BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-27-2023, 01:19 PM   #1
Yev
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5 Diesel

Auxiliary EGR cooler leaking internally into exhaust system. Repair cost $7K???

2018 BMW X5 3.0D with 94K miles. Extended warranty (EasyCare VSC Silver) up to 100K miles.

Story:

In the past few months I've been having issue with coolant leak. Had to fill reservoir every 500 miles or so. Took car to the dealer twice with the same issue. They charged $250 each time for pressure test and inspection but did not find anything.
Then on the 3rd time I've decided to take it to another dealer.
After close inspection they found following, and I quote:

Comments: Verified coolant level below minimum at time of diagnosis. Pressure tested cooling system, no active leaks present. Pressure tested cooling system over the weekend, Found auxiliary EGR cooler leaking internally into exhaust system. Recommend replacement of auxiliary EGR cooler and main EGR cooler with intake manifold as consequential internal coolant leak damage.
Repair Estimate:
$6383.25

I have EasyCare VSC Silver coverage for up to 100K miles.

My current milage is 94K. According to coverage that I have, repairs should be covered. But my dealer states that EasyCare declined it.

Now I'm stuck between rock and a hard place.

1. Does the estimate looks way overpriced?
2. Chance of making EasyCare paying for repair?

Just a bit lost here. Any recommendations?

Appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2023, 04:06 PM   #2
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
You need to look at the "fine print" and exclusions on your warranty. If the problem/parts/issue isn't specifically excluded and you are under the time/mileage you have a legit claim. Have you talked to the warranty company and confirmed the claim has been denied? Ask for a copy of their report/denial and the grounds. You may have a fight on your hands. These are basically insurance policies not warranties and there are all kinds of exclusions and interpretations. Even if successful they try to jack you with LKQ parts. They may even blame you for negligence not finding the issue in a timely manner. They are in business to take your money and not pay out claims especially at the end of your term.

Appreciate 2
LDT1539.50
davchr80.50
      07-17-2023, 07:32 PM   #3
pault1980
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 G30 530D

Hope the OP got this sorted via the endless worldwide recalls BMW have on EGR coolers including replacement of intake manifolds.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2023, 10:10 PM   #4
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yev View Post
2018 BMW X5 3.0D with 94K miles. Extended warranty (EasyCare VSC Silver) up to 100K miles.

Story:

In the past few months I've been having issue with coolant leak. Had to fill reservoir every 500 miles or so. Took car to the dealer twice with the same issue. They charged $250 each time for pressure test and inspection but did not find anything.
Then on the 3rd time I've decided to take it to another dealer.
After close inspection they found following, and I quote:

Comments: Verified coolant level below minimum at time of diagnosis. Pressure tested cooling system, no active leaks present. Pressure tested cooling system over the weekend, Found auxiliary EGR cooler leaking internally into exhaust system. Recommend replacement of auxiliary EGR cooler and main EGR cooler with intake manifold as consequential internal coolant leak damage.

Repair Estimate:

$6383.25

I have EasyCare VSC Silver coverage for up to 100K miles.

My current milage is 94K. According to coverage that I have, repairs should be covered. But my dealer states that EasyCare declined it.

Now I'm stuck between rock and a hard place.

1. Does the estimate looks way overpriced?
2. Chance of making EasyCare paying for repair?

Just a bit lost here. Any recommendations?

Appreciate your help!
BMW had a replacement for those that they covered coverage was extended to 125,000 miles. I believe I would get back to the dealer and talk to them.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:12 PM   #5
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swainbmw View Post
BMW had a replacement for those that they covered coverage was extended to 125,000 miles. I believe I would get back to the dealer and talk to them.

It’s covered from BMW 125,000 miles
Appreciate 1
LDT1539.50