BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-02-2022, 03:01 PM   #1
Spiewakov
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22' M3 FDG & 22 X3M BG

X3MC LCI vs. M3 Base

I currently own an X3MC LCI and I have an M3 Base individual Frozen Dark Grey on order since January. The car is finally set to begin production in about a month and I have to make the decision to keep the x3m and sell m3 base or trade in x3m and keep the m3 base. I know this is based on preference and will be my decision, but I do value the forum members opinions and think it will help me come up with my own decision. Here are some of my thoughts:

X3M COMP
Pros
-Sits Higher
-Remote start (Doesnt come with m3 manual)
-21" rims
-Bigger screen
-More boot space
-Slightly faster than m3 base
-AWD

M3 BASE
Pros
-Manual (this may be a con to some people but I do love owning a manual car)
-Frozen individual color (my favorite bmw color is the frozen dark grey)
-Longer (I believe the m3 is longer but not sure if it adds more *******
-More rare (much easier to get an x3m vs m3)
-Depreciation (The above makes the depreciation on this vehicle better)
-Smoother ride (X3MC is so harsh)

Now for some background on my situation-
I am in South eastern PA so we do get snow a few times a year, but I do have a ranger rover Velar that my wife drives, so this m3 or x3m will be my daily. I also have a 1 year old and live in the suburbs. Also not sure if it would make sense to see if I can switch the M3 to the comp X...and if I can even change an individual order?

So basically my question is if you were in my shoes what would you choose and why would you make that decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
Waterbelly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp

I am trading my X3M Comp in for an M3 Comp this week. Live in MA, so a bit more snow, but similarly have other SUVs in the family to use if it is too ugly out. But will daily drive the M3.

I see it as basically getting the same car, just a bit smaller and lighter. The M3 base is a little different - I like AWD.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2022, 12:58 PM   #3
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

Never owned an X3M, but I vote for the M3. If you have an individual order approved, you're not going to be able to make changes (i.e., chassis or color). You'd need to abandon the current allocation and start over.
      05-05-2022, 01:07 PM   #4
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

I currently have both an X3M and M3XC. Family with 2 kids and live in NY. We like both but the M3 is a lot more fun. I don't plan to drive in snow but did put on AS because with a family you just never know. If you aren't planning on putting on winter tires that would be my only concern.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
Slv
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

I'd go with M3, even if I prefer AWD and automatic gearboxes. I just dislike SUVs in general
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2022, 02:08 PM   #6
toolband66
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 G80

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiewakov View Post
I currently own an X3MC LCI and I have an M3 Base individual Frozen Dark Grey on order since January. The car is finally set to begin production in about a month and I have to make the decision to keep the x3m and sell m3 base or trade in x3m and keep the m3 base. I know this is based on preference and will be my decision, but I do value the forum members opinions and think it will help me come up with my own decision. Here are some of my thoughts:

X3M COMP
Pros
-Sits Higher
-Remote start (Doesnt come with m3 manual)
-21" rims
-Bigger screen
-More boot space
-Slightly faster than m3 base
-AWD

M3 BASE
Pros
-Manual (this may be a con to some people but I do love owning a manual car)
-Frozen individual color (my favorite bmw color is the frozen dark grey)
-Longer (I believe the m3 is longer but not sure if it adds more *******
-More rare (much easier to get an x3m vs m3)
-Depreciation (The above makes the depreciation on this vehicle better)
-Smoother ride (X3MC is so harsh)

Now for some background on my situation-
I am in South eastern PA so we do get snow a few times a year, but I do have a ranger rover Velar that my wife drives, so this m3 or x3m will be my daily. I also have a 1 year old and live in the suburbs. Also not sure if it would make sense to see if I can switch the M3 to the comp X...and if I can even change an individual order?

So basically my question is if you were in my shoes what would you choose and why would you make that decision.
I have a 22' M3 base and absolutely love it. In my opinion, there is so much more history there to say you own an M3. Not just an M car, but an M3. I love driving a manual, and in inclement weather I want control of the engine. Cool factor is of no comparison. I have three girls and it's still a good family car. I also just in general don't like SUV's lol
      05-06-2022, 08:58 AM   #7
Spiewakov
Private First Class
Rep

Thank you all for your opinion. So zero votes for x3m!! Guess M3 it is haha. I secretly wanted this decision but needed some push!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2022, 07:01 PM   #8
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

If you really want a MT then go for the M3 base, no brainer. However if the transmission isn't a factor, easily go for the X3Mc. It's objectively better in almost every metric.

Also it's not more rare. Believe it or not, they've already made twice as many M3 base models as they have X3M in just two years.
Appreciate 3
      05-08-2022, 10:09 PM   #9
PabstBleuRibbon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

I test drove (and considered) both, a barely-used M3 base and a new '22 X3MC. I decided to go with the X3MC as it's that much more practical for a daily, the added utility is hard to deny over the manual sedan. Also it's the closest to an M3 wagon we can get here (my dream car), and the spec of the X3MC I ended up in matched my preferences a lot more than what was available for M3s. It's a hilariously fast ride, really fun to drive.
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2022, 10:35 AM   #10
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

I've read from many test drivers the ride is brutal with the X4M Comp, hence why I would not consider it, especially when you can get xDrive with the M3 now.
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 1
      05-15-2022, 01:57 PM   #11
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
If you're considering the X3M, why not consider the AWD M3? Sure you lose on the manual gearbox, but you gain AWD for winter. I test drove an X3M and the ride was definitely very stiff. No point in having two SUVs in the house. I'd go for the xDrive M3 personally (it's what I did, and I was in the same boat)
      05-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #12
50shadesofhockenheim
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Toyota Prius

Depreciation and horrible gas mileage on the X is enough in my opinion to go for the M3
Appreciate 1
      05-16-2022, 11:27 AM   #13
Spiewakov
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM.PWR View Post
If you're considering the X3M, why not consider the AWD M3? Sure you lose on the manual gearbox, but you gain AWD for winter. I test drove an X3M and the ride was definitely very stiff. No point in having two SUVs in the house. I'd go for the xDrive M3 personally (it's what I did, and I was in the same boat)
I already have an individual order for the M3 manual. I don't believe I can change it to x drive now even though it has not gone into production yet. It is status 112 as of right now. I chose the manual because the automatics are just not engaging enough for me. But it probably isn't the responsible choice since its not awd.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 11:28 AM   #14
Spiewakov
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassComp View Post
I've read from many test drivers the ride is brutal with the X4M Comp, hence why I would not consider it, especially when you can get xDrive with the M3 now.
I have the X3M comp now, and the ride is pretty harsh. But I honestly don't mind a harsh ride. It's my wife who cares
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 11:31 AM   #15
MMM.PWR
Sith Lord
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80X, Mazda 3 6MT (daily)

Garage List
Quote:
I already have an individual order for the M3 manual. I don't believe I can change it to x drive now even though it has not gone into production yet. It is status 112 as of right now. I chose the manual because the automatics are just not engaging enough for me. But it probably isn't the responsible choice since its not awd.
enjoy rowing the gears, don't change the order. for me, I needed AWD and while my wife won't be driving it, she can in an emergency.
      05-16-2022, 11:56 AM   #16
MassComp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan GTS

Quote:
I have the X3M comp now, and the ride is pretty harsh. But I honestly don't mind a harsh ride. It's my wife who cares
All I can say is I considered an X4M Comp a couple years ago to replace my first Macan GTS. I admit I was tempted by the 503 hp.

Then after reading & watching the X4M reviews and all saying the ride was brutal, I ended up going back to my Porsche dealership and ordered another GTS.
3/19/22: Deposit placed on MY2023 Skyscraper Grey M3 Comp xDrive / 6/08/22: Dealer order placed - Status 047 / 6/25/22: Added Full Leather / 8/05/22: Received Allocation & Added Personal eSIM 5G / 09/18/22: Asked Dealership to Add M Drive Professional to My Build and They Canceled My Order
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 05:28 PM   #17
RColwell
Canada
Rep
Drives: 22 X3M Comp

I think it depends on what your needs are. Without requiring a capable 'all-weather' vehicle or storage space for dogs or kids, the obvious choice is the G80 MT. I have driven a base G80 and quite enjoyed it but you absolutely have to modify the exhaust as it is barely audible over the piped in engine noise.

However, after recently owning a F80 MT, a Panamera 4S Sports Tourismo, and a F97 X3M, I can say that the X3M was by far the most enjoyable vehicle in shit (snowy) weather. Which is why I ordered another X3M. Completely disengaging traction control in M Sport AWD in the F97 allowed for the easiest drifting experience. Most people wouldn't consider the ability to winter drift as a selling feature but having terrible road conditions from November to March ruins the enjoyment and drivability of low sports cars.

Now if I lived in a moderate US climate as opposed to Canada, I would never consider a SUV as the driving dynamics and seating position cannot compete. You cannot get the seat low enough to hide the fact that you are in a SUV in a X3M. An AWD wagon is the solution to everyone's problems but BMW sucks and won't give North America the G80 Touring.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:14 PM   #18
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
I had an F80 for six years and recently moved to an X3MC LCI this past August. With one kid, the sedan platform was MORE than enough space. But having two growing kids, I needed the extra trunk space, which was the only motivation for me to move to the F97.

If trunk space wasn't an issue, I would've easily gone for the G80. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the F97 for all that it does. It's ridiculously fast and handles well for a heavy car on stilts; and no it doesn't ride "hard" (and if you think it does then you wear a little girls blouse). But for all of its capabilities, physics is a cruel bitch and the F97 will never feel as sure-footed or planted like a sedan/coupe.

You already mentioned that you had an SUV in the family. There is absolutely no reason why you'd need two. Get the G8x, close this thread, and start looking towards mods.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 2
2011ninja3396.00
      08-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #19
witha_k
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

Purchased a x3m comp lci 2 weeks ago over a manual m3, really wanted the m3 but since it would be my only vehicle and we get quite a bit of snow in NJ i figured I'd be better off with the x3m and honestly I'm happy i choose the x3m. Puts a smile on my face every time i start it up and i prefer a higher ride. In your position i would take the m3 because your wife already has a suv.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2022, 03:45 PM   #20
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
I own a manual 2021 M4 manual and drive it year round in Canada. With snow tires it is a great winter driver, one of the best cars I’ve owned in winter.

The X3M with AWD and snow tires would obviously be more capable but the manual with snow tires is excellent.