove the CEL associated with catalyst efficiency since stage 2 "requires" an aftermarket DP be installed and nearly all produce a CEL, but you can confirm in your BM3 options/flash configuration. In MHD for example you check as box as to whether or not you have an OEM/catted DP, and that determines whether or not you get the CEL.

I'm not sure what you mean by "preparing for a re-tune"

You can always scan for codes, see if you have any shadow codes, and/or check your emission monitor, would would be INCOMPLETE / not ready for the cat, if you have driven enough of the drive cycle for the DME to determine that.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 05:12 PM   #5
335kc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I think BM3 default for stage 2 is to remove the CEL associated with catalyst efficiency since stage 2 "requires" an aftermarket DP be installed and nearly all produce a CEL, but you can confirm in your BM3 options/flash configuration. In MHD for example you check as box as to whether or not you have an OEM/catted DP, and that determines whether or not you get the CEL.

I'm not sure what you mean by "preparing for a re-tune"

You can always scan for codes, see if you have any shadow codes, and/or check your emission monitor, would would be INCOMPLETE / not ready for the cat, if you have driven enough of the drive cycle for the DME to determine that.
Preparing for a re-flash if the CEL comes up, but i guess i dont have to do anything now since nothing came up so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #6
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I'm assuming you have the CEL disabled in the BM3 tune then? With my VRSF catted DP, I got the CEL on every drive. Went to the ER DP, and no CEL. Catless I'd expect every time you drive since the lower O2 will ALWAYS see an issue since it's detecting O2 that the cats should have pulled out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 08:06 PM   #7
335kc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
I'm assuming you have the CEL disabled in the BM3 tune then? With my VRSF catted DP, I got the CEL on every drive. Went to the ER DP, and no CEL. Catless I'd expect every time you drive since the lower O2 will ALWAYS see an issue since it's detecting O2 that the cats should have pulled out.
Yep, I am just going to assume is the bm3 tune doing its thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #8
335kc
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
Actually just double-check my bm3 mppsk tune, setting for cat monitor is on OEM which means CEL should pop up. I just find it very weird how it isn't coming up.

Currently running an ER catless dp btw.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:56 PM   #9
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335kc View Post
Actually just double-check my bm3 mppsk tune, setting for cat monitor is on OEM which means CEL should pop up. I just find it very weird how it isn't coming up.

Currently running an ER catless dp btw.
Scan for codes and check your emission monitors. It might just be a shadow code (for now). You may not have completed the drive cycle necessary to throw the code.
Appreciate 0