BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-05-2023, 07:26 PM   #1
juancasala
Private
Rep
Drives: 45e +Wife’s i3

Oil Interval for 45e

Hey you all,

Maybe I super-baby my car, but I’ve always done a mid-cycle oil change (5K / 6 mo’s, even though most BMW ICE’s are 1 year / 10K miles.)

I’ve been doing the same with the 45e, whereas I’m all-electric for about 60% of the miles…

This summer, though, I’ve been really “pushing” the engine - longer road trips, gunning the gas pedal, and finally did some Launch Control’s.

With only 4K total miles since the last service (let’s say that’s 50/50 electric/gasoline) would anyone here recommend a mid-cycle oil change (is there a benefit?) or should I just treat it as the machine that it is, and go for full year / 10K miles.

Thank you for your advice!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2023, 02:54 PM   #2
Gene Horr
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

You are going to hear varying opinions on this.

In general I would continue your normal routine. Every time in the past that a manufacturer has stated that they now have magical lubricants that can allow a part to last "for life" or at least an extremely long time, it has been what a normal person would call a lie. Unless your definition of "life" means "just good enough to allow it to limp past the warranty expiration." But base the engine oil on gasoline miles/time. If you have 4k miles but only 2k of that is on the ICE I wouldn't worry about it even if it was hard driving. If you had an engine with less than 4L oil capacity and a tiny filter I would be more concerned.

Keep changing it at 5k ICE miles or when the computer says to, whichever comes first.

But keep in mind this is opinion only. While I do have experience with maintaining a variety of ICE engines for their "real" lifetimes, I do not have experience with this one.
Appreciate 1