F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Battery not charging properly (Charging only ~60%)
proTUNING Freaks

12-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
Tuerkay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

Battery not charging properly (Charging only ~60%)

Hey All,

since there is more activity in the F30 section than the F20 and both cars are kinda similar, i hope someone here can help me.

While my F20 pre-LCI (2012) is working (mostly) without issues, i realized that my battery only charges to around 60% for the last few months. Car has an IBS sensor and therefore should normaly keep the battery at around 80%, which it did until September. since then, checking my history i saw that it kept charging less from time to time and for the last month it wouldnīt go higher than 65%.
the battery (Exide EK800) is only 2 years old, so i donīt really think that itīs about to die. new battery was registered with ISTA when i changed it and ISTA also showed the milage of that exchange. If i check ISTA now, it shows that no battery change was registered ever...

could it be that now, since no exchange is registered, that FEM thinks the battery is to old and therefore doesnīt charge it properly?

when i use my car, i normally drive around 100km that day. before i was driving less and the battery still charged to 80%.

hope someone can help
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 01:43 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

If it wasn't registered when installed the car would have been overcharging it, as it increases the charge as the battery ages. It could be a defective battery. What is the warranty period?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 04:43 PM   #3
Tuerkay
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20

defective battery might indeed be possible.
once the battery voltage dropped to 5V after not using the car for 3 days. i recharged the battery and did an leakage test but couldnīt find any issues.
the alternator was checked around august this year, after my car started making squeaking noises on every cold start.
i bought the battery on mai 2019 and i think the seller told me it has 2 years warranty. the exide homepage however write 3 years, so iīll check that tomorrow.

edit: contacted the seller. 2 Years Warranty (+1-2 Month good will). In my case iīm out of luck. Gonna try recharging the battery and watch it.

Last edited by Tuerkay; 12-03-2021 at 04:25 AM..
Appreciate 0