BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
BMW 2 Series Forums (G42) G42 2-Series General Topics

05-11-2023, 02:41 PM   #1
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

Anyone know WHY you need coding if fitting the MP front splitter and/or diffuser?

The only thing I can think of is if they make the dimensions slightly longer and adjusts the parking sensors but even that seems tenuous as it must be a few mm only.

From the installation manual:

Last edited by JoeyJoeJo; 05-11-2023 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 05:03 PM   #2
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

It’s for coding out the rear contactless boot opening - where you toe poke the car to open the boot. As the G42 doesn’t have this, you don’t need to code.

I don’t know why you would have to code out tho. Don’t know if the feature wouldn’t work due to the carbon fibre or some other reason.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 03:32 AM   #3
JoeyJoeJo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G42 M240ix

This is from the G42 manual so you'd think they'd know it wasn't fitted (unless it is in some markets?). Anf if there was an apperture for a sensor, you'd think that would be in the CF part too.
And can't think a lower lip at the front would impact any functionality other than maybe being a couple of mm longer.

Not a big deal, just curious and if you happen to install aftermarket parts, they're not getting coded so....
      05-12-2023, 04:56 AM   #4
Pentland
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i (G42)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJo View Post
This is from the G42 manual so you'd think they'd know it wasn't fitted (unless it is in some markets?). Anf if there was an apperture for a sensor, you'd think that would be in the CF part too.
And can't think a lower lip at the front would impact any functionality other than maybe being a couple of mm longer.

Not a big deal, just curious and if you happen to install aftermarket parts, they're not getting coded so....
I know from my F36 there was nothing visible (no aperture) that indicated contactless boot opening was fitted. It worked through the plastic diffuser.

Total guesses but I can imagine that the software is generic to several vehicles and some 2 series (e.g. G20) has the comfort boot opening. I could also accept the carbon fibre affects (perhaps blocks?) the sensor and you have to code it out to avoid an error or the sensor wanting to always open the boot.
As I said though, the last paragraph is all assumptions and probably wrong!
Appreciate 0