BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

05-09-2022, 12:56 PM   #1
Cosworthstag
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4 G80

M4 or M8?

Ordered a M4 which had build confirmed for delivery back on April. Still waiting on new dates so started to look around.

Being new to BMW wanted to ask the experts. Do I stick and wait it out. Basically the car ordered had every box ticked £100k or $125k build.

Have seen a M8 off the shelf £20k discount. What would you guys do.?

The M4 was to replace AMG GT 63s 4 door which I found a little too big and is sold as offered good price and the original April delivery.

This car is to be used as DD mostly winter and when needed 4 seats but 95% of the time just me. Have F8 Spider for summer days and track.
Attached Images

05-09-2022, 01:32 PM   #2
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

M8.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #3
unfoundnemo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosworthstag View Post
Ordered a M4 which had build confirmed for delivery back on April. Still waiting on new dates so started to look around.

Being new to BMW wanted to ask the experts. Do I stick and wait it out. Basically the car ordered had every box ticked £100k or $125k build.

The M4 was to replace AMG GT 63s 4 door which I found a little too big and is sold as offered good price and the original April delivery.

This car is to be used as DD mostly winter and when needed 4 seats but 95% of the time just me. Have F8 Spider for summer days and track.
Do you have the equivalent of a lease in the UK? If so, you're probably looking at about the same money to lease the two due to the discount on the M8 and how highly spec'd the M4 is.

Anyway, if you found the 4 door AMG GT 63s a little big, make sure you're aware of the size in the M8. Aside from the actual size, the seating position does make the car tend to feel a bit bigger.

For the 5% of the time you need 4 seats... how tall are the people in the back? An average height person could fit comfortably in the M4, but the M8 is severely lacking headroom (and possibly legroom depending on the height of the front passenger). I'm 5'9" and would only sit in the rear of an M8 for emergency/incidental needs as my head would touch the glass easily. My 4'6" 9 year old daughter travels in the car regularly, though. She sits behind me comfortably, and I found myself a comfortable position with the base of the chair slid practically all the way forward. I try to keep that position, or at least a position close to that position even when she's not around so I don't feel disoriented when I make the adjustment.

If the size and space could work for you, it just comes down to your use. If you're often traveling on broad sweeping highways or country roads, absolutely go for the 8... it really is an ultimate GT car and you'll appreciate how quiet it can be, the extra heft also results in some pretty amazing stability at speed for those types of trips. If you're in a tighter area, frequent city streets or overly windy roads... the M4 might be the better choice.
      05-09-2022, 01:38 PM   #4
astroricardo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3Cx TR/Tartufo

I'd go M4 but I can see the allure of the M8. The M4 you spec'd it exactly how you wanted it right? Toronto Red is great, but I'm biased.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2022, 01:41 PM   #5
KnightedBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3C

The GT 63 was too big but you're considering an M8? Based on size alone and how you felt in the Merc, I'd pass on the M8.

Don't get me wrong, the M8 is a sweet car, but its big. Maybe snareman can chime in since he sold his M4 and is waiting on an M8.
      05-09-2022, 02:02 PM   #6
'Cane
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Aventurin/SS G82 xDrive

Garage List
I had a 2020 M8 Competition Coupe, nearly fully loaded (US$159,900 MSRP), that I drove for about 15 months, and I currently have a 2022 M4 Competition Coupe. The M8 is fast and luxurious, but felt like a freight train. The M4 is almost as fast, pretty luxurious, and is a lot more nimble (the steering in the M8 was impossibly heavy). Feel free if you have any questions, but I feel like I made the right choice getting rid of the M8.
Appreciate 4
Vic5519365.00
colo3Kid154.50
      05-09-2022, 02:10 PM   #7
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have a G80X and an M8 GC Comp now --- thoughts from other threads-

This post below was in relation to an M850iX but I translated it slightly

Quote:
I dont have an M850ix but do have an M8 GC Comp and a G80 X Drive-- so this might be a little off vs what you easked but the M850iX is no slouch in performance.

The M8 is a big hammer that sledges and crushes the competition on the expressways and from a dig. Its very rapid in a straight line and can hold its own even with heft in the bigger bends. Its very luxurious inside with alcantara all over. I love it for what it is, a GT Cruiser or Crusher with a very unique look being the widest BMW ever made.

The G80 is the scalpel that out punches in its weight class. The chassis, steering, handling, all are exceptional for its heft and it really is a more fun car to drive and push than the M8's S63tu engine. The S63tu is easily driven fast while the S58 begs to be ripped to the redline. The interior has been bumped up over prior M3/4 iterations and the luxury is closer to the M8 but its still not there.

The M8 is quicker/faster but not as fun to drive and when I get out of one and into the other Im equally impressed. If I could only have one; I wont lie- its the G80. But thats kind of where Im at in my life and what I like to do in regards to real world street driving. Im glad I have both though.

And here are more thoughts

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...88&postcount=9

Quote:
There is another thread that I commented on a while back. Take it with a grain of salt or as an actually owner of both cars (thats empirical) while feel is subjective of course and was pre Xdrive ownership. I stand by the comments although now I have a better launching car but it still wont be as fast as the M8 off the line in the realworld. Sorry it wont as I replicate launches all the time and the G80X still has the weird tq curve only hitting at 3k rpms (this is why the RWD launches so well). But its a few tenths or so difference on the street- which can be reaction time, conditions, tires, etc

snareman

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ighlight=vic55

I honestly still would rather drive my G80 than my F93 but you are looking at a coupe which has different dynamics than the GC. I chose the GC over the coupe because of its unique lines, look overall, and the menacing approach in BSM. Oh I also bought that GC with 1500 miles in Dec of 2020 for 103k with an msrp of 154k. That was the time of the floor of luxury BMW values--- today Ill walk away with a 130k or more on this same car with 4800 miles. I dont know if I would pay 130k for my M8 today with what the amazing G80 S58 brings to the table and its improved luxury inside.

My opine owning both. Its worth saying that Im not as biased as one that may only have one or is really only wanting one and looking for answers to push that bias over the top (not saying this is you Snareman) but Ive witnessed this over and over here on the boards where someone will come to ask thoughts and then get thoughts they didnt want to read.

Bottom line, if you like change, and want a faster GT car, the M8 coupe is solid. This of course, with money being not being an object. I was on hunt for the M8 Coupe but only mildly back in Oct of last year because even with the flagship monies, rebates, and discount, the car was still running around 13X and I just felt at the time I would take a bath on a flip. Then my wholesaler calls me and said he found a guy in a 1 pay lease who didnt want the car and said he would buy it for 100k off him and I could get it for 103k (he needs to make something). 1 day later I was an owner.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 5
'Cane8514.50
02M3ForMe4261.50
      05-09-2022, 02:13 PM   #8
Slv
Poland
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 (G82)

Over the past three years I have driven ca. 90'000 km in my G31 and ca. 50'000 km in G15. 5-er was my daily and I was switching for 8-series whenever my business partner needed to travel with more than 1 passenger.
I was always surprised how very much alike both cars are in terms of how much space you need to foresee for them on the road.
The 8 is huge for a coupe, however active steering makes the car feel smaller and more nimble, even compared to my current G82. If the M8 you can grab has it, it tips the scales in its favour.
The rear seat in G15 is very comfortable if you travel exclusively with children in front-facing seats or legless adults. Being 183 cm tall (6 feet, for those who landed on the moon) I had the pleasure of riding in the back seat of 8-series for 30 minutes. The only possible position was sideways with my back against the armrest and one leg on the seat. Sitting upright behind the passenger who moved the seat as far to the front as possible meant tucking my head between my knees - the roof drops very quickly after the front seats.
Of course there's the V8…
Reasonable decision would be to stick with G82 as a more practical and wallet-friendly choice. At the same time who knows how long pure ICEs will still be available on the market?
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2022, 01:29 AM   #9
Cosworthstag
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slv View Post
Over the past three years I have driven ca. 90'000 km in my G31 and ca. 50'000 km in G15. 5-er was my daily and I was switching for 8-series whenever my business partner needed to travel with more than 1 passenger.
I was always surprised how very much alike both cars are in terms of how much space you need to foresee for them on the road.
The 8 is huge for a coupe, however active steering makes the car feel smaller and more nimble, even compared to my current G82. If the M8 you can grab has it, it tips the scales in its favour.
The rear seat in G15 is very comfortable if you travel exclusively with children in front-facing seats or legless adults. Being 183 cm tall (6 feet, for those who landed on the moon) I had the pleasure of riding in the back seat of 8-series for 30 minutes. The only possible position was sideways with my back against the armrest and one leg on the seat. Sitting upright behind the passenger who moved the seat as far to the front as possible meant tucking my head between my knees - the roof drops very quickly after the front seats.
Reasonable decision would be to stick with G82 as a more practical and wallet-friendly choice. At the same time who knows how long pure ICEs will still be available on the market?
Thanks guys, from what you have said I'm better waiting it out for the M4 it will be more suites to me.
      05-15-2022, 05:28 PM   #10
JEM3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M3 XDrive

For me, if I'm going 2 door coupe and you can wait, the upcoming G87 M2 looks to be promising.

You'll miss out on the AWD for your winter driving, but nothing a set of tires wouldn't fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2022, 01:25 AM   #11
V-Eight
Captain
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3 G80 Comp.Xdrive

I have the fortune to drive both. M3c xdrive and M8 competition coupé (my brother's car). While the M8 is much luxurious, the M3 is definitively more fun to drive, and to me, sounds a lot better too.

BMW G80 M3 Comp.xDrive 2022 + Jaguar F-Pace SVR v8 2022 + BMW F20 M140i RWD 2017
Appreciate 2
BigHunk269.50
      05-16-2022, 03:59 AM   #12
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks guys, from what you have said I'm better waiting it out for the M4 it will be more suites to me.
I was in this boat before my g82. Close to pulling the trigger on m8c.

Stomping the gas the m8 has all that low end power, and more muscle car feel, but the back seat is useless with a person in front, literally the seats touch the back seat.

Its a cruiser and heavy, you're not gonna toss it around.

To me, m8 looked dated now. Not sharp enough lines.
      05-16-2022, 04:02 AM   #13
Cosworthstag
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachBmmr View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I was in this boat before my g82. Close to pulling the trigger on m8c.

Stomping the gas the m8 has all that low end power, and more muscle car feel, but the back seat is useless with a person in front, literally the seats touch the back seat.

Its a cruiser and heavy, you're not gonna toss it around.

To me, m8 looked dated now. Not sharp enough lines.
I've put the M8 to the back of my mind now. Thanks for the input. Totally believe the M4 is the car I need for a DD now from all your comments
      05-16-2022, 07:44 AM   #14
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

My M4 successfully replaced my M5C as a DD, plus ton more fun to drive.
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2022, 01:33 PM   #15
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:

A little late to the party, but I wanted give you some assurance on your decision on the m4. I was in a similar predicament, test drove both the m4 and m8. The rocket acceleration of the m8 was fun for the test drive, but I couldn't really see myself having fun outside of that. The m4 g82 was what I ultimately decided on, just a much more balanced car for... everything honestly. The back seats like some others have said are almost useless in the m8. I've comfortably fit two grown adults in the back of my m4 with me not changing my driving position (I'm 6'3). I'm sure you'll have a blast during the winter and when you need to be a family taxi driver!
Appreciate 1
YamaLink425.00
      06-02-2022, 01:35 PM   #16
Cosworthstag
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
Quote:

A little late to the party, but I wanted give you some assurance on your decision on the m4. I was in a similar predicament, test drove both the m4 and m8. The rocket acceleration of the m8 was fun for the test drive, but I couldn't really see myself having fun outside of that. The m4 g82 was what I ultimately decided on, just a much more balanced car for... everything honestly. The back seats like some others have said are almost useless in the m8. I've comfortably fit two grown adults in the back of my m4 with me not changing my driving position (I'm 6'3). I'm sure you'll have a blast during the winter and when you need to be a family taxi driver!
Thank you for the re assurance. Kept the order in for the M4 and it's currently in build for end of July delivery.
      06-28-2022, 08:14 AM   #17
22M4inMA
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition xDrive

Good Problem to have ;-)
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2022, 11:34 AM   #18
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Update, got another M8 but my thoughts stand as Ive posted quite a bit above.

I do feel the M8 coupe narrows the handling gap vs my prior GC (compared to the G8X)

https://f92.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1949925

Appreciate 2
G-Mann413.00
      08-29-2022, 12:31 PM   #19
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post

I do feel the M8 coupe narrows the handling gap vs my prior GC (compared to the G8X)

holy fuck i need to become you
Appreciate 2
Vic5519365.00
G-Mann413.00
      08-29-2022, 01:48 PM   #20
Nate.G82
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBII G82 6MT

Garage List
2021 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post

Beautiful M8 Coupe, Vic! I agree that the coupe makes it more maneuverable. When I was picking between the two, the M8 I was testing literally looked like that but with the CCB's. It didn't feel as big as it looked, but it definitely felt bigger than the M4. Maybe once I've thrown around the M4 for a while, I'll switch to the M8 Coupe for bullet train power and comfort.

By the way, did you already lower the M8 Coupe? LOL

Edit: Yes you did, just saw your list on the forum!
Appreciate 1
Vic5519365.00
      08-29-2022, 02:10 PM   #21
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate.G82 View Post
Beautiful M8 Coupe, Vic! I agree that the coupe makes it more maneuverable. When I was picking between the two, the M8 I was testing literally looked like that but with the CCB's. It didn't feel as big as it looked, but it definitely felt bigger than the M4. Maybe once I've thrown around the M4 for a while, I'll switch to the M8 Coupe for bullet train power and comfort.

By the way, did you already lower the M8 Coupe? LOL

Edit: Yes you did, just saw your list on the forum!
Yes you can still feel the heft the M8 Coupe even though its only 2 inches longer overall. The steering is also slightly less connected based on my experience but Im used to the EPS on the F9X cars. One thiing I have not mentioned was that the S63tu cars Ive had with X drive launch better with no delay while my G80X slightly lags... maybe a tcu/tq thing.

But that sleek white look with the low roof lines makes up for it no doubt:

Last edited by Vic55; 08-29-2022 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 3
      09-12-2022, 10:43 AM   #22
sds
Rep
Drives: BRZ

The M8 has a ton of presence--there are obvious tradeoffs (weight vs power), but I'd recommend driving it to see what matters more to you. It looks stunning in lighter colors.
Appreciate 0