home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

04-21-2023, 09:12 AM   #1
Severecorpse
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i MY23

Hi all,

Has anyone with an MY23 iDrive8 car noticed some green blocks / shift lights appear at the top of the dash on both sides (speed on the left and Revs on the right) as you’re revving towards the redline?

I’m almost certain it did this a few times the other night when I was in sport individual with manual gears using the paddles. But I’ve tried it since a few times and they haven’t appeared again.

I swear I’m not imagining it, but thinking I’m going a bit mad. I’m sure it was 2-3 blocks that appears at the top as I was reaching the redline before shifting and they’d then disappear, then start to reappear and build up as approaching the redline again.

Let me know if anyone has seen this before? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 09:20 AM   #2
eddj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severecorpse View Post
Hi all,

Has anyone with an MY23 iDrive8 car noticed some green blocks / shift lights appear at the top of the dash on both sides (speed on the left and Revs on the right) as you’re revving towards the redline?

I’m almost certain it did this a few times the other night when I was in sport individual with manual gears using the paddles. But I’ve tried it since a few times and they haven’t appeared again.

I swear I’m not imagining it, but thinking I’m going a bit mad. I’m sure it was 2-3 blocks that appears at the top as I was reaching the redline before shifting and they’d then disappear, then start to reappear and build up as approaching the redline again.

yes, this is true. when in manual and approaching rev line, the warning blocks for up-shifting will appear on the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 2
      04-21-2023, 09:43 AM   #3
Bandit009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severecorpse View Post
Hi all,

You didn’t imagine it. Once I past the break in period I tried manual shifing and saw those lights come on. It’s pretty cool. That being said I may have redlined mine once as I forgot I was in manual mode. If you’re in regular drive mode and use the paddles the car will default back to D if you stop using the paddles. HOWEVER, if you’re in S and use the paddles say for a downshift you’re now in Manual model and car does NOT default back to D. So if you’re at light after downshifting the car goes to M1. I thought it would default back D. I accelerated hard from the light and the dash lit like an xmas tree! Lol! I am very aware now which mode I am in before accelerating hard.
Appreciate 1
eddj464.50
      04-21-2023, 09:52 AM   #4
Severecorpse
Private
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i MY23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit009 View Post
You didn’t imagine it. Once I past the break in period I tried manual shifing and saw those lights come on. It’s pretty cool. That being said I may have redlined mine once as I forgot I was in manual mode. If you’re in regular drive mode and use the paddles the car will default back to D if you stop using the paddles. HOWEVER, if you’re in S and use the paddles say for a downshift you’re now in Manual model and car does NOT default back to D. So if you’re at light after downshifting the car goes to M1. I thought it would default back D. I accelerated hard from the light and the dash lit like an xmas tree! Lol! I am very aware now which mode I am in before accelerating hard.
Great, thanks for this, I’ll give it another try!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 09:35 AM   #5
AWcoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 240i xDrive

Garage List
2023 BMW M240  [0.00]
2015 BMW 235xi  [0.00]
I thought I read that the shift light appears in the HUD. It shows on the dash? I haven’t approached redline yet. Need to investigate
2009 BMW 328xi Alpine White-Traded
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2023, 11:09 AM   #6
maggies_dad
Private
Rep
Drives: '23 230i

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWcoupe View Post
I thought I read that the shift light appears in the HUD. It shows on the dash? I haven’t approached redline yet. Need to investigate
if you have the HUD set to Sport or one of the other views besides just the normal view they will show there too, but otherwise it's just in the top part of the instrument cluster between the tack and speedo
Appreciate 1
AWcoupe167.00