BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
Technical Sections Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

09-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW g05

What is everyone's opinion on the sound of the valvetronic mid pipe and the R44 race catback. Im leaning towards the R44 exhaust! The r44 is only like 2 grand more and I would get carbon tips! I also do not plan on adding down pipes either!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:22 AM   #2
KevinMO91
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3 Comp Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann88 View Post
What is everyone's opinion on the sound of the valvetronic mid pipe and the R44 race catback. Im leaning towards the R44 exhaust! The r44 is only like 2 grand more and I would get carbon tips! I also do not plan on adding down pipes either!
If this is going to be your only exhaust mod go for it. I don't think the car needs a full catback, a mid pipe would more then suffice to increase the sound. I personally got the valvetronic (still waiting for it to come in sadly) and the VSC-2 valve controller which I think is the best options for exhaust on this car.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep

Yeah its going to be my only exhaust mods. I have many mods on order for the rest of the car lol. I like the r44 because of the tips and factory valve and the fact I won't have to cut as much on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 08:43 PM   #4
Medal
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Garage List
Just FYI and for what it's worth, I needed my car to sound louder, but not obnoxious, and since this is my first M3, I wanted to be safe and not blow tons of money (to me that is). Today I stopped by my local exhaust shop, had them remove both resonators and replace with straight pipe, and it's amazing. I don't have a sound clip yet, but will tomorrow….cost, just under $300.
Attached Images

m20e30871150.00
Vic5519365.00
      09-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medal View Post
Just FYI and for what it's worth, I needed my car to sound louder, but not obnoxious, and since this is my first M3, I wanted to be safe and not blow tons of money (to me that is). Today I stopped by my local exhaust shop, had them remove both resonators and replace with straight pipe, and it's amazing. I don't have a sound clip yet, but will tomorrow….cost, just under $300.
Looking forward to the sound clip!! Does it sound raspy or tiney at all?!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmermann88 View Post
Quote:
Looking forward to the sound clip!! Does it sound raspy or tiney at all?!
Mayyybe at the higher rpms? Though I'm pre-break in, so not going over 4K. Though take that with a grain of salt; this possible raspy and when I really think of raspy…absolutely not. It is not annoying whatsoever to my 39 year old ears…though I'm deaf from the Marines and slightly stupid from it as well.

I'm a junior exec for a bank in Boston…I in no way want to draw negative attention to myself and look and sound like a 16 y/o in a 2001 Honda…so when I say it's sounds good, it does. Can you get louder, absolutely, and I will consider a down pipe and/or slip on like Remus or Akraproic down the line, but what I love is the burbles, increase in bass-I-ness with valves open, and like-stock quietness with valves closed…plus, under $300 so if I want to change something it didn't break the bank.

Ok rant over.

EDIT: my typing was drunk and needed to go home. Fixed it and made this more understandable
      09-20-2021, 11:48 PM   #7
RockinPA
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '22 Mexico Blue G80 xDrive, '2

Garage List
Quote:
Haha! I did this to my F80. Removed secondary cats w some simple cut and weld pipe done by my local exhaust shop. It sounded awesome!
Can't wait to hear it on your G80!
Appreciate 1
Medal483.00
      09-21-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
Medal
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hey all, so here are a few videos…bare with me, as I had to do it alone so I did my best. I also added a second pic of the removed section of exhaust with the resonators to show how long it was. I didn’t have a tap measure on me, so used the measure app on my phone, but I use it all the time and it’s accurate. Also, my settings for these videos are this:

M1 Button ON:

Exhaust Valve OPEN
Transmission: D2
Engine: Sport Plus
Chassis: Sport Plus
Steering: Comfort
Brakes: Sport

M1 Button OFF:

Everything at the lowest setting, e.g. comfort, efficient, exhaust valve closed

Cold Start - Open and Closed Exhaust Valve:

Warm Start - Open and Closed Exhaust Valve:

Warm Engine, Exhaust Burbles, M1 ON, D2 Transmission Setting: