BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY/NJ/PA/CT > Renew registration after moving?

04-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Jack yang
Private First Class
China
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Renew registration after moving?

I have moved to NYC for a couple month and I am planning to live in Jersey City for the next few month. My M2 was purchased, registered in CA. Do I have to pay the title and registration fee again in NY/NJ? I heard from others that it is unnecessary to pay and drive legally.
The reason why I asked is that I have not renewed my title and registration this year. So what is the most cost effective way?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
.Tranceparent.
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack yang View Post
I have moved to NYC for a couple month and I am planning to live in Jersey City for the next few month. My M2 was purchased, registered in CA. Do I have to pay the title and registration fee again in NY/NJ? I heard from others that it is unnecessary to pay and drive legally.
The reason why I asked is that I have not renewed my title and registration this year. So what is the most cost effective way?
Repping Jersey City. Let's take a Sunday drive once you settle in.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
Jack yang
Private First Class
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Tranceparent. View Post
Repping Jersey City. Let's take a Sunday drive once you settle in.
Cool!
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:05 PM   #4
2020m2c
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:

Well, they say everything is legal in Jersey as long as you don't get caught...

Every cop / jurisdiction is different in NY, but if they see an out of state plate in the same place repeatedly and/or issue you tickets they can also give you a hard time about not registering. Technically you are supposed to reg with NY. Registrations are good for two years. Registration renewals for cars are generally less than $200, even less if you don't have custom plates etc.

However, if you buy a new car they charge you 8% or so sales tax at the DMV depending on your county of residence. You won't pay this just bringing your existing car to NY.

You also have to get an annual safety / emissions inspection for like $10.

My neighbor kept his Alaska plates on his car for about five years. However, he is military and was able to get away with it. I don't recall him ever being hassled about it.

From the NY DMV:

Do I need to register my vehicle in New York State?
It depends

- if you aren't a resident of New York, the registration from your state of residence is valid here
- if you move to New York and become a resident, you must register your vehicle here within 30 days of becoming a resident (moving)
- if you are a resident of New York and you get a vehicle from another state which you will be driving on New York State roadways, you must register the vehicle here within 30 days
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 04:28 PM   #5
Jack yang
Private First Class
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020m2c View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Well, they say everything is legal in Jersey as long as you don't get caught...

Every cop / jurisdiction is different in NY, but if they see an out of state plate in the same place repeatedly and/or issue you tickets they can also give you a hard time about not registering. Technically you are supposed to reg with NY. Registrations are good for two years. Registration renewals for cars are generally less than $200, even less if you don't have custom plates etc.

However, if you buy a new car they charge you 8% or so sales tax at the DMV depending on your county of residence. You won't pay this just bringing your existing car to NY.

You also have to get an annual safety / emissions inspection for like $10.

My neighbor kept his Alaska plates on his car for about five years. However, he is military and was able to get away with it. I don't recall him ever being hassled about it.

From the NY DMV:

Do I need to register my vehicle in New York State?
It depends

- if you aren't a resident of New York, the registration from your state of residence is valid here
- if you move to New York and become a resident, you must register your vehicle here within 30 days of becoming a resident (moving)
- if you are a resident of New York and you get a vehicle from another state which you will be driving on New York State roadways, you must register the vehicle here within 30 days
What does it mean to be a "resident", maybe having a kk/ny liscence?
Second, so I need to pay the reg renew fee in nj and get a new plate?
Thanks for answering
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
iWayne
///M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Are you saying you're moving to NY but will be living in NJ for three months temporarily?

Nj under COVID-19 is allowing out of state drivers up to 120 days (search this and verify independently) to get nj license/registration/plates.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:54 PM   #7
Jack yang
Private First Class
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWayne View Post
Are you saying you're moving to NY but will be living in NJ for three months temporarily?

Nj under COVID-19 is allowing out of state drivers up to 120 days (search this and verify independently) to get nj license/registration/plates.
Actually six month:
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 06:56 AM   #8
iWayne
///M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Police might pull you over if they notice out of state plates and may give you a citation or perhaps a warning. NJ License/Registration fees prob would be 100-200 area.

Your decision ultimately
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 08:58 AM   #9
Jack yang
Private First Class
China
Rep

Quote:
Police might pull you over if they notice out of state plates and may give you a citation or perhaps a warning. NJ License/Registration fees prob would be 100-200 area.

Your decision ultimately
Got it. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 10:49 AM   #10
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

Quote:

Your decision ultimately
Wrong. It is not PC or warranted to pull someone over for an out of state plate if no violation is committed. One small mistake though and yes you can be stopped.

@OP: I have all my cars but one FL registered and all are in NJ. Never had an issue ever. However, I do not street park in JC or NYC often.
      04-16-2021, 02:57 PM   #11
Jack yang
Private First Class
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C-NLUSA View Post
Wrong. It is not PC or warranted to pull someone over for an out of state plate if no violation is committed. One small mistake though and yes you can be stopped.

@OP: I have all my cars but one FL registered and all are in NJ. Never had an issue ever. However, I do not street park in JC or NYC often.
I asked DMV today. What I got is this:
Yes you can be stopped by police because of CA plate and sticker, but as long as you are visiting here but do not live here. You are fine. So that means the police can check your liscence. In my case, I have a CA liscence, so I can say I live in CA and I am visiting my friends here.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2021, 03:00 PM   #12
Jack yang
Private First Class
China
Rep

Based on what Ca DMV told me today, I find out switching liscence and reg is never easy.
You basically have to pay the reg here in NJ/NY again and ask for CA DMV for a refund by mail!! And mailing is never an efficient option.
Appreciate 0