F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Shattered piston / engine failure
Studio RSR

12-12-2021, 10:56 PM   #1
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 N20

Shattered piston / engine failure

My N20 blew up pretty spectacularly a couple months ago at Sonoma Raceway. I finally got it apart. It appears the #4 piston is no longer there. Connecting rod and wrist pin are still there, along with all the valves. There's quite a bit of damage to the head, and the piston shards took out the oil pump on the way out the bottom. Incredibly this did not send a rod through the block.

The engine "seemed" to be running fine until I lifted off the throttle at around 6900-7000 RPM. At that point the oil pan cracked, spilling oil and sending my car into a spin at 100mph. Luckily this happened at the beginning of a turn instead of the end, so I was able to bleed off a lot of speed before hitting the wall.

What kind of failure causes this?

1. Detonation?
2. Interference?
3. ?? something else?
4. All of the above?

A quick google search seems to imply this is an interference issue, though the chain seemed fine and the chain guides didn't look worn, and definitely weren't broken. I figure if it was piston to valve interference, then the valves would have popped off - but maybe not?

When I got detonation before, I would see cracked ring landings on two cylinders - not sure why it was always two. Here, it's one fully destroyed piston, and as far as I can tell, the others are fine. I should go remove the rings from the remaining pistons and see if any chunks fall out.

This event did happen after I retuned, but my tuning changed involved adding boost at low RPM - 3000-3750 RPM. I am up to 21psi in that range on a stock bottom end with ARP rod bolts. This failure occurred at 7000 RPM, though I suppose the damage could have started earlier?

I do bang off the rev limiter quite a bit, though it didn't happen on this lap.

Main bearings and rod bearings looked great. This is after a year of racing with an accusump.

Anything else I should look at?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
DG330
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330

Keen to know what you're running to cause something like this? HP? Stage, mods?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 07:41 PM   #3
ScottSmith
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 N20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG330 View Post
Keen to know what you're running to cause something like this? HP? Stage, mods?
(Pinky to lips) 2 HUNDRED horsepower! Really it's not that much. I wasn't even running that much torque (under 300 ft lbs).

It doesn't use a stock ECU (Link G4+), custom tuned. If the answer is "your timing sucks" so be it, at least I can fix that. Lambda target under 0.80. No mass air meter, ARP rod bolts instead of stock, catless downpipe, custom exhaust. Motor internals are stock, though the motor is a rebuild from previous detonation. I used the thinner head gasket but didn't have the block or head decked. Maybe I reused a piston I shouldn't have, and it finally let go?
Appreciate 0