F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Lane departure issue
GetBMWParts

07-01-2023, 10:29 PM   #1
dazzles
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 328d

Question Lane departure issue

THIS HAS BEEN RESOLVED/FIXED SEE COMMENTS FOR HELP

Hello f30 fam,
Long time lurker, first time poster. This forum is honestly fantastic so I'm hoping someone can help me navigate through this issue i'm having.

Car: 2016 328d xdrive wagon (f31)

While driving, if I get the Lane departure to activate (by driving over a lane without blinkers on as an example) i will get an error on the dash saying the lane assist is malfucntioning.

The ISTA errors are:

48004 KAFAS interface (TLC ready for operation):signal invalid
48004A SZL interface *steering wheel vibration): Signal invalid
800A07 Vibration motor in steering wheel faulty

I am thinking it may be a faulty Steering Wheel Vibration Generator, but I am not sure why I would get a KAFAS and SZL code as well.

I also should note that I also have
800BE0 and 800BDB code because my side camera is currently being replaced (i ordered it, it stopped working) but i do not think these issues are related.

Also, my active blind spot monitor that will also malfunction, not sure if it happens during lane switches with lane departure, or independently. Not sure if this is related to either the camera missing, or the lane departure issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by dazzles; 07-14-2023 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: F32=/=F31
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 09:37 AM   #2
dazzles
Rep

Edit 1:
I ordered the vibration generator, going to keep this thread updated to help people in the future if they encounter this behavior.

Last edited by dazzles; 07-02-2023 at 09:38 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i N26

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzles View Post
Edit 1:
I ordered the vibration generator, going to keep this thread updated to help people in the future if they encounter this behavior.
Sensible decision. But I would also check to exclude any power/ground/wiring issues going to the vibration motor itself.
      07-02-2023, 05:13 PM   #4
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

I find it interesting people retrofitting this as I had it and ended up turning it off, as many others have mentioned they do the same. Maybe if driving drunk or distracted or long hours of highway driving with no sleep. Otherwise, I’m not sure of the attraction.
Appreciate 1
Wires1664.50
      07-02-2023, 06:49 PM   #5
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
I find it interesting people retrofitting this as I had it and ended up turning it off, as many others have mentioned they do the same. Maybe if driving drunk or distracted or long hours of highway driving with no sleep. Otherwise, I’m not sure of the attraction.
I am in the process of adding lane change warning and I don't care for the vibrator (or the heater) either, but unless you are certain and you can confirm, I do not think that the lane change system would work without the steering wheel module that is designed for the heater. My car has neither a heater nor a vibrator nor electric seats, so I had to get a steering wheel module that already came with the vibrator and harness (for $80 total on Ebay). I am not retrofitting the steering wheel heater function, because I never used that even in Canada, but needed the module so the proper LIN signals are passed to/from the FEM. Unless, someone can confirm that for the lane change warning the LIN will work properly with my factory non-heating steering and non-electric seat steering wheel module.
      07-02-2023, 07:29 PM   #6
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Cannot be much help. On my F30 I did not have heated seats or heated steering wheel but know the leather msport steering wheel was a heated steering wheel. It is listed on realoem as needed for lane change and drivers assistance. I also know to be careful of used steering wheels as many come from cars where the airbag was deployed and replaced by insurance. BMW calls for replacing the steering wheel after airbag deployment.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2029950
Appreciate 1
fe7565556.50
      07-02-2023, 07:40 PM   #7
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by YASBBYM3 View Post
Me too. Even the sales guy said it wasn't great, and he suggested I turn it off. Tried it for a bit, found it not great, turned it off. Fast forward 6-years, thought I'd try it again, and same deal -- back to off.

Sorry no help to your original question OP, other than mine is disabled because I don't like it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 08:49 PM   #8
dazzles
Rep

OCD

I am fixing this for two reasons:
I am very OCD with my vehicles, and i like everything to work, whether or not I use it. To make matters worse, i've always loved BMW's and that's basically the perfect and worst OCD vehicle, anytime there is any potential issue, you get lights and errors everywhere.
The other, more sensible reason I want this fixed, is because my blind spot sensor will also not work (i presume because there is a vibration in the steering wheel when there is danger??)
I erased all codes, turned off lane assist, and turned on blind spot monitoring, went for a drive, and as soon as i tried turning into a vehicle with my blinkers on, I got the error that blind spot is malfunctioning.
The two errors codes I have now are:
48004A - SZL interface (steering wheel vibration) Signal Invalid
800A07 - Vibration motor in steering wheel faulty

I believe this strengthens my hypothesis that it's indeed this fella.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 08:51 PM   #9
dazzles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
Sensible decision. But I would also check to exclude any power/ground/wiring issues going to the vibration motor itself.
Should have done that before ordering the part, but, I suppose I'm going to be able to test this once the part gets here. Is there a simple way to test this? I don't believe there's always power going to the motor in the steering wheel? It likely only sends power when the ECU triggers the motor on?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 09:23 PM   #10
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Should have done that before ordering the part, but, I suppose I'm going to be able to test this once the part gets here. Is there a simple way to test this? I don't believe there's always power going to the motor in the steering wheel? It likely only sends power when the ECU triggers the motor on?
I would need to look up the ISTA+ wiring diagrams, but since you already have the part coming in, easier just to replace it and see if that solves it. If not, then you can start looking at the wiring.
      07-08-2023, 02:51 PM   #11
dazzles
Rep

Final edit and fix

Posting a final edit for anyone who may have this issue in the future.
The issue was the Steering Vibration Generator part no: 32337849416
Be careful, because depending on what steering wheel you have, there are two types of steering vibration generators that will fit your car.
32337849416 - for MSPORT steering wheel aka the skinny boy
32336787451 - for SPORT steering wheels aka the thick boy

Good luck to everyone and thanks for your attempt to help.
Adieu
Appreciate 2
fe7565556.50
Wires1664.50
      07-08-2023, 04:13 PM   #12
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Posting a final edit for anyone who may have this issue in the future.
The issue was the Steering Vibration Generator part no: 32337849416
Be careful, because depending on what steering wheel you have, there are two types of steering vibration generators that will fit your car.
32337849416 - for MSPORT steering wheel aka the skinny boy
32336787451 - for SPORT steering wheels aka the thick boy

Good luck to everyone and thanks for your attempt to help.
Adieu
Thank you for the update! Glad you resolved it.
      07-10-2023, 06:23 PM   #13
dazzles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe7565 View Post
I am in the process of adding lane change warning and I don't care for the vibrator (or the heater) either, but unless you are certain and you can confirm, I do not think that the lane change system would work without the steering wheel module that is designed for the heater. My car has neither a heater nor a vibrator nor electric seats, so I had to get a steering wheel module that already came with the vibrator and harness (for $80 total on Ebay). I am not retrofitting the steering wheel heater function, because I never used that even in Canada, but needed the module so the proper LIN signals are passed to/from the FEM. Unless, someone can confirm that for the lane change warning the LIN will work properly with my factory non-heating steering and non-electric seat steering wheel module.
I am not 100% sure, but i'm fairly confident that you cannot get the lane assist or blind spot to work without the vibration mechanism. For me, both were disabled due to a faulty vibrating mech. It would not even allow the BSM on my mirrors to work, fantastic decision by BMW to disable everything because steering wheel can't go BRR.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2023, 09:50 PM   #14
fe7565
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you. Will see... I think I have all the parts.
      07-11-2023, 08:01 AM   #15
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
You have to be almost the first person that circled back, changed the first post (clearly) so people can actual see that there was solution! That is awesome, and thanks for letting everyone know.
Appreciate 2
fe7565556.50
      07-14-2023, 04:59 PM   #16
dazzles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wires View Post
You have to be almost the first person that circled back, changed the first post (clearly) so people can actual see that there was solution! That is awesome, and thanks for letting everyone know.
Ha, thank you, I just thought of others that might struggle with a needle in a haystack situation like I was The amount of times I've found my exact issue described somewhere on a forum for the OP to just vanish...
Appreciate 1
Wires1664.50
      08-01-2023, 01:22 PM   #17
seabassmty
Rep
Drives: 2018 430i Grand Coupe

Quote:

Hello f30 fam,
Long time lurker, first time poster. This forum is honestly fantastic so I'm hoping someone can help me navigate through this issue i'm having.

Car: 2016 328d xdrive wagon (f31)

While driving, if I get the Lane departure to activate (by driving over a lane without blinkers on as an example) i will get an error on the dash saying the lane assist is malfucntioning.

The ISTA errors are:

48004 KAFAS interface (TLC ready for operation):signal invalid
48004A SZL interface *steering wheel vibration): Signal invalid
800A07 Vibration motor in steering wheel faulty

I am thinking it may be a faulty Steering Wheel Vibration Generator, but I am not sure why I would get a KAFAS and SZL code as well.

I also should note that I also have
800BE0 and 800BDB code because my side camera is currently being replaced (i ordered it, it stopped working) but i do not think these issues are related.

Also, my active blind spot monitor that will also malfunction, not sure if it happens during lane switches with lane departure, or independently. Not sure if this is related to either the camera missing, or the lane departure issue.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks, great post, how you figure out that the problem was only the vibration generator and not the module on the stearin wheel?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 11:32 AM   #18
dazzles
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabassmty View Post
Thanks, great post, how you figure out that the problem was only the vibration generator and not the module on the stearin wheel?
Sorry, haven't been on in a while. I think it made perfect sense, the module would have likely caused the options to always be off (think my options worked unless i have triggered them in a way to get the vibration mechanism to engage, in which case it would turn off and display errors/ista codes
Appreciate 0