E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > sync your itunes playlist with your USB drive

11-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
ruthlessbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i Sedan(Sports+ipod)

Garage List
sync your itunes playlist with your USB drive

Hi... I own an 335i with the USB/ipod port. My ipod died last week and was looking at utilizing a USB drive for music instead of buying another ipod. My ipod had always been attached to the USB port even when it was parked out in the hot sun and I guess that was the reason it died. One of the main reason of going for a USB drive was cause its cheaper to replace. Also by playing your music through your USB drive the car's amp directly processes the music which gives a better sound [http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161120].

Since I had used iTunes to manage my music and playlists I did not want to loose all that. I still wanted to use iTunes to manage my music and find a utility that could just sync the music to my USB drive.

I came across the program "iTunes Export M3U Playist Exporter" at EricDaugherty.com. It's a very nice utility, but it does not do what I exactly wanted. It tends to copy all the songs in each playlist to a seperate folder with the playlist name and the playlist is stored in that particular folder. So if 2 songs are in two seperate playlists, then there will be duplicates. It also does not maintain the same folder structure that iTunes does (I have checked the option to let iTunes organize my folder structure under Preferences->Advanced). Luckily the author has also released the source code for free. He has done an amazing job.

These were the changes I was looking for:
1. The music should not be copied under the playlist name, but it should maintain the folder structure that iTunes created taking the output folder as the root. This is to prevent duplicating songs that appear in different playlists.
2. The playlist should be stored in the root output folder selected instead of the folder with the playlist name.
3. iTunes tends to prepend the Disc Number and Track Number to the filename which I wanted to strip out while copying it to my USB drive. The main reason for this was that it is much easier to find a song in the 2 line system display when those numbers are not prepended (I do not have the iDrive).

So I added a new option that does the above 3 things. It has been working great, but I still need to test it. If anyone is interested in this program and if the author has no issues with me posting both the source code and program here, then I would post the program here once it's complete (hopefully by this weekend). So let me know if anyone is interested in it.

EDIT: Check post #15 for the latest file.

Last edited by ruthlessbmw; 10-27-2011 at 08:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #2
Alias
dork
Rep
Drives: //M

Im interested
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
dpb123
Registered
Rep
Drives: aa

hey i'm intrested ....
but i don't have a bmw ... so do you think those playlist will work in a sony xplod stereo??
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:40 AM   #4
d_dot
4 * General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F12 M6,Audi R8 Lambo Gallardo

can i get a copy of the updated program?
      12-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #5
ruthlessbmw
Private
Rep

Garage List
Sorry for the delay in posting the program. I currently use this to sync music with my USB drive and it works fine. This is a modified version of "iTunes Export M3U Playist Exporter" at EricDaugherty.com. I have included both the application and the source.

On step 3:
Selecting "Vehicle USB Port" will select the options "Maintain iTunes Folder Structure" (If you have selected iTunes to arrange your music, it will keep the same folder structure on your USB stick) and "Copy Music to Common Location" (Rather than copying all MP3's to a folder with the playList name, it will arrange the music in the same way as iTunes thus avoiding duplicate copies.).

Selecting "Strip Disc Number and Track Number" will strip the Disc Number and Track Number from the filename. This makes it easier to search for your song if you do not have iDrive.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: zip iTunes Export.zip (111.5 KB, 1977 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
ruthlessbmw
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpb123 View Post
hey i'm intrested ....
but i don't have a bmw ... so do you think those playlist will work in a sony xplod stereo??
I have only tried it out on my 335i. Do let me know if it works on the Sony xplod.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #7
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

Is your music all in a format compabile with 6FL? I.e. MP3 will work great. But Apple Lossless, or ANY music you've purchased from the iTunes store, will NOT play from a USB drive in 6FL.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
Is your music all in a format compabile with 6FL? I.e. MP3 will work great. But Apple Lossless, or ANY music you've purchased from the iTunes store, will NOT play from a USB drive in 6FL.
Wow I just recently experienced that! Any work arounds???
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2008, 09:10 PM   #9
ruthlessbmw
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Wow I just recently experienced that! Any work arounds???
Music from iTunes have DRM protection in them. That is the reason you cannot play those files. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FairPlay

There are stores like Amazon that sells DRM free music online.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by ruthlessbmw; 12-16-2008 at 01:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 09:59 PM   #10
bradpinkston
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

This update to iTunes export is perfect for what I'd like to do. Have you updated it with the iTunes export v1.5 code? I'm having issues with the export due to long filenames.

Thanks,
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #11
ruthlessbmw
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradpinkston View Post
This update to iTunes export is perfect for what I'd like to do. Have you updated it with the iTunes export v1.5 code? I'm having issues with the export due to long filenames.

Thanks,
I have made some minor updates to the above code, but I have not yet updated the code to version 1.5. I'll post it when it's done.

Currently when I play my mp3 via a USB drive, it only displays the filename. This is also true when I play a playlist. I have modified the code to write the extended M3U playlist as shown on WIKI - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3U.

Quote:
#EXTM3U

#EXTINF:123,Sample title
C:\Documents and Settings\I\My Music\Sample.mp3

#EXTINF:321,Example title
C:\Documents and Settings\I\My Music\Greatest Hits\Example.ogg
Although it recognizes the extended playlist it still won't display the song name from the ID3 tag or the extended info from the playlist.

Can anyone help me out as to how to make the headunit display the track name from either the ID3 tag or from the extended playlist info?

Update: I did find some information here... but need to try it out.

Last edited by ruthlessbmw; 02-06-2009 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #12
bradpinkston
Registered
Rep

Would you mind uploading, or PM'ing me the structure of your m3u files and where you are putting them? I am having no luck with the playlists appearing. Will they only appear after the drive is indexed?

I'm also having no luck with the files finishing indexing and showing the artist/genre/etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #13
bradpinkston
Registered
Rep

Are you using m4a files also?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
ruthlessbmw
Private
Rep

Garage List
I did merge the changes with version 1.5 last night. I haven't had time to test the merge. I'll post the BETA later tonight.

I am currently using an OCZ Diesel 16GB USB drive. I plug the drive directly to the port (because of its small size) without using the USB cable.

If I copy my music using the directory structure maintained by iTunes (artist/album/song) with the playlist in the USB drive root, the first song starts playing after around 3 to 5 minutes from the time I insert my key. The playlist options takes 10+ minutes to appear.

If I copy my music files and playlist to the USB drive root, the first song starts playing immediately and the playlist options takes around 3 to 5 minutes to appear from the time I insert my key.

Quote:
Would you mind uploading, or PM'ing me the structure of your m3u files and where you are putting them? I am having no luck with the playlists appearing. Will they only appear after the drive is indexed?

I'm also having no luck with the files finishing indexing and showing the artist/genre/etc.
I will PM it tonight. I keep all my playlists in the USB drive root.

Quote:
Are you using m4a files also?
No.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2009, 10:42 PM   #15
ruthlessbmw
Private
Rep

Garage List
iTunesExport v1.5

This is a BETA version of the program merged with the original program code version 1.5. Please let me know if you have any issues.

I'll try to get this done and release the code this weekend.

Any new enhancements requests are welcomed.

Note: I tried writing the extended M3U playlist, but it looks like BMW does not really read the extended information. Hence I removed that feature.
Attached Files
File Type: zip iTunesExport.zip (290.3 KB, 1366 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2009, 10:45 AM   #16
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpb123 View Post
hey i'm intrested ....
ok I know stupid question BUT if you don't own a BMW why would you sign up for a BMW forum don't get me wrong not asking you to leave just being curious in my own douche bag way
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
JDR2010
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

@ruthlessbmw - have you made any additional updates to the program? Would you be willing to share the latest source code? I noticed there are some unhandled excetion scenarios I'd like to clean up.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 11:00 AM   #18
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
I'm not sure if this will help at all, but here is what I noticed regarding iTunes. I now have a Kenwood DNX9960 with USB. I never had USB from the factory, so I can't comment on AAC files bought from iTunes being played on that. Also, I havent tried to play the purchased songs on my Kenwood. What I did do was open up an album purchased on iTunes in iTunes, highlighted all the songs that were purchased, then clicked "advanced", then "create AAC version". These new files play fin on the Kenwood, but I'm not sure if that removed copy protection or if the copy protected songs would have played on the Kenwood before doing that conversion in iTunes. Only one way to find out I guess...stay tuned lol
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2010, 11:29 AM   #19
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

ok, so the Kenwood DNX9960 plays protected AAC files via USB just in case anyone wanted to know ...
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 06:50 PM   #20
Morpheus
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Titanium Silver

I used a program called sound taxi to strip the itunes protection. converted them to more lossy mp3s though. Still lossy is better than nothing.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:10 AM   #21
iRomain
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Cabriolet - 362cv

Hey ruthlessbmw,

I just wanted to thank you for tweaking this program and sharing the result!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #22
HotTuna70
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2011 328i Xdrive

This was SO helpful!! Thank you very much!! I downloaded the zip file, ran the executable and the rest went through without a hitch. I now have my itunes playlists, along with the song file structure, on my USB flash drive and playing through the stereo of my new 2011 328xi.

One wish would be to have the software 'magically' adjust the playback volume to make all songs the same/consistent....sort of like iTunes does....when saved to the flash drive.

Question....can I safely leave my flash drive inserted in my USB port 24x7x365 without fear of draining my car battery when the vehicle is not in use?

Thanks folks!
Appreciate 0