BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-14-2023, 11:37 AM   #1
faloppi88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Dealer Maintenance Suggestions at ~40K

Hi, 2021 BMW X5 xdrive40i with about 40,000 miles and the dealer is saying beyond the included maintenance the car needs a $590 fuel system cleaning and a $750 x-drive fluid change - I've searched around the forums and bmw maintenance guidelines and I don't see anywhere where either of those things are recommended, especially at this mileage. I do see where some have elected to change x-drive fluids between 60k and 90k, but seems based more on personal preference, not a BMW requirement or suggestion. Not to mention, those prices seem outrageous! I've had good luck with this dealer in the past and never felt like anything was pushed that wasn't required, but I declined this one quickly. Given we run premium and the detergents in fuel these days, is a fuel system cleaning ever really needed? I could see at higher mileage the xdrive and transmission maybe being smart if we elect to keep the car long-term. Any additional thoughts? There wasn't a good post for me to tag onto, I did try and look. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
Gene Horr
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Note that this is from general automotive experience and may not apply to your brand/model.

I would not do the fuel system cleaning. That looks more like one of those "mechanic has a boat payment they need to make" type items as you don't have very many miles, have used good fuel, and have no noted problems.

Transfer case and differentials are different. Wear can be very sensitive to the fluid and there is no such thing as fluids that last for "life". Unless "life" means "until it breaks". While the mileage looks low to me - I would consider 75k - 100k to be a better idea - IMO this is something that you will want to do at some point before a problem develops.

Gene
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 08:44 PM   #3
faloppi88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Appreciate the feedback, thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 10:10 PM   #4
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Horr View Post
Note that this is from general automotive experience and may not apply to your brand/model.

I would not do the fuel system cleaning. That looks more like one of those "mechanic has a boat payment they need to make" type items as you don't have very many miles, have used good fuel, and have no noted problems.

Transfer case and differentials are different. Wear can be very sensitive to the fluid and there is no such thing as fluids that last for "life". Unless "life" means "until it breaks". While the mileage looks low to me - I would consider 75k - 100k to be a better idea - IMO this is something that you will want to do at some point before a problem develops.

Gene
How many years would you go if it’s a low mileage car?. And how many years also for transmission I’ll probably be at 20,000 miles in 5 years
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:48 PM   #5
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Don’t do that fuel system cleaning. For $570c all you get is a bottle of additive to fuel tank. There is nothing once can do at this price to really clean anything at all.

Transfer case and diff fluid, IMO, although not in bmw maintenance schedule, I will have them done at 50-60K. They aren’t expanding. Mainly cost is labor.

The key is, don’t go to dealer.
      02-22-2024, 02:36 PM   #6
jjfairway
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5, 528i

Any GDI fuel system benefits from a fuel system cleaning. My old shop used BG products where we hooked up to the fuel input so we’re directly spraying cleaner into the valves since you no longer benefit from fuel wash on the valves. GDI engines spray fuel directly into the cylinder and the carbon buildup can cause buildup on the valves and wreak havoc on air/fuel readings. Most makes stuck with their original 100k recommendations but I’d do a GDI system cleaning 1x per year given what I’ve seen. Granted, I own a BMW but we didn’t work on them that often. My GDI service cost about $200 three years ago. Its probably closer to $400 now. BG also gives warranty benefit if your vehicle is under 50k should anything go wrong in the next 25k. We also would pour additive in the fuel tank to enhance the cleaning process.
Appreciate 0